Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Trailhawk All Terrain A/T Tire & Wheel Alternatives

349K views 269 replies 111 participants last post by  MightylilRen 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tire Size Alternatives

With the release of the Trailhawk close at hand and no sign of the promised Falken WildPeak A/T 215/65R17 tires I went searching for possible alternative A/T tire sizes for the Trailhawk, since the stock 215/65R17 is an uncommon size. Perhaps Falken is just running behind schedule with their development and they will be available soon?

I’ve searched dozens of tire sizes, brands and models. This first thing I learned using the 1010tires.com Tire Size Calculator was this pop-up warning:

Quote:
WARNING!
When changing tire sizes, we recommend staying within 3% of the diameter of the original tire. Any more than this and you face the risk of brake failure.
So I present the Trailhawk Alternative Tire Size Analysis, PLEASE READ the Analysis Table Notes, in the next post.

--Another Trailhawk Tire Info Thread:
Wheels and Tire Specs

See less See more
#2 ·
Analysis Table Notes:

(1) Stock Trialhawk Tire Size is 215/65R17.

(2) Best Fit to Avoid getting Jeep Factory Warranty declared Void?

(3) The 225 size tire is .4" wider, .2" on the inner side that may cause rubbing.

(4) The 235 size will require New Rims or Wheel Spacers to avoid rubbing.

(5) 1010tires Recommends to be +/- 3% in Diameter Variance to your stock tires:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=215-65r17-215-70r16

(6) The combined Tire and Wheel Weight, if it exceeds stock, may have a negative impact on drivetrain wear.

(7) Jeep lists the Falken Wildpeak in the Renegade literature and they claim it is being developed.

Reactions: puddlesplasher
#83 ·
(1) Stock Trialhawk Tire Size is 215/65R17.

(2) Best Fit to Avoid getting Jeep Factory Warranty declared Void?

(3) The 225 size tire is .4" wider, .2" on the inner side that may cause rubbing.

(4) The 235 size will require New Rims or Wheel Spacers to avoid rubbing.

(5) 1010tires Recommends to be +/- 3% in Diameter Variance to your stock tires:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=215-65r17-215-70r16

(6) The combined Tire and Wheel Weight, if it exceeds stock, may have a negative impact on drivetrain wear.

(7) Jeep lists the Falken Wildpeak in the Renegade literature and they claim it is being developed.
Hi CalTom,
I have the Latitude 1.4/6-spd with 16-inch wheels, and I would like to upgrade from the stock Conti LX's to an all terrain tire. I've read very good reviews on the Cooper Discoverer AT/3. They don't make them in the stock size 215/65/16, the closest sizes they make are 215/85/16 and 225/75/16. Would either or both of those tires fit on the Latitude without problems or voiding the warranty? Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
-Tony

#3 ·
Size Selection & Warranty

Beyond the 3% WARNING! Diameter Variance rule, discussed above, that I'm also concerned about any possible impacts to the 9-speed automatic transmission, suspension and drivetrain component wear, but that is just the beginning. I want to make sure I have NO Impact on: Comfort, Road Noise, Handling, Steering, Braking, Alignment or Tire Wear.

Well okay, of course, there will be some compromise from a highway tread tire, but I’m speaking of trade-off between different brands and models of All Terrain A/T tires.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY: NO Impact on the Jeep Factory Warranty
So after reviewing the information tire size alternatives, perhaps the Best Size Selection may be the 215/70R16, for the reason being it is the same width as the stock tire and it is .15 inches shorter that the stock 28" tire height. This may help from Jeep claiming a larger diameter tire size contributed to any warranty claims you may have and saying you voided your warranty.

#246 ·
Size Selection & Warranty

Beyond the 3% WARNING! Diameter Variance rule, discussed above, that I'm also concerned about any possible impacts to the 9-speed automatic transmission, suspension and drivetrain component wear, but that is just the beginning. I want to make sure I have NO Impact on: Comfort, Road Noise, Handling, Steering, Braking, Alignment or Tire Wear.

Well okay, of course, there will be some compromise from a highway tread tire, but I’m speaking of trade-off between different brands and models of All Terrain A/T tires.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY: NO Impact on the Jeep Factory Warranty

So after reviewing the information tire size alternatives, perhaps the Best Size Selection may be the 215/70R16, for the reason being it is the same width as the stock tire and it is .15 inches shorter that the stock 28" tire height. This may help from Jeep claiming a larger diameter tire size contributed to any warranty claims you may have and saying you voided your warranty.
I just purchased a set of Cooper AT3s at 235/60/R17 for my 2016 Trailhawk. They are .2 inches taller than stock and fit just fine with no rubbing. Ran it through some bogs this last week and it performed beautifully.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Wheel Size, Diameter and Offset

Depending on the tire size you select, if you have to buy new wheels you will lose the cool looking Trailhawk wheels, with the red Willy's on them, but that is the trade-off that has to be made. Perhaps a cool off-road rugged looking wheel will make the Trailhawk look even better.

So the next challenge is to find alternative 16” or 17” wheels, with the Renegade’s 5x110mm bolt pattern. The stock offset is ET40, but with the 225 or 235 tire size this may need to be different.

The Cherokee also uses the 5x110 bolt pattern so that may help when searching for alternative wheels.

Please post photos and links to any potential wheel alternatives you find.

#6 ·
Best Brand & Model Tire for the Trailhawk

What is the Best Brand and model tire to choose for the Trailhawk? Well of course that is somewhat subjective, what combination are you looking for, Ride, Handling, Mileage?

For me, the Best combination of On-Road Comfort, Minimum On-Road Noise and Good Off-Road Traction. Review of surveys such as the one at Tirerack and others helps:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

For example, in the 215/70R16 size, the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S has the Lowest Noise, Best Comfort and Good Dry Traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...ameter=16&showwp=N&showdp=N&showws=N&showcm=N

What Brand and model best fits your needs?

#7 ·
I was looking at this stuff last week. It seems the Trailhawk tire size is just very unusual. Based on the fact that I won't be doing any rock crawling, I decided I may be better off going with the Latitude with the 1.4L turbo and that way I can get the 6-speed manual too.

The standard tire size on the manual Latitude is 215/65/16, and there are a ton of A/T tires available in that size including both the Yokohama Geolandar and General Grabber AT2. I think the Grabbers look like the better tire (I love the more rugged look), but I'd have to do some reading to determine which is best. But either way, you seem to have a lot of choice at that size.

#9 ·
I'm not sure about the trailhawk tires, but I suspect some folks want a more aggressive tire for off-roading.

As for me, I would get the trailhawk for sure if it came with the 1.4L turbo & manual transmission. But since it doesn't, I think I may get the Latitude and then throw some AT tires on it as the Latitude just comes with regular all season car tires and I want something more rugged.

#15 ·
Your correct, A/T tires will reduce your fuel mileage. If you want a Trailhawk for its looks alone or to take on some mild dirt roads or trails the OEM tires will be fine for you.

If you want to go on more challenging offroad routes, deeply rutted, washed out trails, rocks or boulders you need more agreesive treads on your tires. This also helps to keep your tires intact on the wheels when you hit a sharp rock or tree stump as many tires with agreesive treads have heavier sidewalls.

It really comes down to how and where you want to USE your Trailhawk.

Reactions: twospirits
#17 ·
They can't specify replacement parts. Even for tires labeled exactly the same, there are a range of actual measured diameters despite the sidewall label. On top of that, the OEM selection of tires on the same drive train from the factory are fairly different. On top of THAT, there just aren't that many choices of tires that will fit at all.

I think the reality is that without a lift kit, you won't have a choice of something likely to cause debate of the subject.

With a lift, if a lift is a thing one can get done on the renegade, it will not void the warranty on anything other than stuff immediately affected by the lift, wheels, and tires.

A quick example of a few scenarios.

You do a lift with bigger tires, strut spacers, and wheel spacer to get everything to fit. It looks hella cool, but...

a) your air conditioner stops working. They can't deny because your changes have nothing to do with that.
b) your wheel bearings die a very early death. They can and should deny that, because with spacers you changed the offset of your wheels and thus increased stress on the thrust bearings. You might get away with it, but the most likely culprit is your modification of the vehicle, and a denial is justified.
c) You hit a vicious pothole and your suspension mount rips through the body. They'll deny you lift kit or no, because you struck something. Lift kit has nothing to do with the denial, even if the lift kit was designed like crap and exacerbated the situation.
d) The car keeps on overheating. This would depend on the design of the vehicle. Bigger tires can make the tranny and engine work harder. That could lead to overheating, especially if the design of the vehicle uses the radiator to cool the transmission fluid. However, they should perform diagnostics and warn you you will be billed if it is related to the modifications. If they find a bum circuit breaker or fusible link is causing the fan to not cycle properly, that is MUCH more likely to be the culprit and should be warrantied as it has nothing to do with your modifications. Similar if they find a coolant leak that doesn't look to have been caused by the monkeys who installed your kit. If they find something they can argue is the result of faulty work, it's not warrantable, you need to take it up with the hack who damaged your vehicle.

You want a fully intact warranty, don't mess with stuff too much.

#23 ·
Reactions: Indiana Jones
#30 ·
Reactions: gscj5
#31 ·
Do you know what width tires G-Force recommends with these, did G-Force stay with stock 215 size tires or go with 225?

The G-Force Offset also is not listed, if it is the same 40mm as the stock wheel then here is the difference calculation from the stock 6.5" wide wheel with a 40mm Offset:

Inner Clearance: 6mm LESS
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator#

If 225 tires are recommended, which are .2" wider that stock, and the 7" wheel pushes inward by 6mm (.24") then the 225 tires are now .44" closer to the Strut Springs than stock.

So the question is, can the Renegade handle that, will you get tire rub?

#43 ·
I did my in person tire research on my Trialhawk test drive yesterday, here are the highlights:

Larger Tires: I carefully examined the wheel wheels to see the possibility of larger tires. I turned the steering to get the front wheels to be angled so the rear of the front tires were at their closet point to the rear of the wheel well, there is only about 3/4" clearance, maybe 2" on the front side. For the rear wheels, at the front side of the tire, there is a plastic protrusion that is only about 1" from the tire, maybe it is clearance for the seat bolts. There should be enough room for a 225/65R17 (28.52 inch diameter), but that may be the limit.

Spare wheel room: Looks like there is room for a 225, 235 may be pushing it.

#44 ·
Here is an update in the search for alternative 16" wheels for the Trailhawk. Due to the limited availability of 215/65R17 All Terrain tires, dropping down to a 16" wheel opens up other options for All Terrain Tires. For reference here are the stock wheels:

Trailhawk Stock 17" Wheel - 17x6.5 - ET40

Latitude Stock 16" Wheel - 16x7 - ET40

Below are the best I could find to date for trucky, beefy wheels that match the character of the Renegade Trailhawk (your opinion my differ, peace). All wheels had to be available in the U.S. I did find some that are listed as discontinued but some stock may still exist.

This search was mostly limited to size searches as no wheel websites have the Renegade listed yet. I did find that the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200 use the same 16"x7", 5x110mm wheel as the Renegade. The Cherokee uses 17"x7.5", 5x110mm wheels. Once wheel dealers get the Renegade on their websites we may see more wheel styles show up.

Please respond with which wheels you think would look good on the Renegade Trailhawk?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.