Advice:When to call it quits on my beloved 2015 Trailhawk?
Hello, friends. (yes, we haven't met, I'm a newbie...)
I'm wanting your thoughts and advice about when to call it quits with my beloved 2015 (non-recalled) Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. Jenny and I have been together since the beginning and, for the most part, we've gotten along really well until recently when her transmission gave me a scare that is making me re-evaluate our relationship.
Is it time for us to break up?
We've been great pals for the past few years. Sure, her transmission was a bit wonky--on cold mornings she would occasionally lurch backward while driving her out of the garage--and I learned that it was better to let her warm up a bit longer before asking her to move. Occasionally she shifted when I didn't think she should, a few random lights came on/off every now and then, but nothing serious, nothing that lasted more than a few seconds, nothing that she couldn't seem to fix on her own. But now...now so much is different with her. Now her transmission decided to intervene in our heretofore carefree and joyous relationship.
Our story is one that is similar to others shared here before: while happily driving home, she began losing power at 40mph (in 9th!) Service Transmission light came on, couldn't move her into a lower gear, then lost all forward motion as we crested a wee hill while in the middle of a one lane rural road. She couldn't take it any more and came to a dead stop, engine still running. I put her in park, found her hazards lights, sighed, cursed, decided to try again. She complied, although she was in 4th now, and we managed to make it home a mile away, but she refused my desperate plea to shift into other gears. We sat in the driveway for a bit--me, breathing heavily, her purring as she always did after a long drive home. I turned her off, she sat quietly for a few minutes, and then I powered her back up and she returned to her normal self, albeit with a Service Engine light now steadily on.
I called her parents, and they told me to have her towed to them. I obliged because I love her and she needed help. We needed help. They called back to tell me she needed a software update (two, in fact) and asked if they could keep her so that they could drive her around after her fix to see if she felt good and normal again. I'm waiting to hear back from them now. But did they really fix her? Will she really be well again? Can I trust her after her transmission tantrum?
I want to believe that she wants to change. I want to believe that her one, dire and terrifying episode is behind us, that the remedy is really a cure, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure we can take that chance. We live in a rural area--dirt roads, hills, no cell coverage--and if she misbehaves again it might be the *literal* death of us both. Can I, should I, take that risk, or should I call it quits and break up with her?
I love her, I really do. She's kickass when I am not. She climbs things when I'm too afraid to do it on my own. She takes me places I wouldn't have gone if it were not for her. I smile when I see her, I feel giddy and happy when we go places together--just the two of us, off on a adventure to wherever we want to go.
She's been my pal, my bestie, my gurl for the past few years, but is it time for us to go our separate ways???