Advice:When to call it quits on my beloved 2015 Trailhawk? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Advice:When to call it quits on my beloved 2015 Trailhawk?

Hello, friends. (yes, we haven't met, I'm a newbie...)

I'm wanting your thoughts and advice about when to call it quits with my beloved 2015 (non-recalled) Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. Jenny and I have been together since the beginning and, for the most part, we've gotten along really well until recently when her transmission gave me a scare that is making me re-evaluate our relationship.

Is it time for us to break up?

We've been great pals for the past few years. Sure, her transmission was a bit wonky--on cold mornings she would occasionally lurch backward while driving her out of the garage--and I learned that it was better to let her warm up a bit longer before asking her to move. Occasionally she shifted when I didn't think she should, a few random lights came on/off every now and then, but nothing serious, nothing that lasted more than a few seconds, nothing that she couldn't seem to fix on her own. But now...now so much is different with her. Now her transmission decided to intervene in our heretofore carefree and joyous relationship.

Our story is one that is similar to others shared here before: while happily driving home, she began losing power at 40mph (in 9th!) Service Transmission light came on, couldn't move her into a lower gear, then lost all forward motion as we crested a wee hill while in the middle of a one lane rural road. She couldn't take it any more and came to a dead stop, engine still running. I put her in park, found her hazards lights, sighed, cursed, decided to try again. She complied, although she was in 4th now, and we managed to make it home a mile away, but she refused my desperate plea to shift into other gears. We sat in the driveway for a bit--me, breathing heavily, her purring as she always did after a long drive home. I turned her off, she sat quietly for a few minutes, and then I powered her back up and she returned to her normal self, albeit with a Service Engine light now steadily on.

I called her parents, and they told me to have her towed to them. I obliged because I love her and she needed help. We needed help. They called back to tell me she needed a software update (two, in fact) and asked if they could keep her so that they could drive her around after her fix to see if she felt good and normal again. I'm waiting to hear back from them now. But did they really fix her? Will she really be well again? Can I trust her after her transmission tantrum?

I want to believe that she wants to change. I want to believe that her one, dire and terrifying episode is behind us, that the remedy is really a cure, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure we can take that chance. We live in a rural area--dirt roads, hills, no cell coverage--and if she misbehaves again it might be the *literal* death of us both. Can I, should I, take that risk, or should I call it quits and break up with her?

I love her, I really do. She's kickass when I am not. She climbs things when I'm too afraid to do it on my own. She takes me places I wouldn't have gone if it were not for her. I smile when I see her, I feel giddy and happy when we go places together--just the two of us, off on a adventure to wherever we want to go.

She's been my pal, my bestie, my gurl for the past few years, but is it time for us to go our separate ways???
HawaiiOutback likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Did you drive thru deep water or mud?
Check the electrical connections and apply ekectrical tuneup grease.
Kwelmas likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Give her a chance to work things out.
Silver Hawk had the flash update about 2 years ago and has been doing well ever since.
Kwelmas likes this.

2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 PM

First Name: Dennis
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Garage
How many miles on the TH? What speed does your Renegade get into 9th? Were you slowing down and the transmission remained in 9th without downshifting? From your description this sounds like your first problem, if it is I would at least wait and see how things turn out. Your 2015 has a 100k powertrain warranty. Good luck and keep us posted.
Kwelmas likes this.

2015 Renegade Latitude - Sierra Blue
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:00 PM

First Name: Mrsig
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
and enjoy the forum! Give her one more chance she loves you!
Kwelmas likes this.

Me 07 JKUSR, CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org
White Jeep Club Member # 137
To see my mods or Jeep in action go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife
2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4x4 2.4L, 9 speed Auto.
White Jeep Club Member # BU01

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
If I NEEDED a vehicle, the Renegade would not be on my list.

I have several vehicles at my disposal, live and drive in mostly well populated areas, and have enough resources to procure transportation to my destination if I were to be left stranded by my 2015 Renegade (sorry - not named).

If I felt my life would be in danger if my vehicle decided not to run, I would find a more reliable vehicle than one made by FCA.
Kwelmas likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

"How many miles on the TH? What speed does your Renegade get into 9th? Were you slowing down and the transmission remained in 9th without downshifting? From your description this sounds like your first problem, if it is I would at least wait and see how things turn out. Your 2015 has a 100k powertrain warranty. Good luck and keep us posted."

Forgive me as I learn how to respond to your comments. Not as easy as I thought...

drg401, She has about 26K on her. Yes, we were slowing down from about 50 to 40 and she wouldn't downshift.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:12 PM

First Name: Dennis
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Garage
I am surprised your Renegade was in 9th gear at 50 mph. My Renegade will not run in 9th below 68mph. Not a lot of miles on your TH.
Kwelmas likes this.

2015 Renegade Latitude - Sierra Blue
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Still a better love story then twilight
Kwelmas likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Update: Reunited and it feels so good

(Dim the lights and queue Peaches and Herb...google it if you didn't immediately sing along ;-)

Picked up Jenny this afternoon. (Still covered in a wee bit of mud, but that's how she looks best.) She runs well, a bit better than before her transmission tantrum. Here are the codes, in case anyone is curious:

Pulled code P07F6-00
Found TSB 21-021-116

Successfully flashed TCM old part# 68297863AA to current # 68297863AE
Successfully flashed PCM old part# 68240754AG to current # 68240754AK

I don't really know what any of this means, but I thought I'd share it in case it was helpful or of interest to anyone.

One kinda weird thing is that a strange rumbling coming from the passenger side (eh, maybe not a rumble but rather a jiggle) is now gone. I took it in a few weeks ago because of the noise, and the mechanic said that the skid plate had loose/ missing bolts (how did *that* happen?) and that was the cause of the rumble I was hearing. But now the noise is totally gone. Related? Hmmmm...

In the meantime, I test drove the Subaru Crosstrek and the Mazda CX-5. The CX-5 was a wonderful drive--so smooth! The Crosstrek was fun, but the engine was really noisy. I gave them both serious consideration, but then I got back in Jenny, gave her dashboard a little pat and said, "Wonderful to see you again, ole gurl," started her up, and my heart melted.

Damn. Ain't love grand?

I'm crossing my fingers for us, hoping we'll be off on our next adventure soon, but if she acts up again, ya'll will be the first to know.

~k

Last edited by Kwelmas; 05-01-2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page