Another Transmission Issue - Page 4 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 10Likes

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeJeep View Post
Came on here as a new Jeep Renegade Trailhawk owner (2016, 35,000 miles) because of what sounds like the same issue others are experiencing. Mine tugs back on accelerating specifically shifting I think from 1st to 2nd gear (around 14-18mpg). That is the most noticeable and consistent tug, but I have also felt it when it seems to shift to other gears. I had a CRV before this, but also drove an old 1990 landcruiser for fieldwork and have driven a wide enough range of manual and automatic cars to know this doesn't feel right. I noticed something similar on a Rav4 and thought it was a transmission issue and didn't buy it. Somehow I missed this on the test drive. It reminds me of not when I fail to shift smoothly with a manual. I've also noticed a lag making a turn at a stop and in shifting from reverse, but it's the 1st to 2nd gear shift that really jolts me. Not sure if I should take it in (have a 60 day warranty but at a dealer over 100 miles away) in case it is something else causing this? Also since I am here, my jeep seems awfully bouncy at low speeds (25mpg and under). Is that just because of the suspension for off roading coupled with being a light vehicle? I currently have a love hate relationship with my Trailhawk and missing my 04 CRV.

Without driving your Jeep, it's difficult to say if what you're feeling is normal or not. First with the transmission. These 9 Speed ZF transmissions are not like many other automatic transmissions. They have internal clutches that operate completely different, similar to an automatic manual transmission. They can be clunky at times, especially when cold. My definition of "tug" may be different than yours, but like I said, it's a different kind of transmission. They can be slow shifting to Drive or Reverse also, it's just the design and software strategy. My suggestion is to not baby it as the software learns how you drive. Now if it really snaps between gears, that's not normal either.

As for the bouncy suspension, again my idea of bouncy could be different than yours. The Renegade does have a stiff suspension that you will feel bumps, but not bouncy like a spring. Bouncy is not normal and may show that the struts are worn.

I hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It does, thank you! I'm going to have the struts checked out and just give it some time with the shifting to see if it starts to adapt better to my driving/I get used to it.
CRZY4x4 likes this.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can only add that my local Jeep Expert (yours too, it turns out) told me "I wouldn't wish the Jeep 2014 9 speed transmission on my enemy"
apparently it has some major flaws that worked out with the next iteration of its release
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I always chuckle when someone says "the software went bad". I'm a programmer by trade and the programs I write run the same way every time. EVERY time, it has no choice, that's why it's called a "program", not artificial intelligence . Something else may change, but that program is gonna run the same every time....that's why you have issues. The situation has changed but the program is running as it was. "Adaptive software" isn't as smart as you would like to think it to be...
dgr401 and IDoMy0wnRacing like this.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeOfFunk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks130 View Post
Honestly, although it FEELS like it's been happening since the day I bought it, it was about 3 weeks after. If it had done it during the test drive, I would have passed it up for a different car.
Not to mention, I was told that buttoning through 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles is also normal. Found that out the hard way, by stalling, with no warning.
I REALLY REALLY want to love this car.
And I guess really I'm to blame for not researching better beforehand.

The 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles is not normal, despite what FCA says. Mine uses maybe half a quart every time 6,000 miles.
Finally they agreed to do an oil consumption test, after much whining on my part.
Needless to say they ordered a new engine for it today, as it went through "2 3/4 quarts in exactly 1000 miles"
I knew I wasn't crazy!!
IDoMy0wnRacing likes this.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:07 AM

First Name: Ed
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
WOW, that is Crazy.

Good for you getting a new engine.

Very Respectfully

Ed

Going fast is only half the fun... You get to build it first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page