As of 2019 the Manual Transmission is gone (US/Can); what happens to M6 resale value? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Mr.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
As of 2019 the Manual Transmission is gone (US/Can); what happens to M6 resale value?

It's all over but the tears for manual transmission Renegade fans in North America. Confirming recent speculation, the 2019 Jeep Renegade Fact Sheet on the FCA Media Site tells the story:

• The new 1.3L turbo engine becomes the top engine in Limited and Trailhawk models and is optionally available on Sport and Latitude
  • Regardless of model, the 1.3L turbo engine comes only with a reworked version of the 9-speed automatic transmission
  • The 2.4L normally-aspirated engine becomes the base powertrain in Sport and Latitude models and is also combined only with a 9-speed automatic transmission
  • As of 2019, there will no longer be a manual transmission available in any North American Renegade model
Details here: http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/new...=20073&mid=444

So, manual transmission fans, what do you think will become of resale values for existing (2015-2018) Renegades with a manual transmission?
Will those who prefer to shift for themselves seek out nice examples from pre-2019 model years and help support resale values?
Or will the manual transmission Renegades fade away as unloved orphans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Probably not much. The only effect it will have is reducing my interest in the 2019+ Renegade to near zero. And royally pissing me off.
Spitfire, Nev and jd41 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Renegade Latitude 1.4T
2015 Fiat 500 Sport - wife's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- project
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed. I have zero interest in a non manual vehicle, so I guess my next Jeep will have to be a Wrangler.

Jungle Green 75th Anniversary 1.4T
Madness GoPedal-Madness ECM
GFB DV+-1"wheel spacers
Mopar tow hitch bumper w/tow hook
that's all for now...
1963 VW Bug Black Sedan 1914cc
1998 TJ 4.0 Sport Moss Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Sad.

It was the 3rd or 4th dealership that I checked before I found a manual trans Renegade. Only one dealer had them, and thankfully they had quite a few at the time, two weeks ago. They asked me to fill out a survey after the purchase, one of the questions was asking why I purchased from them. I clearly stated because they were the only ones that had a manual trans.

2018 Latitude Altitude
1984 CJ7
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
I've always been a fan of manual trannys....until I started having to deal with rush hour traffic on a daily basis. I truly think I started walking with a limp because my left leg muscles were developed more than my right....

Seriously, I think manuals are fading away for several reasons. Automatics can give higher MPG's because the onboard computer can shift when optimal. Makes the manufacturer look better on paper. Also, not many people CAN drive a stick anymore. It's going the way of the blacksmith. When people find out that you can drive a stick, they actually respond with, "Really ?!?", like it's something anachronistic, which, in a sense, it is. I'm waiting for a millennial to slowly stroke my arm and say, "Aww, you so old..".

For a weekend/off-road driver or a true Jeep (I'm talking M-series, CJ's, Wranglers and such), a stick and a REAL transfer case is the only way to go. For a daily grind commute, yeah, I'll admit it, I'll take an automatic.

Unfortunately, most Jeeps sold today are for just that; daily commutes. Off-road today means turning off the road into your driveway.

As far as increasing value, the market for manuals is obviously already low or they'd still be pushing them. So the market won't increase once they stop, it'll actually get even lower because the market doesn't want them. Buyers will be looking for automatics because they've never learned on a manual. It's all economics. I'm making up numbers here, but let's say out of every 100 Jeeps sold, 5 or 10 have manual trannys. It's not worth the cost to continue to satisfy such a small market. A walk through a dealer lot can verify this. Way more autos than manuals. Because that's what sells.

I compare it to crank starts. At one time you had to manually crank start your engine. Then the electric starter came out. Gone were the cranks. If buying a car, would you choose the old crank start or the new easier electric start ? Automatic transmissions are plain easier.

Yes, manuals are much better...for certain situations and reasons. But not for the average schmuck behind the wheel. So manuals are going bye-bye.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
My oldest son went to Ecuador last April with the school. He didn't recall seeing one automatic. He said all vehicles, including busses and Taxi's were manuals. He jokingly said he may move there just so he can drive manuals. :lol:

2018 Latitude Altitude
1984 CJ7
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
Whenever Jeep sent me a survey I wrote "I would buy a manual Trailhawk" in every field that would allow it.

Jungle Green 75th Anniversary 1.4T
Madness GoPedal-Madness ECM
GFB DV+-1"wheel spacers
Mopar tow hitch bumper w/tow hook
that's all for now...
1963 VW Bug Black Sedan 1914cc
1998 TJ 4.0 Sport Moss Green
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:42 PM
JFS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
It seems to me the most basic Sport Renegade with the 2.4 auto will now get a tow rating, while the pricier upgraded models (except Trailhawk) with the 1.3L gets no towing recommended. Am I close on this?

Jon
2015 white Sport 4x4 M6, Air and Power packages, added Renegade 17 snowflakes and roof rails.

Last edited by JFS; 10-07-2018 at 10:46 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Mr.
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
It seems to me the most basic Sport Renegade with the 2.4 auto will now get a tow rating, while the pricier upgraded models (except Trailhawk) with the 1.3L gets no towing recommended. Am I close on this?

Not so. The 2019 Jeep Renegade Fact Sheet referenced in the original post shows the Trailhawk with a tow rating up to 2000 pounds. It seems that the new 1.3L turbo, mated to an automatic transmission, provides the same tow rating as the 2.4L normally aspirated engine. That would also seem to indicate that all 2019 Renegade models and powertrains will be able to tow up to 2000 pounds. But there's still no manual transmission as of 2019.

As to the current 1.4L turbo not being recommended as a tow vehicle (in North American applications), I would expect that this has more to do with the durability of the clutch combined with the limited low-rpm torque of the 1.4L engine. As a tow vehicle in the hands of an inexperienced user, this would not be a recipe for longevity.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Just heard about this elsewhere. WTF? Only reason I even considered a Renegade was the manual shift.

Oh, well...my next vehicle will probably be electric, anyway...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page