2017 Trailhawk - Oil Consumption - Jeep Renegade Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Jeffrey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2017 Trailhawk - Oil Consumption

Hi All,

Bought my 2017 Renegade used as a Jeep Certified vehicle with 19k on it. Noticed right away that the oil was a quart low even though it had been changed before I bought it (at least they told me it was).

I now have 34k on it and it burns about 3/4 of a quart every 1,000 miles. I took it in for service to have this checked out - knowing that this just is NOT normal (been in a bunch of times now for engine noise, electrical issues and other items - and I am NOT one of THOSE customers, LOL).

My friendly Jeep mechanic called me this afternoon and told me that 3/4 of a quart every 1,000 miles is well within tolerances and there is nothing wrong. Soooo - is adding ~8 quarts of oil between oil changes (10k or so by the manual and idiot light) normal? I do use full synthetic so I would think it would burn less than conventional.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
That's excessive. My 2017 TH burns about 1/2 qt. in between oil changes.

I am experimenting with trying to notice when the engine runs at higher RPMs if that correlates to increased oil burning.

When left in regular auto it shifts later and at higher RPMs.

I mostly shift it myself sooner and at lower RPMs; I get much better MPGs.

2017 Jeep Renegade TH
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5P
2006 Toyota RAV4
1989 Chevy Suburban
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:49 AM

First Name: Jeff
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
i have said this on several sites (oil consumption). i burned 4&1/2 quarts in 3933 miles, then it stopped. i was told that the valve seals had seated themselves. i am going to try high mileage oil next time, supposed to treat valve sleeves/seals. there are other recommendations in various complaints of oil consumption on this site
Have to live with it, i like my ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I sent an email to Jeep and they are assigning me somebody to work with on the oil consumption issue. Not sure what good it will do, but at least they acknowledged my concern.

I took it in for an oil change today. I sooooo hate letting other's change my oil but since I am seeing this issue, I figure I better not give anyone any excuses. I heard them talking about my vehicle having an open ticket for oil consumption - so I guess they got something from somebody at Jeep on that.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Jeep is making me take it too another dealer for a 2nd opinion. Probably a waste of time, but I will do as asked. Seems they are fine with this thing using more oil than a Studebaker.

Problem is - by the time I get there for my appointment next Wed., I will be over the 36k. Wonder if they will ding me for a diagnostic fee.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 AM

First Name: Jim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Koenig View Post
Problem is - by the time I get there for my appointment next Wed., I will be over the 36k. Wonder if they will ding me for a diagnostic fee.
Of course they will.

18 BU, 17 BU, 13 MK
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:22 AM

I was just told by my jeep dealership that mine and all 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawks burn oil. It shut down and gave me a low oil pressure warning. Way Before that happened I was getting the lights out reading again! They told me that was because I had low oil!! Do they really think I'm that stupid?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjjbagels View Post
I was just told by my jeep dealership that mine and all 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawks burn oil. It shut down and gave me a low oil pressure warning. Way Before that happened I was getting the lights out reading again! They told me that was because I had low oil!! Do they really think I'm that stupid?
Yes.

I usually let them snow-job me, then when they're done I calmly say, "I'm not a key turner, I've actually rebuilt more engines and trannys than you EVER have. Save your line of crap for someone that doesn't know what you're are talking about.". Then I enjoy watching them stutter and then hem and haw trying to explain themselves away.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 AM

First Name: Chad
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Koenig View Post
Jeep is making me take it too another dealer for a 2nd opinion. Probably a waste of time, but I will do as asked. Seems they are fine with this thing using more oil than a Studebaker.

This is not a waste of time. I did the same and did not pay the diagnostic fee and end result was to change the short block. They scoped the cylinder and found that my piston ring on one cylinder did not seat and partially broke. The dealer I went to was great! They even covered a rental for almost a week.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:38 AM

First Name: Mrsig
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Our 17 TH dose not burn a drop just changed it at 8000. Our 15 Lat did not burn a drop ether.

Me 07 JKUSR, CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org
White Jeep Club Member # 137
To see my mods or Jeep in action go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife
2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4x4 2.4L, 9 speed Auto.
White Jeep Club Member # BU01

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page