How often should you top off oil? - Page 2 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 9Likes

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
cold is the only way, give the oil plenty of time to drip into the oil pan. the ten minute rule does not allow oil to drain into the pan totally imo
rsanges likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
cold is the only way, give the oil plenty of time to drip into the oil pan. the ten minute rule does not allow oil to drain into the pan totally imo
Oh, he went there! Yes he did. Stand back.
mad trapper likes this.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanges View Post
Oh, he went there! Yes he did. Stand back.
yup i did, said i was not going to talk about oil again---did not listen to what i said lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:51 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
No worries, your engine your rules.

If you want, write a letter to the people that designed the engine, the people that built the engine, the people that market the engine and the people that warranty the engine and tell them that you know better than they do and their procedures are totally wrong.

I think it's stupid as hell the procedures they state, but kinda like I said above; their engine, their rules. I want this silly engine design to last until I get rid of it, so I follow their rules. I haven't lasted well over a half century on this planet by constantly trying to prove my way is the right way.

I get that you're saying this tongue-in-cheek, but you may mislead the new owners...
CRZY4x4 and mad trapper like this.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
So once a month ir so is top off i assume? In my city there are drastic inclines and i incline to the tallest point 2x-maybe 3x a day. Furthermore, i didnt really notice until i checked my dipstick and it was basically near the tip on a war engine aka most likely it was below the safe area. But i was due for a change or at least close. From wht i understand as long as oil reads on the stick, you should be relatively good as even that low the low level oil indicator did not pop on. I thought since that incident, it was burning engine oil like the issues stated on the oil forum that was stickied lol. Imma do a top off this weekend and check in a week due to paranoia.

I assume due to the incline daily it burns more because of the revs. But the reason i let the oil get that low i guess is because i never experienced that with the hyundais and toyotas ive driven before.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxakin View Post
So once a month ir so is top off i assume? In my city there are drastic inclines and i incline to the tallest point 2x-maybe 3x a day. Furthermore, i didnt really notice until i checked my dipstick and it was basically near the tip on a war engine aka most likely it was below the safe area. But i was due for a change or at least close. From wht i understand as long as oil reads on the stick, you should be relatively good as even that low the low level oil indicator did not pop on. I thought since that incident, it was burning engine oil like the issues stated on the oil forum that was stickied lol. Imma do a top off this weekend and check in a week due to paranoia.

I assume due to the incline daily it burns more because of the revs. But the reason i let the oil get that low i guess is because i never experienced that with the hyundais and toyotas ive driven before.

The oil should never be allowed to go below the hash marks on the dipstick. The bottom of the hash marks is one quart low. The bottom of the stick is starving the engine for oil and one could assume, causing damage.
mad trapper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
No worries, your engine your rules.

If you want, write a letter to the people that designed the engine, the people that built the engine, the people that market the engine and the people that warranty the engine and tell them that you know better than they do and their procedures are totally wrong.

I think it's stupid as hell the procedures they state, but kinda like I said above; their engine, their rules. I want this silly engine design to last until I get rid of it, so I follow their rules. I haven't lasted well over a half century on this planet by constantly trying to prove my way is the right way.

I get that you're saying this tongue-in-cheek, but you may mislead the new owners...
maybe their rules are to allow dealer shops to make more money. maybe the DIP STICK should be modified to show proper oil levels. i modified mine, and all is well with the new markings
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:58 PM

First Name: Delphine
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
You DO realize your procedure check is in direct conflict with the owners manual?
Yes, I fully know. I have tried both, and have gotten the same result with both methods. Letting it sit overnight just makes the level a bit more visible since the while dipstick and dipstick tube isn't covered in oil.

Current Garage:
2018 Land Rover Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic P380 SE
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 EcoBoost 4WD
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
maybe their rules are to allow dealer shops to make more money. maybe the DIP STICK should be modified to show proper oil levels. i modified mine, and all is well with the new markings
How does letting the vehicle sit for 5 minutes before checking allow the dealer/shops to make more money ? Ya lost me on that one....

I, too, have thought about modifying my dipstick for a cold/hot reading like auto tranny's used to have. The current approved procedure is beyond asinine.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djenkins View Post
Yes, I fully know. I have tried both, and have gotten the same result with both methods. Letting it sit overnight just makes the level a bit more visible since the while dipstick and dipstick tube isn't covered in oil.
Not with mine. On a cold engine is sits about 3/4 to almost 1 quart low. If I follow the stupid procedure it's right on the money. I need to get a glare from the sun or overhead lighting to see the oil on the stick. The hash marks could have been rolled in a little deeper, they are barely visible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page