How often should you top off oil? - Page 3 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
How often should you top off oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY4x4 View Post
The oil should never be allowed to go below the hash marks on the dipstick. The bottom of the hash marks is one quart low. The bottom of the stick is starving the engine for oil and one could assume, causing damage.


I checked during a warm read after a drive. I was told by a mechanic it is alright if there is oil and if its below as long as it reads its ok. Furthermore it may be below the hash at around oil change timeSo my engines basically screwed then as it was really low one time (basically tip, warm read in winter) and the second time it was slightly below before i topped off. Ive never had a car that really needed a top off and im surprised this vehicle needs this much. Curious am i burning oil?

Last edited by roxakin; 08-08-2019 at 03:07 AM.
roxakin is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Fyi the low oil level indicator did not appear unless i turned which is where i checked so i assume i should be okay?
roxakin is online now  
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
And the engine oil change did not appear either
roxakin is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Mud Pie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxakin View Post
And the engine oil change did not appear either
I'm trying to understand....do you believe the oil change indicator will light if you're low on oil ? Mine lights every 10,000 miles regardless of oil level.

From what I've read, if the engine gets too low on oil, it stops working until you top off the oil, basically "saving" itself. I've never heard of one of these engines seizing from low oil, which is surprising to me. Even more surprising is that the ones that stopped needed 3-4 quarts of oil to bring it up to snuff. That's a LOT of oil !!

You'd think with all the electronic doo-dads on this vehicle they'd have an oil level display on the dash so you can SEE when it needs oil, not constantly pulling the dip stick on an OCD basis.

I check my oil so often that the conversations with my neighbor, seeing me under the hood, changed from "Uh-oh, problems with your Jeep ?" to "Checking your oil AGAIN ?".
CRZY4x4 likes this.
Mud Pie is offline  
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
Not with mine. On a cold engine is sits about 3/4 to almost 1 quart low. If I follow the stupid procedure it's right on the money. I need to get a glare from the sun or overhead lighting to see the oil on the stick. The hash marks could have been rolled in a little deeper, they are barely visible.
SO where does the oil go when cold? does it shrink? if anything the valve solenoids should slowly drain and oil readings should be accurate when cold. the only missing oil should be in the little oil filter rest should sit in the oil pan where it belongs
i have to stay out of the oil complaint site. raced cars way to long to understand the logic behind hot and cold testing of these little engines
have you noticed jeep reps. do not step in to discuss this .i guess they like the banter

Last edited by jeff1; 08-08-2019 at 09:55 AM.
jeff1 is offline  
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
I'm trying to understand....do you believe the oil change indicator will light if you're low on oil ? Mine lights every 10,000 miles regardless of oil level.



From what I've read, if the engine gets too low on oil, it stops working until you top off the oil, basically "saving" itself. I've never heard of one of these engines seizing from low oil, which is surprising to me. Even more surprising is that the ones that stopped needed 3-4 quarts of oil to bring it up to snuff. That's a LOT of oil !!



You'd think with all the electronic doo-dads on this vehicle they'd have an oil level display on the dash so you can SEE when it needs oil, not constantly pulling the dip stick on an OCD basis.



I check my oil so often that the conversations with my neighbor, seeing me under the hood, changed from "Uh-oh, problems with your Jeep ?" to "Checking your oil AGAIN ?".


Not necessarily however i am unsure if either indicator would pop up. When i saw it so low i was like imma go do an oil change immediately the next day lol. Im just worried i damaged the engine or if im burning oil like crazy. Im getting conflicting opinions and now since the paranoia imma keep checking it as the cars ive oreviously owned never went that low. But on the warm read that one time it was an inch above the top. Curious if i just damaged the hell out of my engine.
roxakin is online now  
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reno/Lake Tahoe, Nevada USA
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxakin View Post
I checked during a warm read after a drive. I was told by a mechanic it is alright if there is oil and if its below as long as it reads its ok. Furthermore it may be below the hash at around oil change timeSo my engines basically screwed then as it was really low one time (basically tip, warm read in winter) and the second time it was slightly below before i topped off. Ive never had a car that really needed a top off and im surprised this vehicle needs this much. Curious am i burning oil?



Here is a write-up I wrote for another forum:

Checking your oil is a responsibility of owning a car. CHECK YOUR OIL!


Early on in the vehicle's life an owner's oil gets low, but isn't checked or added to, and allowed to keep getting dangerously low. Sometimes to the point of the engine shutting down.

My theory is that after the oil is a quart low, it gets hotter and hotter with every pint below a quart low, causing the oil to start burning off quickly, while also causing engine damage.

With that being said, I've been unofficially been paying attention to the oil usage complaint of others for some time. I've found that in almost every case, people state that the oil is almost "empty" when they check it. Engine damage has already occurred by then, and of course it will be an oil burner moving forward. At this point many owners have their engine replaced.

I found mine to finally get to a quart low at 3000 miles, and added a quart immediately. Now at 6800 miles, it has not burned a drop since. In the very few cases that others have done the same seem to have the same results as myself.

Now I'm not "blaming the victim", but this is what I have seen here and on other Jeep forums that I have belonged to for years, and certainly before the first Renegade was sold in 2014 for 2015 M.Y.

That begs the question that if many of us have just payed close attention to the oil level since day one, would many of these oil loss problems just not exist today? Would many engines not have to be replaced either? I personally think not.

I have owned about 68 new and used vehicles, including 11 Jeeps. I have driven these vehicles a total of an estimated 5 million miles, and have checked my oil regularly and NEVER have had an oil related failure.

I worked for Chrysler, and a couple other manufacturers in parts and service, for years, and weather people agree or not is up to you, but this is my professional opinion until I see otherwise.

So, CHECK YOUR OIL REGULARLY from day one!

Oh, and I no longer have any ties to Chrysler whatsoever.


Now, keep in mind that there are many customers experiencing oil loss from just about every manufacturer. The oil that manufacturers are being forced to use is very very thin "0-weight", the thinnest oil you can get. Just Google "(Any Car Manufacturer) Oil Loss" and you'll find thousands and thousands of issues.


So, to answer your question, YOU need to check the oil. The Jeep has no nannie to tell you to check it until it's too late. Your mechanic is wrong, wrong as wrong can be. If the oil makes it's way to the add mark, you must add oil then. It is NOT OK just because it's on the stick. That's why there are hash marks. In addition, if you already let your oil get dangerously low, yes, you probably did do some damage that will shorten the overall life of the engine.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
CRZY4x4 is online now  
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Nev
Senior Member
 
Nev's Avatar
 
First Name: Nev
Join Date: May 2017
Location: France
Posts: 1,354
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
If you're continually driving around with the oil PRESSURE light coming on intermittently you've probably screwed your engine over time through oil starvation.


Check oil every 2nd or 3rd tank of fuel.
CRZY4x4 likes this.



2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
Nev is online now  
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY4x4 View Post
Here is a write-up I wrote for another forum:

Checking your oil is a responsibility of owning a car. CHECK YOUR OIL!


Early on in the vehicle's life an owner's oil gets low, but isn't checked or added to, and allowed to keep getting dangerously low. Sometimes to the point of the engine shutting down.

My theory is that after the oil is a quart low, it gets hotter and hotter with every pint below a quart low, causing the oil to start burning off quickly, while also causing engine damage.

With that being said, I've been unofficially been paying attention to the oil usage complaint of others for some time. I've found that in almost every case, people state that the oil is almost "empty" when they check it. Engine damage has already occurred by then, and of course it will be an oil burner moving forward. At this point many owners have their engine replaced.

I found mine to finally get to a quart low at 3000 miles, and added a quart immediately. Now at 6800 miles, it has not burned a drop since. In the very few cases that others have done the same seem to have the same results as myself.

Now I'm not "blaming the victim", but this is what I have seen here and on other Jeep forums that I have belonged to for years, and certainly before the first Renegade was sold in 2014 for 2015 M.Y.

That begs the question that if many of us have just payed close attention to the oil level since day one, would many of these oil loss problems just not exist today? Would many engines not have to be replaced either? I personally think not.

I have owned about 68 new and used vehicles, including 11 Jeeps. I have driven these vehicles a total of an estimated 5 million miles, and have checked my oil regularly and NEVER have had an oil related failure.

I worked for Chrysler, and a couple other manufacturers in parts and service, for years, and weather people agree or not is up to you, but this is my professional opinion until I see otherwise.

So, CHECK YOUR OIL REGULARLY from day one!

Oh, and I no longer have any ties to Chrysler whatsoever.


Now, keep in mind that there are many customers experiencing oil loss from just about every manufacturer. The oil that manufacturers are being forced to use is very very thin "0-weight", the thinnest oil you can get. Just Google "(Any Car Manufacturer) Oil Loss" and you'll find thousands and thousands of issues.


So, to answer your question, YOU need to check the oil. The Jeep has no nannie to tell you to check it until it's too late. Your mechanic is wrong, wrong as wrong can be. If the oil makes it's way to the add mark, you must add oil then. It is NOT OK just because it's on the stick. That's why there are hash marks. In addition, if you already let your oil get dangerously low, yes, you probably did do some damage that will shorten the overall life of the engine.


Alright appreciate the honesty at least. From that point moving forward ive been monitoring it closesly. Just never seemed to hve the issue with other cars. Thanks for the reply
roxakin is online now  
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reno/Lake Tahoe, Nevada USA
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxakin View Post
Alright appreciate the honesty at least. From that point moving forward ive been monitoring it closesly. Just never seemed to hve the issue with other cars. Thanks for the reply



Like I said, it's getting very common with newer cars because of the use of very thin oil. Just keep your eye on the level, check it after 5-10 minutes when warm, and add when necessary. Do your oil changes when the oil change indicator tells you to, and you should be fine. I truly believe it will burn less oil, the closer the level is to full.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
CRZY4x4 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off