How often should you top off oil? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
How often should you top off oil?

Hey guys,
Just curious. My oil on my dipstick is a little below half in the safe area. Got an oil change about 3 weeks ago and have driven 600 miles...is my car just burning through oil or is it normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Make sure you are following the owner's manual guidelines. The appropriate method for the 2.4 is to turn it off and check after like 5 or 10 minutes. Not on a cold engine.

In general markings of high and low usually represent a quart. I'll usually top up at half a quart down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz-0 View Post
Make sure you are following the owner's manual guidelines. The appropriate method for the 2.4 is to turn it off and check after like 5 or 10 minutes. Not on a cold engine.

In general markings of high and low usually represent a quart. I'll usually top up at half a quart down.

Thanks raz-0 l, how often do you do so? I have mine changed 6 months or after 5k miles. Also, when an oil change is performed does it usually have to be at the top of the marking for high? Unsure if im burning crazy amounts of oil. And monitor it this month before i bring it in to a dealer and get charged some diagnositc charge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:14 PM

First Name: Mrsig
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
That is way to early with full Synthetic! On my JK 3.8 I change my oil from 6,500 to 9,000. That is the range when my dip stick hits add a quart. Months with lots of off roading it is closer to the 6500 & of course little off roading around 9000 mile mark.

On our BU did the first one at 1,000 2nd at 9,000 3rd will be at about 17,000. I check the dip stick at lease once a month if it get low I take it as it comes.

Our first BU did not burn a drop of oil just like our newer one.

Me 07 JKUSR, CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org
White Jeep Club Member # 137
To see my mods or Jeep in action go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife
2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4x4 2.4L, 9 speed Auto.
White Jeep Club Member # BU01

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:09 PM

First Name: Delphine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsig View Post
That is way to early with full Synthetic! On my JK 3.8 I change my oil from 6,500 to 9,000. That is the range when my dip stick hits add a quart. Months with lots of off roading it is closer to the 6500 & of course little off roading around 9000 mile mark.

On our BU did the first one at 1,000 2nd at 9,000 3rd will be at about 17,000. I check the dip stick at lease once a month if it get low I take it as it comes.

Our first BU did not burn a drop of oil just like our newer one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxakin View Post
Thanks raz-0 l, how often do you do so? I have mine changed 6 months or after 5k miles. Also, when an oil change is performed does it usually have to be at the top of the marking for high? Unsure if im burning crazy amounts of oil. And monitor it this month before i bring it in to a dealer and get charged some diagnositc charge
I get mine changed about every 5k miles, and it's just starting to get dark/dirty around then. I think about once a month or so would be a good time to check it. If you're really worried about it burning oil, you can check it in the morning after it's been sitting overnight so it's easy to tell the level. Then check again in the morning after about a week or so of driving your normal commute or route(s). But when the engine is warm it's hard to get a super accurate reading. I like to check it when it's cold in the morning when it's parked in the garage (which is rare) or on the street since it's flat.

Current Garage:
2018 Land Rover Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic P380 SE
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 EcoBoost 4WD
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4x4

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
well i went thru he oil bs which i said i would not get involved with any more BUT after five oil changes, a full proper reading is 1/4 inch above the hash mark and i marked my dip stick there. i put in one qt. when the oil is measured 1/4 inch below the top hash mark. works for me. figure it out when you get oil changes. have not lost any oil since my oil consumption test
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah mine usually goes to the tip of the dipstick by the time i need an oil change, is it alright for it to go that low in that set amount of time? Never really had to top off a car prior and it seems like it just burns oil but never really check checked. Went to my mechanic and they say its usually normal. But add a qt if its below safe area. Ill top it this weekend and check the following week if u guys stick around. Checked that oil post and got worried cause mines a 2.4 L
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Quote:
I check mine about once a month. Given my driving routine, the renny tells me I need new oil sometime between 5500 and 6500 miles. Which works out to two oil changes a year. I check the dip stick once per month unless I have reason to be suspicious. For example we got a nice cold snap here a couple years ago. There were about two weeks where IIR we didn't get over 20F and hit -9F overnight once. It sounded funny so I checked it outside the normal schedule. It was ~1/2 quart low, but it was also only a month from it's oil change. Which isn't worrisome, but I don't think it liked being that low AND having the oil be thickened by the cold in the morning, so I chucked in 1/2 a quart and everything was happier.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah mine usually goes to the tip of the dipstick by the time i need an oil change, is it alright for it to go that low in that set amount of time? Never really had to top off a car prior and it seems like it just burns oil but never really check checked. Went to my mechanic and they say its usually normal. But add a qt if its below safe area. Ill top it this weekend and check the following week if u guys stick around. Checked that oil post and got worried cause mines a 2.4 L

You should never let the oil go below the hash marks, as that is 1 quart low. Anything lower on the dipstick is asking for engine damage. Adding a quart or two between oil changes, in my opinion is no big deal. I have had about 68 cars in my life, both new and used, and adding oil from time to time is just being a responsible owner. I have driven several million miles, and I have never had an oil related failure, never.
mad trapper likes this.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djenkins View Post
I get mine changed about every 5k miles, and it's just starting to get dark/dirty around then. I think about once a month or so would be a good time to check it. If you're really worried about it burning oil, you can check it in the morning after it's been sitting overnight so it's easy to tell the level. Then check again in the morning after about a week or so of driving your normal commute or route(s). But when the engine is warm it's hard to get a super accurate reading. I like to check it when it's cold in the morning when it's parked in the garage (which is rare) or on the street since it's flat.
You DO realize your procedure check is in direct conflict with the owners manual ?
mad trapper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page