Oil Consumption - Page 11 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 16Likes

post #101 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have an '18 Trailhawk with the 2.4. Just hit 10k so I was set for my second oil change. Going around a turn one night last week, I got the Low Oil Pressure notification that quickly went away once I straightened out. Upon checking the oil, the stick was barely reading anything. I was 3 quarts low.

I just got back from dropping it off at the dealer for an oil change and I mentioned the low oil and he told me "off the record" (of course) that the 2.4L Tigershark engine used in the Renegade and the Compass is made of a soft aluminum that is very porous. There isn't an oil leak and the engine isn't burning oil, rather the engine is 'absorbing' the oil. The oil consumption will trail off around 15k miles.

I'm not a mechanic, but I've also never reached for a soft aluminum sponge to clean up any spills around the house. So this is either insight, or comedic relief. I'll be keeping an eye on my levels from now on.

Last edited by chriswheatley97; 04-25-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswheatley97 View Post
I have an '18 Trailhawk with the 2.4. Just hit 10k so I was set for my second oil change. Going around a turn one night last week, I got the Low Oil Pressure notification that quickly went away once I straightened out. Upon checking the oil, the stick was barely reading anything. I was 3 quarts low.

I just got back from dropping it off at the dealer for an oil change and I mentioned the low oil and he told me "off the record" (of course) that the 2.4L Tigershark engine used in the Renegade and the Compass is made of a soft aluminum that is very porous. There isn't an oil leak and the engine isn't burning oil, rather the engine is 'absorbing' the oil. The oil consumption will trail off around 15k miles.

I'm not a mechanic, but I've also never reached for a soft aluminum sponge to clean up any spills around the house. So this is either insight, or comedic relief. I'll be keeping an eye on my levels from now on.
The issue with oil consumption has been spoken of, and documented since 2014 when the first Renegades were delivered to customers. It is a fact that these engines drink an amount of oil. The oil is very thin in newer cars, and some engines tend to use oil because of that. My theory is that once one of these engines gets a quart or more low, the oil gets hotter and thinner, making the issue even more prominent. That is to say that that the lower the oil, the faster it goes away. I'm hesitant on saying that it's being burned because there would be an equal amount of catalytic converter complaints/replacements, and that's not happening. That being said, I don't know where the oil is going, since there are very few complaints of oil leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
post #103 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswheatley97 View Post

I have a bridge to sell you.

Yes, metal/aluminum will absorb a SMALL amount of oil due to it's purosity. To absorb quarts of oil is insane, the engine block would be double it's size with 3 quarts.

2018 Latitude Altitude
1984 CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84cj View Post
I have a bridge to sell you.
If it's made of soft, porous aluminum.. I'm going to have to pass! hahah
post #105 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I only have about 4K miles on my 17 Altitude but it has not consumed any oil so far.
post #106 of 120 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
I hate to be one of those "I don't have that problem." people, but I feel it worth mentioning (for the benefit of my resale value if for no other reason) that this is not a problem with all of these engines. My 2015 TH has 23K miles and has never needed oil added between changes. Because I read this forum daily, I check my oil (and radiator fan) often and have never seen the level move.

For what it's worth, I almost always check my oil level when the engine is stone cold. The only time I check it warm (per the instructions) is right after I change it. And honestly - I've seen virtually no difference of the level on my dipstick whichever method I use. When I change the oil, I get it close to full then warm it up and top it off to the top of the hash marks. I just checked it this morning after sitting for a couple of days (as I started this reply), and the level is right at the top of the hash marks. It's been months and a couple thousand miles since my last oil change.

BTW, I still carry a quart of oil in back (along side my matching spare tire).
post #107 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I checked out the link and I'm glad that costco sells top tier gas. Thanks.
post #108 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:19 PM

First Name: Jeff
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
i raced fords for 30 years, did all my own work, and i have never heard so much BS on this oil problem, flimsy piston rings, oil absorbing engine blocks, bad valve guides. damn jeeps have to be "burning" oil, BUT i hear of no "cat" problems or exhaust smoke. i think 0-20 oil is way to thin for these engines and burns off to cleanly. has anyone tried a 10-30 blend, dumb question because that would have been mentioned on this site by now if it made a difference
84cj likes this.
post #109 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
i raced fords for 30 years, did all my own work, and i have never heard so much BS on this oil problem, flimsy piston rings, oil absorbing engine blocks, bad valve guides. damn jeeps have to be "burning" oil, BUT i hear of no "cat" problems or exhaust smoke. i think 0-20 oil is way to thin for these engines and burns off to cleanly. has anyone tried a 10-30 blend, dumb question because that would have been mentioned on this site by now if it made a difference
As far as I know, I don't think anyone has done so, but I do agree that maybe the 0w-20 oil may be too thin. I have also heard that this engine is designed for the thin oil and that thicker oil may cause problems. I am not convinced. I'll check the manual to see if it specs for thicker oil in warmer climates.
post #110 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My oil on my 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude burns extremely fast using the Mobile 1 0W-20 Fully Synthetic. At one point I even was using the Mobile 1 OW-20 Fully Synthetic Extended Performance just to see if it would make any difference but did not. I have to ensure I change this vehicles oil every 3k otherwise when I check the dipstick, it will be a half/quart less within the 3k range. Would anyone recommend a different brand oil than Mobil 1 that may last better with the Renegade? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page