1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xopher

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Renegade Sport vs Trailhawk

Hey guys,

Former 96 wrangler owner, current scion tC driver who misses the Jeep life. The renegade has peaked my interest, but I'm not sure which "trim" to go after. My wrangler was a manual and the tC is an auto, I have been craving the manual transmission ever since selling the wrangler. Because of that, I've been leaning toward just the 1.4L 4x4 sport. But, the biggest draw of the renegade is the off-road capabilities, and that is something I didn't take advantage of enough in the wrangler. I only plan on going on smaller off-roading adventures (at least that's what I'm telling myself) like beach driving and simpler dirt off roading. Will the manual sport be enough? Or should I drop the manual dream and bulk up to the Trailhawk? This car will be my main commuter too, 30 minute drives each way usually.

Can I get some pro/cons or just general opinions about which way I should go? I plan on driving both this weekend at a dealer but the doesnt tell me much about the other half of the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Just purchased a used Trailhawk about a month ago. I have been surprised with the vehicle so far in regards to ride, MPG and 4x4 ability in the snow.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:21 PM

The auto transmission sucks, I have a '16 TH and love the off road features but wish I had a 6 speed manual.

I'd go for a 1.4 with manual and put in aftermarket goodies to make it better off road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I have no issues with the automatic transmission. Some people have had clutch issues, and some have had automatic transmission issues. Coming from a Grand Cherokee that got 17mpg (13 in 4WD), bumping up to 24-27mpg was a welcome change.

I wouldn't expect the a Renegade to perform like a Wrangler, but I'd have no issues with light off-roading.

Something that is different between the Sport and Trailhawk models is the final drive, giving the Trailhawk a better crawl ratio. I noticed that when I had my Sport (4WD Auto), I got about 1-2mpg more than my current Trailhawk. With the final drive difference, my calculations are that 6th gear in the non-TH (automatic) is about the same gear ratio as 7th gear on the Trailhawk, which would explain why the Sport gets better gas mileage, as well as why the TH starts in 2nd gear instead of first (which it uses for 4x4 Low). From everyone I hear with the manual transmission, has mileage is even better.

As happy as I was with the Sport, I'm even happier with the Trailhawk.
dgr401 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 PM

First Name: Frank
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have found the Automatic to be just fine and shifts great.

2017 Altitude
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmartin95 View Post
Hey guys,

Former 96 wrangler owner, current scion tC driver who misses the Jeep life. The renegade has peaked my interest, but I'm not sure which "trim" to go after. My wrangler was a manual and the tC is an auto, I have been craving the manual transmission ever since selling the wrangler. Because of that, I've been leaning toward just the 1.4L 4x4 sport. But, the biggest draw of the renegade is the off-road capabilities, and that is something I didn't take advantage of enough in the wrangler. I only plan on going on smaller off-roading adventures (at least that's what I'm telling myself) like beach driving and simpler dirt off roading. Will the manual sport be enough? Or should I drop the manual dream and bulk up to the Trailhawk? This car will be my main commuter too, 30 minute drives each way usually.

Can I get some pro/cons or just general opinions about which way I should go? I plan on driving both this weekend at a dealer but the doesnt tell me much about the other half of the vehicle.
After some deep investigation before my purchase I can help you with that.

Trailhawk EXCLUSIVE features
-Has Factory skid plates under the vehicle
-4 low/rock mode
-Factory tow hooks on front and rear
-Front bumper allows for far better approach angles vs other models
-And other features that are simply more commonly seen on Trailhawk such as heated seats or the larger navi screen.

If you really pay attention, you aren't getting a whole lot for the Trailhawk that makes it end all be all. EXCEPT for the 4low that's only on this trim, can you find a way to install it? I'm not sure...But I haven't bothered looking as I have a Trailhawk. You can get skid plates through AVID.com or ATP. Tow hooks aren't a big deal considering AVID for example have steel replacements that can solve that issue for you, along with the superior approach angles. So unless you gotta have that awesome navi, or something It's not necessary to buy. I would recommend it, but everyone is different and has difference circumstances. Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:01 AM

First Name: Mrsig
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Both of our autos we have had 0 problems with.

The TH with the rear locker & 20 to 1, 4 low and stock skids, better suspension I think make it the best deal.
That is why we traded in our Latitude for a TH.

Me 07 JKUSR, CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org
White Jeep Club Member # 137
To see my mods or Jeep in action go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife
2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4x4 2.4L, 9 speed Auto.
White Jeep Club Member # BU01

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page