Thinking of buying this used Renegade TH - have concerns - Page 2 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would not buy a used Jeep, nor will I buy another Jeep as the reliability for me has not been there. We purchased a new 2018 Jeep Renegade in March 2018 and have had major issues:
1. The Jeep caught on fire at 13,000 miles last November while parked - long back and forth with the dealership, FCA Corporate, etc. and they determined it did so because of a missing engine shield that allowed leaves to ignite and a fire to travel to the underhood area. And no, it was not parked on leaves.... and no one could tell us why the engine shield was missing. Almost $9000 in repairs and 3 months in the shop; thank goodness for car insurance as FCA refused to cover the damages.
2. Problems with the Service Hill Start Assist warning and ESC indicator light issues at 13,200 miles and less than 2 weeks after we finally picked it up from the dealership for the fire repair - warranty repair that includes 3 trips back and forth to the dealer, replacement of the brake switch and the ABS system module, and on the 3rd try, a software update.
3. Numerous rattles on the left front drivers side that no one can seem to pinpoint since last October - not the springs, not the sway bars, etc. We are learning just to ignore it at this point!

So, I have a 2018 Jeep with about 19,000 miles that I purchased 1-1/2 years ago brand new that I am waiting for something else to go wrong. AND, I'll never be able to get a decent price when I go to resale it because it's been on fire. Never again for a FCA product for me -- I should have bought a Subaru or a Honda (which I also considered).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]# View Post
I would not buy a used Jeep, nor will I buy another Jeep as the reliability for me has not been there. We purchased a new 2018 Jeep Renegade in March 2018 and have had major issues:
1. The Jeep caught on fire at 13,000 miles last November while parked - long back and forth with the dealership, FCA Corporate, etc. and they determined it did so because of a missing engine shield that allowed leaves to ignite and a fire to travel to the underhood area. And no, it was not parked on leaves.... and no one could tell us why the engine shield was missing. Almost $9000 in repairs and 3 months in the shop; thank goodness for car insurance as FCA refused to cover the damages.
2. Problems with the Service Hill Start Assist warning and ESC indicator light issues at 13,200 miles and less than 2 weeks after we finally picked it up from the dealership for the fire repair - warranty repair that includes 3 trips back and forth to the dealer, replacement of the brake switch and the ABS system module, and on the 3rd try, a software update.
3. Numerous rattles on the left front drivers side that no one can seem to pinpoint since last October - not the springs, not the sway bars, etc. We are learning just to ignore it at this point!

So, I have a 2018 Jeep with about 19,000 miles that I purchased 1-1/2 years ago brand new that I am waiting for something else to go wrong. AND, I'll never be able to get a decent price when I go to resale it because it's been on fire. Never again for a FCA product for me -- I should have bought a Subaru or a Honda (which I also considered).
Eesh! I'd love to know how common issues like this with the Renegade and FCA vehicles in general. From the sounds as if (as I'm learning more) FCA vehicles aren't to be considered nearly as reliable as they should be for a modern vehicle - especially as a daily driver. Ug, I really friggin like the Renegade. Thanks for sharing!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 PM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstar View Post
I test drove the TH I'm considering today. It looks like it is in great shape, no marks on the paint, tires still good shape, nothing missing, no dings. Seems to drive and shift fine, all of the off road modes worked fine.

BUT, I found that the passenger side speaker is crackling (or even cuts out for a second) and the rear wiper fluid ejector doesn't spew out fluid.

The dealer wants $19,995 for it. 2017 TH with 27k miles, still have a wee bit left on the basic factory warranty. Jeep dealer in my area said they should be able to fix those issues under warranty after diagnostics and the service manager felt that price was a bit high for this vehicle. What do you guys think?

I'm asking the dealer to drop it to $18.5k. If not, I'll just get a new TH for just under 24,885k out the door. I don't feel comfortable spending $20k on a used one that has those minors issues. Plus, I think I like the new interior and turbo engine better. I"ll know for sure tomorrow evening when I take one for a spin.
For a few thousand more, I'd spring for a brand new one. Speaker/stereo problems can sometimes be hard to find. Sometimes the rear squirter takes five seconds to spray if it hasn't been used in a while.
CRZY4x4 likes this.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List