Thinking of buying this used Renegade TH - have concerns - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thinking of buying this used Renegade TH - have concerns

That is the renegade I’m thinking of buying. I’ve done my research. I know of the oil consumption problems and the 4x4 system failures and warnings. I know it’s basically a fiat 500x. And I know Chrysler is known for reliability these days. Certainly much less is compared to Toyota and Honda.

BUT - I’m wondering how I can inspect this renegade when I test drive it for these issues? I’ve read enough reports now to wonder if most Renegade owners are giving up their vehicles? It’s hard to tell how reliable these cars actually are, and I’d like to hear more from you all.

What do you guys think of purchasing a used Renegade? It will be my only vehicle and I’ll be taking it up mountain trials in western Montana and else where a few times a month. I don’t have a daily commute. And there will be some days I won’t drive at all since I work from home a lot.

It’s this renegade or a new Subaru Crosstrek or Outback.

What do you guys think? I’m partial to the Renegade, but I’m not sold yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

I had to remove the link. Forum wouldn’t let me post otherwise.

Milden burger motors in Hamilton, MT is the dealer.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 AM

First Name: Mrsig
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
and enjoy the forum!
We have had 0 problems with ours!

Me 07 JKUSR, CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org
White Jeep Club Member # 137
To see my mods or Jeep in action go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife
2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4x4 2.4L, 9 speed Auto.
White Jeep Club Member # BU01

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't recommend a used FCA product unless you had an acceptable alternative mode of transportation. That could be another vehicle, your feet, or resources (and a means) to procure transportation.

Fully expect it to leave you stranded someday when you don't want it to.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

That’s not encouraging. Are you jesting? You could say that about many used vehicles. Now you’re making a goood case for the new Subaru crosstrek.

My biggest concern is the engine oil burning. Sounds like the fix is to have the manufacturer replace the engine. That seems to happen way below 30k miles for most folks that have reported it.

There’s no way for me to know if this is s problem with this renegade short of seeing maintenance records or driving around for 7k miles myself.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstar View Post
That’s not encouraging. Are you jesting? You could say that about many used vehicles. Now you’re making a goood case for the new Subaru crosstrek.

My biggest concern is the engine oil burning. Sounds like the fix is to have the manufacturer replace the engine. That seems to happen way below 30k miles for most folks that have reported it.

There’s no way for me to know if this is s problem with this renegade short of seeing maintenance records or driving around for 7k miles myself.
I'll be totally honest. I bought my 2017 Latitude in August 2018 used from a Jeep dealership. It was "certified pre-owned" which is supposed to mean something. It was an Avis rental vehicle. I know all the horror stories about buying rental cars because people thrash the snot out of them. But also rental companies maintain their vehicles and all maintenance was done at a Jeep dealership. I bought it with concern but no fears (and a 6 year 120,000 mile bumper to bumper zero deductible warranty from my credit union) because my normal daily driver died and I needed a new ride NOW.

A few days later I excitedly found this site. I read with abject fear about all the issues. My initial love for this Renegade plummeted rapidly. RAPIDLY. Those damn Easter eggs grated on my nerves. Every time I fill up I give that damn Italian spider the finger. I check my oil more often than I mow my yard. My engine doesn't "drink" oil, but I gotta top it off a tad every now and then. Never dropped to the OMG level when I check, but all my previous vehicles used NO oil between changes. This web site has been both a cursing and a blessing.

Is my Jeep one of the "problem child" ? No. It's running great with zero issues. But I wait. It has brought me closer to God, because each morning I say a little prayer before hitting the start button and say a little thank-you every evening when I get home issue free.

So to those thinking about buying a private party sale used Renegade with no warranty I say, "Run hard. Run fast.". You don't know the history of the vehicle and have no recourse when you drive away unless you invest in a hella good aftermarket warranty.
CRZY4x4 and bkl182 like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
I'll be totally honest. I bought my 2017 Latitude in August 2018 used from a Jeep dealership. It was "certified pre-owned" which is supposed to mean something. It was an Avis rental vehicle. I know all the horror stories about buying rental cars because people thrash the snot out of them. But also rental companies maintain their vehicles and all maintenance was done at a Jeep dealership. I bought it with concern but no fears (and a 6 year 120,000 mile bumper to bumper zero deductible warranty from my credit union) because my normal daily driver died and I needed a new ride NOW.

A few days later I excitedly found this site. I read with abject fear about all the issues. My initial love for this Renegade plummeted rapidly. RAPIDLY. Those damn Easter eggs grated on my nerves. Every time I fill up I give that damn Italian spider the finger. I check my oil more often than I mow my yard. My engine doesn't "drink" oil, but I gotta top it off a tad every now and then. Never dropped to the OMG level when I check, but all my previous vehicles used NO oil between changes. This web site has been both a cursing and a blessing.

Is my Jeep one of the "problem child" ? No. It's running great with zero issues. But I wait. It has brought me closer to God, because each morning I say a little prayer before hitting the start button and say a little thank-you every evening when I get home issue free.

So to those thinking about buying a private party sale used Renegade with no warranty I say, "Run hard. Run fast.". You don't know the history of the vehicle and have no recourse when you drive away unless you invest in a hella good aftermarket warranty.
Yeah, I have the same mind set. The reality is FCAs aren't as reliable as a modern car should be. Jeep isn't jeep any longer. It's a brand name and that is it. I'm still interested in buying the Renegade, but I don't have want daily driver to die on me despite my taking care of it.

It'll get mostly highway miles, but it will also see trails and perhaps the occasional lite towing.

Subaru's have similar rando problems, but I'm heard less Horror stories about them.

You shouldn't have to cross your fingers when you get into and out of your vehicle. You should be able to trust that will regular maintenance the car will start without issue. And that when something does come up, there is a reliable means for you to have the issue acknowledged and fixed.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:33 PM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstar View Post
. . . What do you guys think? I’m partial to the Renegade, but I’m not sold yet.
My 2015 has been trouble free since I bought it new in April 2015. however, I don't think I would buy a used 2015 model since there were indeed a few problems in that first year (for the USA; 2014's were sold in Europe).

Models 2016 and newer should be okay. Check every knob, switch, function, etc. to ensure everything works as it should.
Jstar likes this.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post

could not have said it better
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbike View Post
My 2015 has been trouble free since I bought it new in April 2015. however, I don't think I would buy a used 2015 model since there were indeed a few problems in that first year (for the USA; 2014's were sold in Europe).

Models 2016 and newer should be okay. Check every knob, switch, function, etc. to ensure everything works as it should.
I test drove the TH I'm considering today. It looks like it is in great shape, no marks on the paint, tires still good shape, nothing missing, no dings. Seems to drive and shift fine, all of the off road modes worked fine.

BUT, I found that the passenger side speaker is crackling (or even cuts out for a second) and the rear wiper fluid ejector doesn't spew out fluid.

The dealer wants $19,995 for it. 2017 TH with 27k miles, still have a wee bit left on the basic factory warranty. Jeep dealer in my area said they should be able to fix those issues under warranty after diagnostics and the service manager felt that price was a bit high for this vehicle. What do you guys think?

I'm asking the dealer to drop it to $18.5k. If not, I'll just get a new TH for just under 24,885k out the door. I don't feel comfortable spending $20k on a used one that has those minors issues. Plus, I think I like the new interior and turbo engine better. I"ll know for sure tomorrow evening when I take one for a spin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page