Looking for off road tires for my 2016 Trail Hawk - Page 2 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
From what I've read, there is some concern about how well the Geolander's sidewalls stand up to cuts from rocks. Does anybody have any opinions on that.

There's a new tire on the Market from Pirelli - the Scorpion All Terrain Plus that looks like it has a more aggressive tread pattern than the Yoko. I haven't seen any reviews of it. It is even lighter than the Yoko (by about a pound), so I'm curious about its durability and resistance to punctures and cuts. Has anybody had any experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I have the 225/65R17 Yokohama Geolander GO15, on a 2017 trailhawk.
To answer the question about rubbing when parking, I haven't heard nor felt these rub yet at full lock even with suspention compressed hard, you should be fine.

As for the sidewall cuts, these are definatly a step up from the stock Falkens. I use to manage a tire shop, and I have handled a ton of different tires and I really don't think I have ever felt a thinner sidewall than the stock Falkens. The GO15 is better, but nowhere near as good as a KO2.

If i have to recommend a tire, I would def say the BFG KO2. I'm not impressed with the GO15. I have only had them for about a bit over a month, approx. 3000km on them. They are very smooth and quiet, and work well in the rain. but they don't really have an AT tread in the 225/65, they look more agressive in wider/larger sizes. To me, these look like a glorified all season.
I'm already planning on just getting a set of KO2 and trying to sell these. I don't really care how long I sit on them, I just want a more agressive tire like the KO2.

With the KO2, everyone says it's poor traction when wet, I have never experianced this at all on any truck I have ever driven with them. I don't see this as an issue.

that Scorpion AT Plus looks nice, if it's decently priced, I may go that way too insted of the KO2.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 PM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
KO2s are 2nd to none in the sidewall department. Ive run 2 sets now. I also have been selling tires and servicing vehicles for 11 years now.

Search this forum for my overall input on most tires I recommend for the full gist of my knowledge.

Yokohama are the quietest all terrains Ive ever run, including my current Cooper AT3s. Best wet weather traction as well - heard similar experiences with Toyo AT2s and the like. I cant get a hold of them sadly, so I cant personally quote.

Sidewall durability is decent on the Yokohamas (I has the GO12) and took them on a few trips. More puncture resistance with the Triguard sidewall of the BFGs, but being a heavier load range, they are always stiffer/louder. I have had my Coopers about 4k now, and they are better offroad than my Yokohams, but sidewalls worry me some, I do not air down like I did with my KO2s.

Its all about necessity - what do you need the most? For me, its offroad prowess - so BFG is my #1 Im actually about to put a set of KM3s on in October.

If I could get them, Id do Toyos, as Nitto doesn't make anything in our typical sizes.

94 YJ
95 ZJ
98 XJ (2wd)
05 WK (2wd)
15 Renegade Trailhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 04:45 PM

First Name: B
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmux View Post
If you stick with the stock 17" rims, the most popular options are:

* BF Goodrich KO2s at 225/65r17 - maybe best off road, heavier, more expensive, maybe don't perform as well on wet pavement
* Yokohama Geolandar G015s at 225/65r17 - good all terrains, maybe weak sidewalls, less expensive than KO2s but still pricey, not much heavier than stock, reportedly good wet pavement

To my knowledge, both brands fit on stock rims and don't rub. Both cause a small drop in average mpg.
BF are good tires but you should check out Cooper tires they make fine tires and are cheaper than mitchelin owned bf goodrich. There best on off road tire in our size is http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-s-t-maxx.aspx but i use the discoverer at3 on my truck because of the improved highway performance. The at3 http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-a-t3-suv.aspx works great on my ranch. The at3 is also considerably cheaper than the maxx and still has a 55,000 mile warranty. Cooper has been making tires in the USA for over 100 years

B
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:33 PM

First Name: B
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeper35 View Post
KO2s are 2nd to none in the sidewall department. Ive run 2 sets now. I also have been selling tires and servicing vehicles for 11 years now.

Search this forum for my overall input on most tires I recommend for the full gist of my knowledge.

Yokohama are the quietest all terrains Ive ever run, including my current Cooper AT3s. Best wet weather traction as well - heard similar experiences with Toyo AT2s and the like. I cant get a hold of them sadly, so I cant personally quote.

Sidewall durability is decent on the Yokohamas (I has the GO12) and took them on a few trips. More puncture resistance with the Triguard sidewall of the BFGs, but being a heavier load range, they are always stiffer/louder. I have had my Coopers about 4k now, and they are better offroad than my Yokohams, but sidewalls worry me some, I do not air down like I did with my KO2s.

Its all about necessity - what do you need the most? For me, its offroad prowess - so BFG is my #1 Im actually about to put a set of KM3s on in October.

If I could get them, Id do Toyos, as Nitto doesn't make anything in our typical sizes.
My ranch trucks with the cooper at3's are punished with heavy loads rocks mud snow and have held up well. I have also had side wall issues in the past with factory installed tires but not with coopers.

B
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Unfortunately, Cooper doesn't seem to make that tire in a size that fits the stock TH rim and wheel housing. One concern I have is with the KO2, which is a great tire, is the wear and stress the added unsprung weight over the stock tires that the system was designed to handle. That's why Im looking at the Geolander or tires that weigh in the low 30 lb range.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
That's the reason I got 235-70-16 LRC KO2's for my TH, which only weigh 35 lbs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage
Just put a set of Toyo Open Country AT II tires on my 2015. 225/65/R17. Had Yokohama Geolandars (same size) on there originally, but at 67,000 miles plus it was time for new rubber. I think they look pretty good.

"...the littlest Jeep is a hoot to drive." - Motor Trend

2015 Renegade Trailhawk
2007 Dodge Caliber
2016 Chevy Tahoe
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 02:00 AM

First Name: Peter
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Medic17TH
Just had the Toyo Open Country AT2 ordered for my 2017 TH. Install is scheduled for next Fri. With my move coming up ( Chicago to Florida) I needed tires I could trust, and I have very little faith in the wildpeak H/T. Total with on sale 100 off a set of 4... $688.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianrenegade View Post

With the KO2, everyone says it's poor traction when wet, I have never experianced this at all on any truck I have ever driven with them. I don't see this as an issue.
This is what worries me most - I've seen this mentioned too about the KO2's, I want to put them on my '15 TH before winter this year. My stock Goodyears are absolute banana peels in the wet, super dangerous I've always felt. I have to slow down way too much to avoid sliding. I can't imagine putting on a tire that's worse, can anyone say the KO2's are better than the Goodyears in the rain?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page