is the Renegade Trailhawk a good replacement for my 2007 Liberty KJ? - Page 2 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 1Likes

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM

First Name: Nate
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeper35 View Post

Just like anything, a good driver, and tires are the obvious 1st step, but having skids everywhere doesn’t hurt 😉
Don't get offended but I personally disagree with your comment. He is talking about "hard core" off roading. I don't know where you go off roading with your renegade but I have been off roading here in the USA and abroad for 25 years with different 4x4 including european brands.

It does not matter how good you are if your tools (Jeep) is not designed and/or equipped for the function you intended to use it for. You are misleading this guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 09:22 PM

First Name: Nate
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU1tj2 View Post
Don't get offended but I personally disagree with your comment. He is talking about "hard core" off roading. I don't know where you go off roading with your renegade but I have been off roading here in the USA and abroad for 25 years with different 4x4 including european brands.

It does not matter how good you are if your tools (Jeep) is not designed and/or equipped for the function you intended to use it for. You are misleading this guy.
I just shot myself in the foot. I realized he is not talking about "hard core off roading". I stand corrected. The Trailhawk fits his needs.
rx7even likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I?d say it?s a pretty good replacement. We used to have a 2007 Liberty (which also was wrecked). The Trailhawk has Hill descent control and 4 low. I also think it has a belly pan or one is available? Not 100% on that. For the the stuff you?re talking about I would say it could handle it and be better on the road to boot. The liberty to me never seemed to have the power where it needed it compared to the Cherokee. The nine speed alleviates most of that in the Renegade but it?s a different beast altogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
In an earlier post, I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagyuma
What about engines? My 2007 Liberty had a 3.7L V6 (210 HP, 235 lb-ft). The Trailhawk is a 2.4 L I4 (180 HP, 175 lb-ft). That's quite a step down in terms of engine size, power and torque. Perhaps the different chassis and lighter weight makes up for most of that difference?

So what about the power? For those of you who have done some offroading with your TH, did you think it was underpowered crawling up over a rock ledge or climbing a steep hill?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2bham View Post
I?d say it?s a pretty good replacement. We used to have a 2007 Liberty (which also was wrecked).

That's what I was looking for - someone with the same experience with these 2 vehicles. Thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
...I also think it has a belly pan or one is available? Not 100% on that.
Doesn't the TH have several skid plates covering pretty much all of the important stuff? Are additional skids required?

Quote:
For the the stuff you?re talking about I would say it could handle it and be better on the road to boot. The liberty to me never seemed to have the power where it needed it compared to the Cherokee. The nine speed alleviates most of that in the Renegade but it?s a different beast altogether.

I never felt my KJ was underpowered. It seemed fine on steep hills and crawling over rocks. But I'm concerned the Trailhawk appears to be underpowered compared to the KJ. How can the 9-speed transmission compensate for that? Is it really better than 4-LO mode in the KJ?

You're right that it would be a very nice going-to-the-trailhead (for hiking) vehicle, as well as capable enough when there are rocks in the roads.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 08:07 AM

First Name: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagyuma View Post
What about engines? My 2007 Liberty had a 3.7L V6 (210 HP, 235 lb-ft). The Trailhawk is a 2.4 L I4 (180 HP, 175 lb-ft). That's quite a step down in terms of engine size, power and torque. Perhaps the different chassis and lighter weight makes up for most of that difference?
As a crude analysis I grabbed some weights off the web, 4,000 lbs for the Liberty (which might be a bit low) and 3,400 for the Renegade. On that basis the power to weight ratios are similar.

2017, 1.4 petrol, 6 speed auto, FWD, Limited, Omaha Orange ...
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 PM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Doesn't the TH have several skid plates covering pretty much all of the important stuff? Are additional skids required?
Depends on who you ask. The ‘skid’ at the center bearing is thin and flimsy. @Sgt_Strife has a much better and more durable skid you can add, and I have hit it MANY times and had no issues. I’ve seen a pic of someone lifting it from the skid and all 4 tires are off the ground.

Skids cover almost everything, except the rear differential is exposed (a few scratches on mine) and the exhaust hangs low under the left rear corner. It will get dented. As well as the muffler, if you do a lot of offcamber/steep climbs.

I added a couple pieces of steel to my front skid to protect the flexible manifold that is exposed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0B752D6E-407B-439E-B7DD-A4814DBEBB5C.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	2396334562   Click image for larger version

Name:	234B2372-F1AE-48E4-ACF5-F0E9660B6734.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	2396334570  

94 YJ
95 ZJ
98 XJ (2wd)
05 WK (2wd)
15 Renegade Trailhawk
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Finally, if I get a TH, is there anything bad or good to say about the different years - 2015, 2016, 2017?

Were there issues in earlier years that were fixed in later years? Anything to be concerned about?

Are there still issues with that fancy 9-speed transmission that plagued the Cherokee in the first year?
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the space in the back of a 2 door Wrangler is more or less than the rear of the Renegade. While being a 4 door there isn't much space in the back of the Renegade.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 05:42 PM

First Name: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:
Finally, if I get a TH, is there anything bad or good to say about the different years - 2015, 2016, 2017?

Were there issues in earlier years that were fixed in later years? Anything to be concerned about?

Are there still issues with that fancy 9-speed transmission that plagued the Cherokee in the first year?
As I said in an earlier post "Bear in mind it is a fairly new model (2015) and a lot of the faults you'll find being reported here will be with early versions. A new one (2018) should be a lot better, but it's still a complex car."
That's not Renegade specific, it is true to some extent with all new vehicles, in fact all products

As to the transmission, well, as you'll have seen here some people don't like it. Whatever, yes there have been problems (see same point as above) but they have found many out and they should be fixed in production by now. Again, buying the latest version is the best protection against getting caught by such problems (especially if the previous owner has 'passed it along'), but there is never a certainty - new faults sometimes get introduced or you can just be unlucky and get a faulty one. FCA don't have a great reputation. The downside is that newer = more expensive.

2017, 1.4 petrol, 6 speed auto, FWD, Limited, Omaha Orange ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page