31 mpg highway? LOL - Page 11 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 19Likes

post #101 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Well....our 2017 gets pretty much 26mpg combined dirt road, 2 lane, 4 lane, city combined here in high humidity MO. If we drive 2 lanes, 60+mpg, we get 28-30mpg. But recently we took a trip to Colorado. We noticed driving through Kansas with a stiff NW wind and driving 75-80mph, we got 25ish. Once we started driving mostly 2 lanes in Colorado and offroad there, we stayed in the 31-33mpg range. Coming home we were averaging >30mpg until we reached MO, and the "Thicker" air.

Seven days in Colorado we went up and down several mountain passes and still stayed >30mpg combined. We're very happy with the mileage we've gotten in a year of driving the Rene.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorado August 2018 169.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	2396342559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorado August 2018 084.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	2396342561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorado August 2018 034.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	2396342563  
Nev likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 129 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I've noticed that when I fill up, reset everything then immediately get on the highway, my mileage "appears" incredibly high, between 36-38 mpg for my 1 hour commute (TBH, that's the pic I snap and send to friends even tho I know the truth...). But shortly after putting around downtown, looking for a parking space, then leaving for the day to get back on the highway, it never goes back to that 36-38 mpg on the way home or for the rest of the tank. Typically stays around 30-34, still not too bad.

While I never rely on the display to determine my "range" on a tank of gas, it does odd things. One time it'll say 186 miles left, then within 15 minutes it'll say 68. I got gremlins drinking my gas or I'm time-warping. Not worth going in to see if there are software updates, as my Jeep is running great and strong and I've read too many horror stories about the flash updates. If it starts acting up, and I expect it will, well.....

The only mod I did was change out the OEM paper air filter to a K&N. I've been using them on all my vehicles for decades and I think they're great. K&N says the filter can go 50,000 miles between washings, but I clean mine while doing an oil change. I used to change the cabin air filter at the same time, but this is the first car I've owned that you have to disassemble to change it.
post #103 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:45 PM

First Name: ray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
While I never rely on the display to determine my "range" on a tank of gas, it does odd things. One time it'll say 186 miles left, then within 15 minutes it'll say 68. I got gremlins drinking my gas or I'm time-warping.
What I find with mine is that it assumes a consumption rate based on recent driving conditions. Go up some hills and at the top the"range" has dropped. When you get back to the bottom, the "range is up again. Completely useless, but the fuel tank level indicator works well.

2017 Renegade Trailhawk (2litre auto)
Hyper green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I'm averaging (according to the computer) 23.3 mpg, which is pitiful considering my TH is an front wheel drive with AWD assist (despite Jeep's clever marketing BS, it's not anything remotely close to a "4x4". It's front wheel drive, and (even if "lock" is engaged) waits until slip is detected to then send some power to the rear. This is the definition of AWD... "torque vectoring").
While it's better than 14-16 MPG that a Wrangler gets... 23.3 is pitiful for a modern front drive system (my '08 Suzuki SX4, also AWD, was averaging, real word, 28 MPG with a 2.0L).
I'm not impressed, to say the least (both with Jeep's fake "4x4" badging, nor with it's real world MPG ratings). I should add that I do 150 miles city/highway per week, plus about 120 miles of interstate per week.
Otherwise... it's a fantastic AWD vehicle. It's extremely capable (for an AWD), looks fantastic (IMHO), and has great creature comforts.

Last edited by Maverick365; 10-13-2018 at 04:30 AM.
post #105 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick365 View Post
I'm averaging (according to the computer) 23.3 mpg, which is pitiful considering my TH is an front wheel drive with AWD assist (despite Jeep's clever marketing BS, it's not anything remotely close to a "4x4". It's front wheel drive, and (even if "lock" is engaged) waits until slip is detected to then send some power to the rear. This is the definition of AWD... "torque vectoring").
While it's better than 14-16 MPG that a Wrangler gets... 23.3 is pitiful for a modern front drive system (my '08 Suzuki SX4, also AWD, was averaging, real word, 28 MPG with a 2.0L).
I'm not impressed, to say the least (both with Jeep's fake "4x4" badging, nor with it's real world MPG ratings). I should add that I do 150 miles city/highway per week, plus about 120 miles of interstate per week.
Otherwise... it's a fantastic AWD vehicle. It's extremely capable (for an AWD), looks fantastic (IMHO), and has great creature comforts.
2 things I've noticed after nearly a full year of owning abused 2016 Latitude about mpg. Highway driving without A.C. running nets about 29-31 and nearly 400 miles in range...slightly less if using A.C..
2nd is cold weather and short trips/city driving/idling in traffic will knock mpg down into the upper teens low 20's.

During the winter I was in the 21-24mpg range. It jumped substantially in warmer weather and I haven't seen a tank average below 26-27

Gotta put in perspective. Compared to Jeeps other SUV type offerings in the lineup the Renegade is about the best in fuel efficiency.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #106 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:03 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
While I'm not a hyper-miler by any means, I do try to squeeze as much mpg out of any vehicle I own. I take simple steps to achieve this. I phrase I use to everyone is "every time you punch the gas, that "cool" sound you hear from your engine is actually quarters spilling out your tail pipe.".

I try to take highways whenever possible, I pick a lane....and stay there. I don't lane hop trying to get ahead of the car in front of you. You gained, what, 12 feet ? I pick a speed...and stay there. Speeding is a no-no, not for fear of tickets, it's that whole quarters out the tailpipe thing of which I spoke.

I check my tire pressure weekly, I don't rely on the TPMS numbers on the dash. Stock tires, no wide/bigger/aggressive tires. I put a K&N air filter in the box. I use quality fuel from a name brand station, no convenience store brands for me. Roof rails are empty, no cross bars installed, nothing strapped on top. No mileage stealing (but cool looking) light bars or light kits.

From day one of ownership, my lowest highway mpg has been 32, highest was 38. Sometimes on the highway, my tranny likes 8th gear and stays there. I manually pop it in 9th, sometimes it stays, sometimes it drops back to 8th, sometimes it never takes. Above 67 mph it stays every time.

As silly as it sounds, I use a saying from when we packed our ALICE packs while I was in the Corps. (yes, I'm that old...lol) "Ounces equal pounds, pounds equals pain". I keep my Latitude as empty as I can, nothing strapped/installed on the exterior (no matter how tempting).

You can get MUCH better mileage out of your vehicle. It's up to you. Don't drive it like you just robbed a bank, don't strap so much off-road crap on it like you're going on a 3 month expedition when in fact you are going to work every day, don't carry 300 lbs of gear inside. Yeah, it all looks cool and you're "at the ready"....for pictures. Install that crap when you DO go off-roading, take it off when done.

If you really like having an expedition-ready looking vehicle with lift kits, heavy over-sized tires, roof racks filled with gear, more lights than Yankee Stadium, that's fine, your vehicle, your rules. But you can't whine about the quarters falling out your tail pipe. YOU did it.
jarhead57 and tdbmd like this.
post #107 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
About 500 miles on ours and about 28.6mpg. Wife back and forth to work, mix of some 40 and 50mph with city driving.

2018 Latitude Altitude
1984 CJ7
post #108 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
My Sport got about 24-25 around town, and right at 30 on the interstate. My Trailhawk, with it's different gearing and final drive gets 23-24 around town, and 27-28 on the interstate. That's with the AC running. This week, the temperature dropped and I turned the AC off. I watched my around town mileage jump to 26.
post #109 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoterbay View Post
I keep seeing advertisements for the 2016 saying it's going to get 31 mpg on the highway.

Has anyone's 2015 ever gotten that? Mine sure hasn't!

I do , mid to high 30s on highway. 2016 2.4 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #110 of 129 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My 2018 Sport has been averaging 24 mpg with mostly in town driving. I took it for a 3 hour round trip (from Mexico, Mo to St Peters, Mo) and the average was between 32 and 33 mpg. I definitely can’t complain about fuel economy with the Renegade, especially compared to my 09 Dodge Durango (5.7 Hemi) or my 02 Jeep Liberty (3.7l). Those two vehicles only got 18-20mpg on the highway.

2018 Renegade Sport
1962 Willys M170 frontline ambulance Jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page