Unexpected MPG - Page 2 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 1Likes

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Our last ski trip, back roads, 4 of us in the Renegade, skis in the roof mounted cargo carrier and gear in the back along with a cooler of food. Hilly, up to 55mph, 28.6mpg.

2018 Latitude Altitude
1984 CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:29 PM

First Name: Frank
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I am at 10k miles now and getting over 25 mpg on my commute. Prior to this about 23-24 mpg.

2017 Altitude
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me at 2000 miles I'm averaging 27.8 since picking up at 29 miles, I've seen as high as 32.2 and the lowest around 25 in town.
I have the 2.4 and 9 speed auto.

One thing I've noticed is if going into headwind at 65 mph if I manually shifted to 8th mileage would go down to about 20 mpg, shifting into auto it would shift between 6th and 7th and would get 25, so it does better letting it shift around different gears than if I kept in high on manual shifting !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popolopolos View Post
I am super happy I have a diesel. Mileage is actually the main reason I bought the manual 2.0L Diesel. I even have the 4x4 and I sometimes wonder if the 2 wheel drive version would have gotten even better mileage.

I'm in Germany and drive every day to work about 40ish miles each way. Half of that on back roads and half on the Autobahn where I'm doing anything between stop-and-go to about 110ish mph where there's less traffic.

I think the worst mileage I ever got was low 30's, and lately where I'm more focused on how I drive, I'm getting upper-30's...and I'm definitely not baby-ing it.

I track all mileage in the Fuelio app and don't count on the on board computer... but to be fair it's usually really close if not sometimes spot on accurate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I wanted to update this thread with more results from my driving. Now I know a lot of people don't have access to diesels, so these results don't transfer entirely to everybody else, but I think some things do.

So, long story short, I've been averaging really great mileage like I wrote before...Then I started wondering what the range of mileages would be from hypermiling and driving uber cautious, to the shitty end when I basically just put the pedal to the metal. Up until now, I've just been driving regularly, and haven't been trying to get good mileage.

So... my last fill-up was focused on hyper-miling. I didn't once accelerate quickly and I drove as ridiculous as possible to achieve excellent mileage. Some people were probably annoyed with me, but it was all in the name of science. In my opinion it's not possible to eek more miles out of a tank of gas. I got 770km. That's just shy of 43.5 mpg (see below). To be clear, the mileage was until the gas light came on. I know there's more miles after the light, but I figure it's a great place to stop as a measure for the next tank.

Here's the fill-up log:

I'm currently halfway through the next tank (pedal to the metal). I'm driving the exact same streets at the same times, so it's as fair as I can make it. I'll fill everybody in when the results are in. I'm curious to see what happens.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:25 AM

So my testing is basically complete.

I still have a few things I want to try, but generally I'm satisfied with the learnings so far.

Long story short, driving like I stole it is not great for gas mileage, but not nearly as bad as you'd think. I was quite surprised.

To clarify, I spent the past tank basically just pedal to the metal constantly. Harsh accelerations and lots of speed on the highway bits. I drove the same exact same roads I did for the hypermiling test and at the same times of day. It's as scientific as I could make it for the real world.

Without further ado, my results:

As you can see, I got basically 100kms less than when I was hypermiling. Pretty cut and dry.

What IS interesting to me though, is that if you look at some of the past logs, you'll see that I actually got better mileage this go around then I did those times. It seems to me that if you accelerate abruptly rather than medium paced, mileage is better. I wasn't expecting that. She apparently prefers to not be babied.

To be sure, on my current take of gas I'm driving as I normally would, but accelerating to my required speed faster than I normally would. I'm curious how this pans out. I'm expecting good number based on these results.

As a disclaimer once again, I have a diesel and these results may not pertain to you. But I would say give it a go to be a little more aggressive with the right pedal for one tank of gas and see how it goes.

I will post one more log in here after this final 'test' tank and that'll be it.

Quote:
I wanted to update this thread with more results from my driving. Now I know a lot of people don't have access to diesels, so these results don't transfer entirely to everybody else, but I think some things do.

So, long story short, I've been averaging really great mileage like I wrote before...Then I started wondering what the range of mileages would be from hypermiling and driving uber cautious, to the shitty end when I basically just put the pedal to the metal. Up until now, I've just been driving regularly, and haven't been trying to get good mileage.

So... my last fill-up was focused on hyper-miling. I didn't once accelerate quickly and I drove as ridiculous as possible to achieve excellent mileage. Some people were probably annoyed with me, but it was all in the name of science. In my opinion it's not possible to eek more miles out of a tank of gas. I got 770km. That's just shy of 43.5 mpg (see below). To be clear, the mileage was until the gas light came on. I know there's more miles after the light, but I figure it's a great place to stop as a measure for the next tank.

Here's the fill-up log:

I'm currently halfway through the next tank (pedal to the metal). I'm driving the exact same streets at the same times, so it's as fair as I can make it. I'll fill everybody in when the results are in. I'm curious to see what happens.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:37 AM

First Name: Nic
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
20kish miles on my '18 Latitude and I'm averaging 26mpg with mixed highway and city driving.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 AM

Last update on mileage...

I'll try to keep this short.

As I witnessed from during my last test, it really does appear that accelerating rather rapidly but short-shifting is the best way to be the most efficient with this vehicle. I accelerate quickly and shift at around 2.1-2.2k RPM.

After reaching my desired speed, I drive completely normally.

This is super efficient and it's perfect because it's my preferred way to drive anyway. Nice and relaxing when I'm at speed, and get to speed quickly and not be a pain in the ass for everyone behind me accelerating slowly.

I am permanently driving like this now. Check my last mileage log where I drove as described, and see what I mean. Incredible mileage.

Good luck.

Quote:
So my testing is basically complete.

I still have a few things I want to try, but generally I'm satisfied with the learnings so far.

Long story short, driving like I stole it is not great for gas mileage, but not nearly as bad as you'd think. I was quite surprised.

To clarify, I spent the past tank basically just pedal to the metal constantly. Harsh accelerations and lots of speed on the highway bits. I drove the same exact same roads I did for the hypermiling test and at the same times of day. It's as scientific as I could make it for the real world.

Without further ado, my results:

As you can see, I got basically 100kms less than when I was hypermiling. Pretty cut and dry.

What IS interesting to me though, is that if you look at some of the past logs, you'll see that I actually got better mileage this go around then I did those times. It seems to me that if you accelerate abruptly rather than medium paced, mileage is better. I wasn't expecting that. She apparently prefers to not be babied.

To be sure, on my current take of gas I'm driving as I normally would, but accelerating to my required speed faster than I normally would. I'm curious how this pans out. I'm expecting good number based on these results.

As a disclaimer once again, I have a diesel and these results may not pertain to you. But I would say give it a go to be a little more aggressive with the right pedal for one tank of gas and see how it goes.

I will post one more log in here after this final 'test' tank and that'll be it.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My average mileage is 32.7 MPG. I have the small 1.4 L turbo and 6 speed manual transmission and 4x4. On my instrument console I keep the bar graph up that shows the actual mileage as you drive. By monitoring this I am able to keep good mileage.

Yes, Vikings have horns!!!
2018 Renegade Sport 1.4T 6 Speed Manual 4X4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page