Jump Start versus Battery Pack - Jeep Renegade Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

First Name: Rog
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Jump Start versus Battery Pack

There have been a number of posts about giving/receiving jump-starts versus using a battery pack.

Whilst I can see that giving a jump to a car that might have dodgy electrics and/or an unknown load on the battery may cause a problem, what's the likely cause of problems the other way round? Surely the "giving" car (provided it's switched off) is just giving out 12 volts DC, the same as a battery pack?

And assuming I'm wrong, can anyone in the UK give a recommendation for a battery pack that will start the 2-litre diesel Rene?
Thanks, Rog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 03:03 PM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
It's the CANBus that makes it suceptible to noise and/or damage. Either as jumper or jumpee.

Check on Amazon.co.uk RAVPower are good. I think the latest ones are rated at 1000A.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Not only are battery jumpers much safer for both you and your expensive vehicles, but they are also useful emergency devices should you have say a vehicle with a dead battery at a campsite only to also notice that you're at 5% battery on your smartphone. A jumper battery can also rapid charge your phone back up to 100% for piece of mind.

I recommend buying one larger than you need, because not only is it useful for other people you may be assisting that have say a high compression V8 (like a vette), but they will also still be able to turn over a vehicle that has a bad battery that needs much more assistance from a booster pack.

As was mentioned, there are a ton on amazon. NOCO is a popular brand. That said, do know that with a lithium pack in the vehicle that you will want to check it now and then (perhaps every time you do an oil change), and make sure its not swelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Rog
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Thanks folks - the ones I've looked at seem incredibly small to be able to start a big diesel. Still, the reviews (even from sceptics like me!) look good. Think I'll go for the 1000A RAVPower (up to 5L diesel)- Amazon are doing it for 70.

Thanks for the tip about possible swelling, Jessica - will keep an eye open
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the CANBus that makes it suceptible to noise and/or damage.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Nev

Another nascent spambot.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:46 AM

First Name: Jim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Smith View Post
they are also useful emergency devices should you have say a vehicle with a dead battery at a campsite only to also notice that you're at 5% battery on your smartphone.
The entire reason I go camping in the first place is to go where my phone doesn't work.
Considering how small they are, I'd consider a permanent installation back in the trunk somewhere, with some 1/0 cable running up to the battery.
Add a little bit of circuitry as needed, and I'm good to go.

18 BU, 17 BU, 13 MK, 12 KK
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If jumping a dead Renegade with a battery pack, is it safe to connect the pack directly to the positive and negative battery terminals or should the negative lead from the battery pack go to the Renegade chassis? I have read many posts stating direct connection to the battery causes many software glitches and many warning lights to appear. In fact a lot say DON'T jump start a Renegade. What is the right thing to do?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:11 PM
Nev

Connect directly across the battery. Not across any of the electronics that sit atop the battery these days.
See the manual for procedure and photos.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
"jump start" is archaic. Nobody (modern) does that anymore.
Today there are VERY affordable (and fantastic) booster packs (my favorite: NOCO GB70) to do that task. No needing anyone at all.
df170659 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List