Poor Battery Connection???? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question Poor Battery Connection????

Hi - New to this forum so please forgive if this has been addressed.

I have a 2018 Jeep Renegade Limited and I looooooove this vehicle - the only issue I have is reliability.

When we first went away (we were gone 10 days), upon return the Jeep started no issue. When I parked it (to go shopping) and then to restart it, it did not start. The cure for that: calling my hubby who drove to me, popped the hood and moved the battery connection slightly - Jeep started up no issue.

We just got back and now the freaking Jeep won't start at all (FOB won't work etc) - it's been 3 days since I've been home.

Hubby determined that the battery is not dead (he popped the hood and with a slight touch of the connection) the Jeep started no issues for him. This morning I went to use the Jeep and it still won't start (I can't even get into the Jeep - I have to manually unlock it).

I started reading threads from this forum and showed him some other "similar" issues which he advised, "the battery is not dead, its the connection".

QUESTION: does anyone else have these issues? My Jeep is under warranty, but come on - it's a brand new vehicle. I got this Jeep because my last car left me stranded and now I'm fearful this new vehicle will do the same to me - it's stressing me out lol.

Suggestions, thoughts, and comments are welcomed.

Keep on Jeep'n
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Obviously there is an issue with the connection to the battery. Like you said, the vehicle is under warranty. It's not convenient, but you should take it in. Maybe @JeepCares can help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would take it to the dealer. They will probably clean and tighten your battery connections and all should be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:45 AM

First Name: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
It could be the actual battery too.
Years ago I had this sort of problem and it turned out the connection below the post inside the battery was cracked. So wriggling the connection moved the post a fraction and remade the circuit for a while.

A few people have reported faulty batteries in newish Renegades, so definitely chuck it to the dealer.

2017, 1.4 petrol, 6 speed auto, FWD, Limited, Omaha Orange ...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks so much for your reply; Ill be heading over this weekend. When I touched the connector, it made a crackling noise (like electricity-ish crackles) and it started for me. Hubby agrees that the dealer needs to look at it. thanks for your help.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:52 AM

First Name: Terry
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDo78 View Post
Hi - New to this forum so please forgive if this has been addressed.

I have a 2018 Jeep Renegade Limited and I looooooove this vehicle - the only issue I have is reliability.

When we first went away (we were gone 10 days), upon return the Jeep started no issue. When I parked it (to go shopping) and then to restart it, it did not start. The cure for that: calling my hubby who drove to me, popped the hood and moved the battery connection slightly - Jeep started up no issue.

We just got back and now the freaking Jeep won't start at all (FOB won't work etc) - it's been 3 days since I've been home.

Hubby determined that the battery is not dead (he popped the hood and with a slight touch of the connection) the Jeep started no issues for him. This morning I went to use the Jeep and it still won't start (I can't even get into the Jeep - I have to manually unlock it).

I started reading threads from this forum and showed him some other "similar" issues which he advised, "the battery is not dead, its the connection".

QUESTION: does anyone else have these issues? My Jeep is under warranty, but come on - it's a brand new vehicle. I got this Jeep because my last car left me stranded and now I'm fearful this new vehicle will do the same to me - it's stressing me out lol.

Suggestions, thoughts, and comments are welcomed.

Keep on Jeep'n
No trouble with my 2018 Latitude,just less then 2 months old.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:14 PM

First Name: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDo78 View Post
When I touched the connector, it made a crackling noise (like electricity-ish crackles) and it started for me.
99% certain that's a loose connection. As it was audible I'd think it more likely outside the battery than in.

2017, 1.4 petrol, 6 speed auto, FWD, Limited, Omaha Orange ...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
In the renegade, the negative terminal connector is a clamp on style. IT is not uncommon form the factory for it to be adjusted to not have good tension when clamped. Unclamp it, tighten the threaded lever and reclap. Repeat as necessary until you have goo clamping force.

With a bad ground all sorts of stupid things will happen.
Nev and mikeindp like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
On the 2018 it is not a clamp on style battery connection. Mine is a quick connect that can rotate on the battery post. Not sure how we would tighten this style?

2018 Jeep Renegade 4x4 Altitude
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My battery failed during the first year of ownership so if your problem persists it is the battery.
Somehow FCA got sold some batteries that were defective. They know about it. They should take care of this problem before any class action lawsuit is filed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page