Goodbye to my TrailHawk - Jeep Renegade Forum
 6Likes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-02-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Goodbye to my TrailHawk

Well after 2 and 1/2 years, 30000 miles, and several problems I finally said goodbye to my 2016 Renegade TrailHawk. It was a good run ,marred by a few problematic incidences.
I traded her in on a 2019 Compass Limited. Hopefully this one has the bugs worked out and stays with me for a long time.
horses11 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-02-2019, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ouch, that is a rather short relationship! So what were the incidences?
Have fun with the Compass, lovely car especially in the lifted Willy edition!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I kind of did the same thing with my Sport with the 1.4T. I just traded her for a new Trailhawk after repeated clutch issues. I had only had her since September and 16,000 miles. Hopefully you have better luck with the Compass!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-05-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Stig the first was a windshield that arrived sandblasted from transport. Took 3 months to get a replacement. Drivers seatbelt clunk noise at top of mount. Dealer tried to say normal until I went to diff dealer. Found the height adj Assyrian was coming apart. Could have been bad for me in an accident. Replaced at 2500 miles. Fan took a dump at 16000 miles leaving me stranded 800 miles from home and a unknown length of time in back order with advisor saying they had some Renegades waiting 6 months for replacement.
With Jeep Cares involvement it took 3 weeks. Oh and the car was hit on drivers front and rear door while there. Another 2 weeks to fix. Now at 30000 clicking noise in pass side front while braking/ letting off brakes.
Dealer has balls to say it was from dirty/ muddy undercarrage. Note I never got to take it off road. Wanted $120 to power wash undercarriage. I said yes do it. When I got to dealer I walked over to GM and had him walk me out. Goi in my Renegade and put it in gear. On release of brakes click-click from pass side front of Jeep. He was not happy with service dept to say least.
That was last straw n I said my goodbye to the Renegade.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
If I have this correct. You are upset with the Jeep because of two problems, possibly three, in three years? Bad seat belt assembly? Understand, safety issue. Cooling fan? Yup, could overheat the engine. And the third could possibly be a loose brake pad or shim missing?

The windshield is a shipping issue. Not a manufacturing defect. The accident was just that, and it was taken care of.

2018 Latitude Altitude
1984 CJ7
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-05-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

84CJ those were just a few of the problems off the top of my head that I chose to disclose. In the end the choice was mine to replace my TrailHawk. Someone asked why and I gave an answer I’m not bashing the Renegade.
You like yours? Good hope it works for you for as long as you want.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-07-2019, 11:37 AM

First Name: Richard
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a 2016 Renegade Trailhawk, now with just over 20,000 miles. I have used it like a jeep was intended, exploring back forest roads and trails, through mud, snow, dirt and gravel. The only problem I have had is 4 flat tires, none while off road. ( I just put on some new Falken Wildpeak AT tires but have yet to take them off road) I tow a teardrop trailer again with no issues. Of course the trailer is only 900lbs dry. I don't know if I have just been lucky with problems appearing when I put on more miles or not. I just keep hearing of issues with the Renegade so I wanted to mention the good side.
Mrsig and 84cj like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhuggins View Post
I have a 2016 Renegade Trailhawk, now with just over 20,000 miles. I have used it like a jeep was intended, exploring back forest roads and trails, through mud, snow, dirt and gravel. The only problem I have had is 4 flat tires, none while off road. ( I just put on some new Falken Wildpeak AT tires but have yet to take them off road) I tow a teardrop trailer again with no issues. Of course the trailer is only 900lbs dry. I don't know if I have just been lucky with problems appearing when I put on more miles or not. I just keep hearing of issues with the Renegade so I wanted to mention the good side.
Not sure what it's like in your neck of the woods. Here in Maine/New England, there are Renegades all over the place. On an average run to the store, I may see at least 3. Couldn't tell you how many I saw in all my running around this morning. If they were that bad, there wouldn't be this many on the road. I also work in a small independent repair shop, only thing we see them in for is oil changes and tire rotations. With todays internet availability, it's very easy for the few issues to show their faces. How often to we see people like you on a forum just to say 'hey! Loving my Renegade!! 120,000 trouble free miles!!!' It just doesn't happen. All we hear is the bad out of the millions of good.

2018 Latitude Altitude
1984 CJ7
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-07-2019, 02:54 PM

First Name: Richard
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84cj View Post
Not sure what it's like in your neck of the woods. Here in Maine/New England, there are Renegades all over the place. On an average run to the store, I may see at least 3. Couldn't tell you how many I saw in all my running around this morning. If they were that bad, there wouldn't be this many on the road. I also work in a small independent repair shop, only thing we see them in for is oil changes and tire rotations. With todays internet availability, it's very easy for the few issues to show their faces. How often to we see people like you on a forum just to say 'hey! Loving my Renegade!! 120,000 trouble free miles!!!' It just doesn't happen. All we hear is the bad out of the millions of good.

Richard Huggins here again. I live in the Pacific NW (Washington) where withing an hour or two at most we can be in the mountains or on the coast. There are many off road opportunities and lots of Jeeps. I see many Renegades but for some reason I have not seen any in the off road places I go for either hunting or just pleasure. I don't know why as mine has taken me many places that you would never want to take a 2 wheel drive to.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread 05-07-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhuggins View Post
Richard Huggins here again. I live in the Pacific NW (Washington) where withing an hour or two at most we can be in the mountains or on the coast. There are many off road opportunities and lots of Jeeps. I see many Renegades but for some reason I have not seen any in the off road places I go for either hunting or just pleasure. I don't know why as mine has taken me many places that you would never want to take a 2 wheel drive to.
I think, and I could be wrong. Most people buy them either for the looks, versatility or the Jeep name. Not necessarily for it's possible off road/rough road abilities. Insert soccer moms here.....

2018 Latitude Altitude
1984 CJ7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List