1Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Cell phone mount in a renegade

Hi every1,
new trailhawk owner here. I'm curious to know/see pictures of how people mount their cellphone in a renegade.

I bought a magnet thing you stick on the dashboard but it keeps falling to the floor and doesnt stay in place when it gets hot in the Jeep. Threw that away.

The previous car I drove had some kind of mount you would insert in the CD slot, though it was very shacky it would hold my cellphone. I didnt really liked that option, and cd drives are obsolete lol.
There was a time also where I had a mount that was working great and stable but it was the one you clip in a vent. I could use one like this but I dont like the idea of blocking a vent with my phone. Especially in the winter where it would overheat my cellphone by blowing hot air on it.
I've seen someone screwing in a magnet holder like the one I bought but I dont wanna damage the dashboard.

Hopefully with you guys advice, the next device I'll buy to mount my cellphone in the Renegade will be the right one

Vincent

Vince
Black 2018 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceqt View Post
Hi every1,

new trailhawk owner here. I'm curious to know/see pictures of how people mount their cellphone in a renegade.

I bought a magnet thing you stick on the dashboard but it keeps falling to the floor and doesnt stay in place when it gets hot in the Jeep. Threw that away.

The previous car I drove had some kind of mount you would insert in the CD slot, though it was very shacky it would hold my cellphone. I didnt really liked that option, and cd drives are obsolete lol.

There was a time also where I had a mount that was working great and stable but it was the one you clip in a vent. I could use one like this but I dont like the idea of blocking a vent with my phone. Especially in the winter where it would overheat my cellphone by blowing hot air on it.

I've seen someone screwing in a magnet holder like the one I bought but I dont wanna damage the dashboard.

Hopefully with you guys advice, the next device I'll buy to mount my cellphone in the Renegade will be the right one

Vincent
I have a cigarette lighter arm mount that's fantastic, haven't looked back!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This appears to be the latest version of the one I bought back in 2016. The one I have does not have the quick release or the bottom holder supports but it has lasted very well so I would buy this again if needed. I also have a little plastic disc that had some 3M tape on the bottom that holds it to my dash vent since it couldn't suction well to the curved surface. Have not had any problems with it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_125011.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	2396344213  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That is a good spot to install it, i might try this. I'll see when I sit in the jeep after work if it feels like a good spot. I thought about the suction thing but it seemed too far from reach if I would stick it in the windshield.

Vince
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I used a base from ProClipUSA ($29.99), a phone holder and arm from 67 Designs ($76), and some hardware I had laying around to build a solid phone holder. No drilling into the Renegade's dash, the base uses 3M double tape and locks into the gap around the vent. Kind of pricy, but works well for me. I've been using a similar 67 Designs set up in my Wrangler for a couple years. The iPhone slides in one handed. After the photos I ran/hid a long iPhone charger cable behind the dash that snakes out next to the mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	76D768BE-EAF6-4248-8F7F-5D205CC8D12A_1560886364702.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	2396344215   Click image for larger version

Name:	3A2FEE7C-99D8-4EE7-8F5D-E76318C847AA_1560886446312.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2396344219  

2018 Trailhawk Alpine White

Planned Mods - Renegade Ready Hitch Kit, Yakima Cross Bars, phone holder
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
When I first got my Latitude, I too looked for a cell phone holder for my Samsung Galaxy 8+. I didn't like the ones that blocked a vent (idiotic move in Texas), the kind that glued on your dash, etc.. In the meantime I tossed it in the little tray in front of the shifter. I had it in landscape mode with the screen facing me. It worked so well that after a few days I gave up on the holder.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:27 PM

I like the iOttie Mini mount, compact and low profile. Holds the phone tight with spring closure, just slap the phone on the holder and it grabs. The arm length is perfect for the location, I can touch the screen with my hand on the steering wheel. Also the suction cup dose not require a disc to stay.
iOttie Easy One Touch Mini Dash &... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8ZVDBH...p_mob_ap_share
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190629_122135_1561836161800.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2396344327  
-Finn likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow that one seems promising Sleepy, thanks, I love the arm

Vince
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:12 AM

Small edit, since I have the same mount in my work truck I got mixed up, I can reach the screen with my hands fully on the wheel in my truck, but in the Renegade I have just my wrist on the wheel, still not a stretch by any means, I also have small hands, so it might not even apply to most people. iOttie also make one with extendable arm, that model has couple pegs at the bottom of the holder (typical style) as well. I had that style prior to the mini, but I like the mini more due to the simplicity and clean look.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Is the grip tight because I dont see any support at the bottom, just the side ones? I got a galaxy s7 edge so it aint the biggest phone but still has some weight to it

Vincent

Vince

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List