Drove a Renegade Rental for a couple days - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Tom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Drove a Renegade Rental for a couple days

Some may remember me posting here some time ago and showing a lot of interest in the Renegade. Based on having seen and sat in one at a car show, I found the Renegade rather attractive with just the right size and features, and apparently well-made.

Last week I had a Renegade Limited for a two days and drove it for several hundred miles. Here are my impressions:

The Good:

-good utility
-carries 4 in comfort (as far as seats, leg- and headroom go)
-appears well-made with very good fit and finish, decent materials
-looks good (to me)

The Mediocre:

-gas mileage (I had the 2.4l)
-the ride (a bit on the unstable side due to steering (see The Bad) and handling
-the engine lacks 50 hp, an inline 5 or V6 would be better suited
-A-pillars are friggen huge and like the black box behind the interior rearview mirror it obstructs the view

The Bad:

-the very laggy shifting just kills the fun and turns this vehicle into a slow pig
-the atrocious electrically assisted steering; that car is all over the place as soon as you hit a bump in the road; makes for very jerky and unpleasant ride. My '85 Bucik wagon had a better feeling steering, and that thing was terrible - admittedly, I am used to and pretty much expect the handling and steering feel German sports sedans offer, so I am certainly biased.
-due to the lousy steering feel not suitable for long distance driving; I drove for two hours and had enough of it after 30 minutes

I really wanted to like this vehicle more than I ended up liking it, but I wouldn't buy one. Maybe as a second car that is not a primary vehicle, but as a short trip around-town type vehicle.

What Needs Fixing to Pique my Interest in the Future:

-more powerful engine
-manual 5-speed or a not-laggy slushbox
-better steering feel
srino likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My experience was just the opposite.

Back in January, my wife's subaru Forester had to go back to the dealer for a recall on the airbags. Since it would be there for a couple of weeks, they gave us a Renegade Limited as a rental until the Subie was ready. We liked the Renegade so much that we hated to return it.

Short story; we sold the Subie for a LOT more than the dealer offered as a trade-in and now we have a new Renegade Trailhawk that we're both very pleased with.
horses11 likes this.

Keep the rubber side on the ground
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Same for me. I've had mine into the shop a couple times for software upgrades that seem to have improved the shifting. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong that they released updates for this. She isn't a sports car and she isn't a true off-roader... The Renegade lands somewhere in the middle pretty good. My manual 6 FR-S/GT86/BRZ got 30+ MPG and drove like a go cart. A drivers car. I was pleasantly surprised with the capability and compromises the Renegade has. 25MPG on the 2.4 auto with no freeway driving is pretty good in my books for a vehicle that can get out in the mud, sand, snow, gravel and do it pretty well. The FRS would be sideways in my driveway when it started raining before I even got in it.... But man was it fun....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamont View Post
Some may remember me posting here some time ago and showing a lot of interest in the Renegade. Based on having seen and sat in one at a car show, I found the Renegade rather attractive with just the right size and features, and apparently well-made.

Last week I had a Renegade Limited for a two days and drove it for several hundred miles. Here are my impressions:

The Good:

-good utility
-carries 4 in comfort (as far as seats, leg- and headroom go)
-appears well-made with very good fit and finish, decent materials
-looks good (to me)

The Mediocre:

-gas mileage (I had the 2.4l)
-the ride (a bit on the unstable side due to steering (see The Bad) and handling
-the engine lacks 50 hp, an inline 5 or V6 would be better suited
-A-pillars are friggen huge and like the black box behind the interior rearview mirror it obstructs the view

The Bad:

-the very laggy shifting just kills the fun and turns this vehicle into a slow pig
-the atrocious electrically assisted steering; that car is all over the place as soon as you hit a bump in the road; makes for very jerky and unpleasant ride. My '85 Bucik wagon had a better feeling steering, and that thing was terrible - admittedly, I am used to and pretty much expect the handling and steering feel German sports sedans offer, so I am certainly biased.
-due to the lousy steering feel not suitable for long distance driving; I drove for two hours and had enough of it after 30 minutes

I really wanted to like this vehicle more than I ended up liking it, but I wouldn't buy one. Maybe as a second car that is not a primary vehicle, but as a short trip around-town type vehicle.

What Needs Fixing to Pique my Interest in the Future:

-more powerful engine
-manual 5-speed or a not-laggy slushbox
-better steering feel
I would agree with what you think is good but not so much on some of the other things. The A pillars are huge and I'm still getting use to them and I agree, for a fwd with a modern transmission at around 3100 lbs, the gas mileage isn't that great. My v6 Cherokee that has 90 more hp and probably weighs 500 lbs more gets about 1-2 less mpg and is a second quicker to 60mph.

With that being said, I'd like more power too but it's still class competitive. Jeep would want you to step up to a Cherokee or Wrangler if you want more power. If you want the 2.4 with a manual, looks like the new Compass can be had with that.

IMO the steering and ride is really good. I'm coming from a MINI Cooper S that also had really good steering but extremely stiff ride. While the Renegade isn't nearly as sporty, I don't miss the MINI as much as I thought I would. For being an inexpensive car, I think the renegade is pretty good. I know you admitted it but even thinking German while driving something less than $45k (or German) is going to set you up for disappointment.

I'm wondering if your rental never had any software updates. I've had a few quirky moments but nothing terrible with the tranny. I wish it would downshift faster when I step on it, otherwise I can totally live with it. Sorry to hear you were not much of a fan of it. No real big complaints from me with about 2k miles on the clock.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Steering is one of my favorite things about the Renegade. It is light and nimble and the steering wheel for some reason feels very good in my hands. Hit some pretty good potholes and the Renegade did not over react in anyway, stayed true.

The 9speed is different and takes some time to get use too. The acceleration can be improved by some software upgrades and there are other upgrades offered my Madness that can push the acceleration over the top.

The Renegade is not for everyone. For me its a fit. I wanted a good all around vehicle with a true 4wheel drive system and the Renegade was one of the few small capable 4wheel drive available on the market.

There are pro's and con's with any vehicle, I wish you the best in picking a good fit for you.
priell3 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
I really like the steering and suspension too. Maybe part of the problem is that it was a rental? People really trash rentals, and the car doesn't get a chance to adjust to a driving style.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 05:19 PM

First Name: Mike
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I find the ride, handling and acceleration and shifting to be all good on mine. Bought one week ago today. Build date of March 2017.

MikeP
2017 Jetset Blue Renegade Sport 4X4
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
IMO the steering and ride is really good. I'm coming from a MINI Cooper S that also had really good steering but extremely stiff ride. While the Renegade isn't nearly as sporty, I don't miss the MINI as much as I thought I would. For being an inexpensive car, I think the renegade is pretty good. I know you admitted it but even thinking German while driving something less than $45k (or German) is going to set you up for disappointment.

Just a shout out, I came from a mini Cooper also lol 🙋
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with you friend.
I also rented this from the Car Rental 8 Coupons and i had it for 6 days.
Extremely good car, now i am planning to get one.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
There are many performance products available for this car. Go to Fiat 500 Madness website and look at what they have.
I bought the GoPedal and my vehicle turned into an entirely different kind of beast. Imagine a little Ferrari in jeep clothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page