Jeep Renegade towing Aliner Ascape - Jeep Renegade Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

First Name: Beth
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Jeep Renegade towing Aliner Ascape

At the Chicago RV show this weekend, I came across a 2018 Aliner Ascape with the A-Plus Package which has A/C, cassette toilet, tv, sink, range, fridge, micro, etc. Dry weight is 1638 lbs. Has anyone tried towing this much with the Renegade? I know the towing capacity is 2,000 lbs. I have a 2016 Jeep Renegade Limited without the tow package. I would have to add a towing package onto it if this was possible. I worry about being so close to the maximum tow capacity. I'm also looking at the Aliner Ranger 12 but it doesn't have all the amenities as the Ascape. Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
i wouldnt risk it, but if you do, post pics and tell us how it went.

I mean nobody wants to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli, but I did and I'm ashamed of myself - Ricky

Betsy
2017 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4
Jetset Blue - 2.4 Liter MultiAir Engine - Auto Transmission
Cold Weather Group - Trailer Tow Hitch - Remote Start - 6.5 inch Navigation - Popular Equipment Group - My Sky Roof - 18 inch Aluminum Wheels
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm no expert, but I think it would depend somewhat on the roads that you intend to travel while towing and the mileage you plan to accrue. If you are planning to travel on roads with steep inclines/declines and/or if you are planning to rack up thousands and thousands of miles, it is probably not a great idea.

I would probably be as worried about the braking power of the Renegade, rather than just the tow weight. Does the Aliner have it's own brakes on the axles? If so, this may not be any issue at all, but you would need the proper wiring connection if you do add the trailer hitch.

If I recall, the 2,000lb tow rating also includes cargo inside the vehicle? Not sure if it includes passenger weight, or only over a certain amount? You also need to check the tongue weight (downward force) of what you plan to tow and make sure it is within the limits.

Lastly, keep in mind that Renegades with a factory Tow Package include an oil-cooler and lower gear ratio, along with the actual trailer hitch assembly. If you just attach a trailer hitch, your tow capacity could be lower than 2,000lbs... I am not sure. Also, Tow Packages include a full size spare. If I recall, Trailhawks already include the oil-cooler, gear ratio, and full size spare.

I have a Trailhawk with the tow package... a few times a year I use it to pull a tilt-bed trailer and an ATV... I am never going very far and the total tow weight is probably closer to 1,200lbs max... the vehicle seems to pull the load just fine, but I am extra careful with regard to braking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If it were me, Id be looking at a Scout Lite, or Ascape MT if I stuck with A-liner. Youd be surprised what camping gear, coolers, food, water, etc weigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:01 AM

First Name: Nick
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Towing small caravan in UK

Hi here in the UK I tow a small 2 berth caravan with my Renegade without any problems. However mine is a 2.0 diesel 140 bhp 4x4 Auto Anniversary edition and I suspect being in the U.S. yours is not a diesel...

Pickup from standstill is still good and once rolling the weight is not noticeable. The legal towing speed limit here is 60mph which can easily be accidentally exceeded at times (!). My van weighs 959kg which is around 2100lb, the towing limit for mine is 1500kg or 3300lb. I don't have the towing package, just a Witter aftermarket towbar.

There is a good review (admittedly for the UK market) here: https://www.practicalcaravan.com/rev...-jeep-renegade

Regards, Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010079.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	2396337849  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb500 View Post
My van weighs 959kg which is around 2100lb, the towing limit for mine is 1500kg or 3300lb.
Still wishing the 2.0L diesel was available in the US...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holygeez03 View Post
If I recall, the 2,000lb tow rating also includes cargo inside the vehicle? Not sure if it includes passenger weight, or only over a certain amount? You also need to check the tongue weight (downward force) of what you plan to tow and make sure it is within the limits.
For 2.4L (Trailhawk 4x4):

Max GTW: 2,000 lbs

Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) is the weight of the trailer plus the weight of all cargo, consumables and equipment (permanent or temporary) loaded in or on the trailer in its "loaded and ready for operation" condition.

Max GVWR: 4,586 lbs

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the total permissible weight of your vehicle including driver, passengers, vehicle, options and cargo.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Beth
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thank you everyone for your posts about towing with the Renegade. I do not have the tow package so do not have all of the stuff that it comes with. I don't think I am going to attempt to tow with it because I am too scared that something will happen. I will have to consider a different vehicle if I want to get the Aliner Ascape.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Jo' View Post
At the Chicago RV show this weekend, I came across a 2018 Aliner Ascape with the A-Plus Package which has A/C, cassette toilet, tv, sink, range, fridge, micro, etc. Dry weight is 1638 lbs. Has anyone tried towing this much with the Renegade? I know the towing capacity is 2,000 lbs. I have a 2016 Jeep Renegade Limited without the tow package. I would have to add a towing package onto it if this was possible. I worry about being so close to the maximum tow capacity. I'm also looking at the Aliner Ranger 12 but it doesn't have all the amenities as the Ascape. Thank you!
I tow an aliner ascape with a 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk and an electric brake. No issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page