Parking brake warning, airbag warning and seatbelt warning all at once. Please help! - Jeep Renegade Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Parking brake warning, airbag warning and seatbelt warning all at once. Please help!

Bought a 2016 Jeep Renegade Sport yesterday with 24000km on the clock. By all reports from dealer car was in fine condition no defects found and recently serviced (though I’m starting to doubt this highly).

Drove to work and back today without a hitch, I was absolutely in love and happy to finally own my own Jeep!

Got home from work and realised I needed to go pick up dinner. Jumped back into the car and turned it on, heard a bell sound and saw check parking brake sign and amber warning light on. Next thing I know check air bag warning light comes to life followed by seat belt warning buzzing every 5 seconds.

I have no clue what the hell is going on and will be taking the Jeep back to dealers tomorrow to explain wtf is happening when they’ve supposedly serviced the Jeep before I picked it up.

Pre-inspection report I have saws nothing is wrong and the road worthy certificate again says no defects.

I’m heart broken at the thought that my dream to own a Jeep has started so poorly. If anyone has experienced this, please let me know how it was fixed or what happened...

Thanks

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:11 AM

First Name: Stephen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
last time mine did that, dealership had to replace the battery as it would not start either.

Now it is doing it again but it does start.

Do you have any ODBII scan device plugged in to the ODBII port?

----------------------------
Thanks,
Stephen

2016 Renegade Trailhawk
2" ATP lift, 235/65/17 tires, GoPedal, Madness Autoworks Tune
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:04 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
We just dealt with this issue on our '16 Trailhawk. Intermittent and often: "service parking brake", "seat-belt chime", "airbag warning".
Very annoying.

After 4 tries (various software updates, etc) and 2 different dealers, the cause (as listed in repair order) was a "short in the drivers side seat-belt sensor".

I don't have the paperwork with me, but they either repaired it, or replaced the sensor. It's been about a month and no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Update: Took my Renegade to the dealers on Saturday morning, whilst driving there I had all three alerts buzzing about. About 20 mins into the drive the airbag and seat belt warning lights turned off, check parking brake light still on.

Went into the dealers, asked what they believed it could be, advised sometimes happens with used cars that have sat at the dealers for sometime. Potential low battery.

Needed to drive 2 mins up the road to speak with their manager at another dealership. Got into the car and the lights just all disappeared. Car back to normal. Told the manager what had been happening, they decided to keep the car until technician could have a look Monday.

Got a call today saying they have been unable to replicate the issue at all and when they’ve investigated they have found absolutely nothing wrong with any of the systems lighting up.

They’re keeping it one more night and will have a look tomorrow as well.

Typical car to stop playing up when it’s about to get looked at by the dealer...

Hoping it’s a one off. Does anyone else have any similar experiences?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpd2 View Post
Update:
Needed to drive 2 mins up the road to speak with their manager at another dealership. Got into the car and the lights just all disappeared. Car back to normal. Told the manager what had been happening, they decided to keep the car until technician could have a look Monday.

Got a call today saying they have been unable to replicate the issue at all and when theyíve investigated they have found absolutely nothing wrong with any of the systems lighting up.

This was our exact experience. We would have the messages daily then they would disappear when we brought it to the dealer. One dealer had it 3 times and could not figure it out. Second dealer fixed it on the first try.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXMan View Post
Quote:
Update:

Got a call today saying they have been unable to replicate the issue at all and when they’ve investigated they have found absolutely nothing wrong with any of the systems lighting up.

This was our exact experience. We would have the messages daily then they would disappear when we brought it to the dealer. One dealer had it 3 times and could not figure it out. Second dealer fixed it on the first try.
Are you still finding the issue hasn’t come back since the sensor repair?

Drove the car back from the dealer lastnight and no issues at all. But I’m not holding my breath haha.. now that the Jeep knows it’s away from the dealer I’m sure the issue will come back.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Are you still finding the issue hasnít come back since the sensor repair?

Drove the car back from the dealer lastnight and no issues at all. But Iím not holding my breath haha.. now that the Jeep knows itís away from the dealer Iím sure the issue will come back.
Exactly. No issues since the sensor repair. It was extremely frustrating for my wife because it would happen when she drove it, but not when I, or the dealer drove it.

I would not have thought that a drivers-side seat-belt issue could trigger all these other warnings.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXMan View Post
Quote:
Are you still finding the issue hasn’t come back since the sensor repair?

Drove the car back from the dealer lastnight and no issues at all. But I’m not holding my breath haha.. now that the Jeep knows it’s away from the dealer I’m sure the issue will come back.
Exactly. No issues since the sensor repair. It was extremely frustrating for my wife because it would happen when she drove it, but not when I, or the dealer drove it.

I would not have thought that a drivers-side seat-belt issue could trigger all these other warnings.
Wouldnt you know it... problem has come back!

Taking it to the Jeep dealer this weekend to get them to look at the seat belt sensor.

Still in love with my renegade though. Just a bit of a trickster.
OBXMan likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 PM

Garage
I just pulled out my paperwork. It was not a sensor, but the buckle itself.

"Tech found the drivers side seat belt buckle with an internal short. Replaced drivers side seat belt buckle"

Part: 6KL82JXW-AA Buckle BU 23049001
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:32 PM

First Name: Troy
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I had similar warning lights when I went to start the car after it sat with the lights on. Battery voltage was low but it still started. Drove around a while and all warning lights went off. Happened again a couple months later when I was cleaning it out with the doors open. The sensors seem to be very sensitive to voltage. Sounds like you had other issues as well but if it persists have them thoroughly check the battery and wires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List