Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Haha... my last car was a Suzuki SX-4. I LOVED that thing. I bought it with about 60k miles on it, ran it until 130k miles and had ZERO issues with it. Only did oil changes, brakes and battery (oh, and wipers too). It was the most problem free car I've ever had! However... it's no surprise. Suzuki has always been on the top end of reliability. ALWAYS.
So now I have this Jeep Renegade. It hasn't given me any trouble yet (yet I'm only at 4k miles now), but I definitely keep my eye on things. Jeep and Fiat have (routinely) had the worst reliability records and now they're together (yikes!). Anyway.. we'll see.
Now if we could just get the '19 Suzuki Jimny here in the USA (Suzuki Auto left the USA in '12)... I'd be happy as a clam (had a mid eighties Samurai/Jimny and that, too, was insanely robust)!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:25 PM

First Name: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick365 View Post
Now if we could just get the '19 Suzuki Jimny here in the USA
Under your current administration?

Previously: 2017, 1.4 petrol, 6 speed auto, FWD, Limited, Omaha Orange ...

Now gone electric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeindp View Post
Meh, wouldn't even matter. Despite Suzuki staying in the US market until 2012, they actually stopped importing the Samurai/Jimny as far back as the early 1990's.
Consumer Reports put out a bogus roll over rating on the Samurai that severely hurt it's US sales. It was later determined that the tests were false (Consumer reports purposefully, and on tape admitting it, pushed it far beyond their "test standards" to MAKE it roll over) and consumer reports had to pay out a HEFTY lawsuit (which they lost) to Suzuki as a "sorry we lied".
Unfortunately, we all (in the US) suffered because Suzuki decided "no Samurai/Jimny for YOU then!" and we received no more.
I won't even tell you who was rumored to be behind that "false test"... but lets just say it was rumored to be the Samurai/Jimny's closest competitor (who was loosing massive sales due to the low cost yet rugged Samurai). Google is your friend (if you want to know the whole story)
I just wish Suzuki would come back to the US and with a big "F you", release the 2019 Jimny here! It would be Epic!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Compared to what, a European imported Renegade?

If the Renegade can come in tariff free, and not bother to build a plant in the US for US consumers, than why not Suzuki? Besides, its not a pickup truck, so wouldn't be hit by the chicken tax that goes all the way back to the late 1950s and has nothing to do with Trump.

The thing is, the real expense is that when you make a car in the US you really have to setup a supply chain and support the vehicle for 10 years as well with new replacement parts.

Suzuki would have to decide, with all the "cute utes" on the market, will they sell enough units? Remember, Americans love horsepower, and will not tolerate an excessively slow vehicle, and the Jimny only makes 100hp/ftlbs in the optional top engine trim IIRC, and even if they make it super lightweight, that's still going to be slow and also will have very little impact on highway acceleration where you're mostly fighting drag rather than weight at that point (and the Jimny is not an aerodynamic vehicle).

When it comes to boxy vehicles, that don't necessarily need to go offroad (which most consumers don't), something like a Kia Soul with 200hp is likely going to be a lot more appealing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Smith View Post
Compared to what, a European imported Renegade?

If the Renegade can come in tariff free, and not bother to build a plant in the US for US consumers, than why not Suzuki? Besides, its not a pickup truck, so wouldn't be hit by the chicken tax that goes all the way back to the late 1950s and has nothing to do with Trump.

The thing is, the real expense is that when you make a car in the US you really have to setup a supply chain and support the vehicle for 10 years as well with new replacement parts.

Suzuki would have to decide, with all the "cute utes" on the market, will they sell enough units? Remember, Americans love horsepower, and will not tolerate an excessively slow vehicle, and the Jimny only makes 100hp/ftlbs in the optional top engine trim IIRC, and even if they make it super lightweight, that's still going to be slow and also will have very little impact on highway acceleration where you're mostly fighting drag rather than weight at that point (and the Jimny is not an aerodynamic vehicle).

When it comes to boxy vehicles, that don't necessarily need to go offroad (which most consumers don't), something like a Kia Soul with 200hp is likely going to be a lot more appealing.
I wasn't aware that the EU built Renegades were tariff free. I expect the ones with the Chrysler powertrain would have a lower tariff as those (engines & transmissions) are apparently built in the US.

To import or build a plant or nothing is a huge crystal ball job. Things change. Nissan, Toyota, Honda and MINI (BMW) all have major plants in the UK and Brexit is now a big risk to them. I can't see any foreign company wanting to break into the US market at present given the, shall we say, unstable nature of the tariff situation. They'll wait and see for a while.
On top of that the rise of electric powertrains is a game changer. No, it's a tournament changer. The US will likely be one of the last countries to really embrace electric, for both geographic and cultural reasons, but the rest of the world is moving rapidly that way. (Yes, there are and always will be niches for IC power, but for mass-production electric is becoming the future now that realistic 200 mile range is here.)
So it's likely that Suzuki and others will be aiming at the rest of the world with economical IC, hybrid and electric (increasingly the last) and the IC market in the US will be served by domestic plants, be they Ford, etc, or foreign owned. (I do wonder why FCA chose to build the Renegade in Italy, Brazil and China and not at all in the USA.)

Now gone electric.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Nissan, Toyota, Honda and MINI (BMW) all have major plants in the UK and Brexit is now a big risk to them.
According to whom? The UK made cars before Brexit for the EU market, and the US and Canada engage in trade without an "AU" American Union.

Quote:
I can't see any foreign company wanting to break into the US market at present given the, shall we say, unstable nature of the tariff situation.
If you insist on being divorced from reality, then that's certainly your choice, but I think you're letting your politics blind you from real world numbers. Manufacturers were leaving the US at a rapid pace, especially investing heavily in Mexico for tax savings to sell in the US market, until the big threat of tariffs.

This has almost completely ended all future investment in Mexican plants, and we've already seen massive expansions in the US as well, because the market will not tolerate uncertainty, and there is certainty that a US plant ensures reduced risks. Invest in Mexico or the EU and maybe get hit with a 25% tariff in the first or second largest vehicle market in the world, or invest in the US and have zero risk of this... its a no-brainer.

https://rsmus.com/what-we-do/industr...s-to-rise.html

"Germany, the United Kingdom, France and Japan are the leading contributors to automotive FDI in the United States. Many large automakers have committed to increasing their investments in this country, as seen through the actions of companies such as Toyota and BMW, which pledged $10B and $600M, respectively, to their U.S. facilities over the next few years.

Automotive suppliers are similarly following suit. For example, Japanese automotive supplier Fukai Toyotetsu Indiana Corporation will be investing $56.9M to expand its Indiana operations. "

Here you can see how the US economy has divorced itself from the rest of the world, and has been rapidly rising in contrast, so the trade negotiations have at the very least not hurt the huge quarterly 4.1% GDP growth: https://i.imgur.com/5luvlHc.jpg
Quote:
On top of that the rise of electric powertrains is a game changer. No, it's a tournament changer.
No, its entirely irrelevant. Electric cars make up... wait for it... 0.15% of vehicles on the road today.

That's right, not even 1%, and they aren't primary cars for that tiny fraction, as the target demographic tends to be wealthy households that keep them around as third or fourth vehicles.

Hybrids and plug-in hybrids are infinitely more practical, and diesels are still hugely popular in the EU with as high as 66% of road going vehicles being diesel powered in France for example. Electric has too many compromises and it is far too wasteful to have extra vehicles around because the electric can't always meet needs due to limited range and inability to achieve rapid recharge for road trips or even just parking in front of the house for the week going to work, since it needs to be consistently plugged in every evening causing a need for car shuffling in the drive way and competition in large family households where mom, dad, and their 2.5 children have cars in the highschool years and still visit after.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:37 AM

OK.
TH4x4 and Nev like this.

Now gone electric.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
> 8. Renault Captur

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 06:59 AM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
@Jessica Smith TL;DR

Just to say: Chrysler went bankrupt and had to be bailed out. Nuff said.
mikeindp likes this.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page