Advice for purchasing a Renegade - Jeep Renegade Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Advice for purchasing a Renegade

Hello All:

I need some advice for purchasing a Renegade. Thanks for any help you can provide.
I am moving to Denver CO soon. I really need a 4WD. When I was younger I owned
a Jeep Wrangler and really loved it. Unfortunately the Wrangler is not practical for me
now. I really like the looks of the Renegade. I have read where the Renegade is similar
to the Wrangler. Do you agree?

I'm really curious about your advice on the engine/transmission I should purchase. I
REALLY love a manual transmission, but I'm worried the 1.4L is not as powerful as the 2.4L
I have also read some of your comments about the issues with the 9-speed auto transmission.

Does the 6-speed manual transmission (1.4L) give you want you need?

Thank you!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Other than the Jeep sticker, the Wrangler and the Renegade aren't similar at all, other than some shared interior bits. The Wrangler is RWD with a true 4x4 system, while the Renegade is FWD biased with an AWD system. It's still solid in the snow, though. Then you have solid axles vs. independent suspension. 285 hp vs 160 or 180. So they don't really compare.

But the Renegade gets better gas mileage and handles better. If you get one and it ends up being one of them without issues, it's a nice car, especially for the price.

The manual and automatic transmissions have about the same torque, but the manual has 20 less horsepower. (But will likely cost a couple grand less.) Probably not a huge difference performance-wise. If you want a manual, go for it!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed, Wrangler and Renegade are different animals. I have owned both and prefer Renegade for my needs. It will go anywhere I need to offroad and rest of time you don't pay the Wrangler I am driving a tractor feel around town and on highway.
mak1965 likes this.

2018 Trailhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:42 PM

I'm happy with the 2016 1.4 manual. Handles the snow with no problem when in 4x4 locked. Problem is they are not making them starting with 2019.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
We love our 1.4 manual renegade. You could probably find a 2018 model for cheap since no one wants manual anymore. The performance difference is not that significant between that and the 2.4. However, the gas mileage is not great if you live somewhere hilly or you like driving fast. The "4x4" system is pretty effective in snow.
JFS likes this.

Jungle Green 75th Anniversary 1.4T
Madness GoPedal-Madness ECM
GFB DV+-1"wheel spacers
Mopar tow hitch bumper w/tow hook
that's all for now...
1963 VW Bug Black Sedan 1914cc
1998 TJ 4.0 Sport Moss Green
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:34 PM

I didn't get my 2016 until March of this year, brand new leftover. Very hard to find. There was one in Texas and one in New Jersey, that was it! I got lucky, a loaded Latitude with the My Sky for $19,500
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurd View Post
Other than the Jeep sticker, the Wrangler and the Renegade aren't similar at all, other than some shared interior bits. The Wrangler is RWD with a true 4x4 system, while the Renegade is FWD biased with an AWD system. It's still solid in the snow, though. Then you have solid axles vs. independent suspension. 285 hp vs 160 or 180. So they don't really compare.

But the Renegade gets better gas mileage and handles better. If you get one and it ends up being one of them without issues, it's a nice car, especially for the price.

The manual and automatic transmissions have about the same torque, but the manual has 20 less horsepower. (But will likely cost a couple grand less.) Probably not a huge difference performance-wise. If you want a manual, go for it!
Excellent comparison. I couldn't have said it better myself!
Jamie Smith likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
You didn't mention what you want to use it for. That might make a difference on models/engines to choose. Mainly road use and you want AWD for snow and such, either will be great. Light off road driving, either should be fine too. More extreme off road, you might want to look at the automatic depending on types of trails. Then the tralhawk comes in the picture with the lower range first gear which helps even more in slow going rocks and climbs.

I have the 1.4t/6 speed combo and like it a lot. Surprisingly fun to drive and fine for hitting some dirt trails in the area.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
The renegade is good in the snow. It's good on service roads/fire roads and access paths where someone knocked down the trees already. Off roading, if you want to go around obstacles, it's great. If you want to go rock crawling it is not so great. If you want to go in deep mud.. meh not so great. Beach cruising for fishing access? Pretty good at that. Tearing ass around big, open, generally flat, loose surfaces? It's a frikin hoot at that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you!

I really appreciate all the helpful information.
mak1965 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page