16Likes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Jon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Full Size Spare vs. Tire Service Kit

Hi All,

I have been looking into getting a Jeep Renegade for quite some time but one thing that has bothered me is the lack of a full size spare tire on any series other than the TrailHawk. I realize that I can purchase a spare tire as an option on the Sport, Latitude, and Limited to complement the tire service kit already provided standard. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on having a spare tire as standard equipment versus a tire service kit. Would you keep safer with a full size spare or are you ok with just a tire kit. Does this go against Jeep's rugged look and feel by not providing a tire?
GORUCK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Garage
A couple of vehicles ago, I had a car with only a repair kit. I knew it would only work for certain types of flats and I was okay with that. I've been driving for 34 years, mostly in New England, and never had a flat in any of my personal vehicles. I have had slow leaks that needed repair, but I've never needed to put on a spare (or been left stranded). I have always had AAA as a backup - for a little peace of mind.
I do think it makes Jeep look a little... well, less "Jeep" and more Fiat. That's just the way things are going.

Link to a little article on the subject: http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/th...pare-tire.html
twospirits and QuinnGTL like this.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Full size spare is important enough to me that when I changed wheels and tires I bought 5 of everything including TPS modules. I have AAA, and I know they'll get me home. The full size spare allows me to fix the issue at my place of choice/convenience rather than have to make a spur of the moment decision based upon where the flat occurred. As I also offroad with the Renegade, it's a must on that car, but I have one for all of my vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
it's just not a jeep without a spare tire. unlike rsanges though, i've had a few flats in my day. i actually got a normal tire rather than the full size spare that comes with the spare tire kit, so if i lose a tire on an interstate in the middle of nowhere, i can stick with the extra tire for quite some time. either way, no spare tire is not right for a vehicle carrying the jeep brand. it should have a winch on the front too and kc lights and all that good stuff.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to scans007
Funny - had my mini for 10 years, runflats - never a flat. Had my jeep a week got a nail in my Tire......woke up to 14psi was enough to get me to a close gas station for more air then to a shop for a plug. I thought the computer was crazy as the tire didn't even really look flat at 14psi. Sure enough when I measured it it was....

I didn't even know I didn't have a spare at all until I needed it - I was floored. So much empty space under my trunk floor.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:58 PM

First Name: David
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Good topic.

I've had nails in my tires that slowly deflated the tire but got me to a tire shop to fix. Never had an actual flat that I had to switch the tire for the spare which 2 of the 3 vehicles I've rode in had. I just rode to the tire shop (which are a dime a dozen here in NYC) I'm lazy to do it myself. As for my future Renegade, I'm debating whether if a full size or temp spare is needed. But on the other side of the coin, it good to know it will be there if a situation arises.

TS

Favorite Quote: The No is always there, you are just looking for the Yes.
Click for signature of Renegade Smileys
Spoiler
Jeep Renegade waving gif Smileys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
I only really care about a full-size spare if I'm off-roading or on a long trip. For daily driving around town, a fix-a-flat, compressor, (or worst case, AAA) are sufficient to get me going.

Jeeps:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk
1999 Cherokee Classic
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You cannot do a puncture repair after you have injected foam into the tyre (UK ) . I have ordered a full size tyre with mine as there are nails and screws in the worlds roads
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure where you all live, but when I inquired at our Jeep service department the spare tires were not in the system yet. What can I use as a alternative, I have a Renegade Limited with 18" wheels. Would rather have a full size wheel/tire
mak1965 likes this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
I just used my employee discount (25%) to purchase the full size spare kit. With tax it was $238. Comes with tire, jack, screwdriver, bag & strap for something. Not cheap, but peace of mind. There is still a ton of room leftover for the inflation kit, jumper cables, tool bag, etc..

We are heading out for a 2500 mile round trip and didn't want to be worried about more than just a nail in the tire. Having both the tire and inflator is nice.
Tbago51 likes this.

Steve
USMC RETIRED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List