2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kevog

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Kevin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus vs OEM Kumho tires

OK, after 1000+ miles - here's my review of my new Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus tires vs the Kumho Crugen that came on my Latitude. It's important to note that I have the 18" wheels and opted to go with 235/55 vs the OEM 225/55 width tires. I also added Supreme Suspension spacers at the same time. I have no clearance or height issues at all, but it seems to me that these tires would have fit ok even without the spacers, although I'm thrilled with the spacer handling and look!!!

I read reviews of the Pirelli Scorpions for years and had always wanted to try them, and when they went on sale at Discount Tire Direct WITH about 4 different mail-in rebates, I had to pull the trigger! My impressions = these are freaking awesome tires! I was impressed from the start at how much more quiet and smooth these are over the OEM, and I don't think that those are really that bad at all. The Pirelli definitely handle better...I guess the best way to describe it, is that there's an increase in road "feel" without increased harshness. The Pirelli also have much better tracking on the highway! I'd noticed that the Kumho required a slightly higher amount of steering input at 55+ mph, but not the Pirelli - they track very straight. Small, to medium impacts are more muted. Another thing I really like is the lower rolling resistance with the Pirelli - this was so dramatic that it actually took some getting used to (more braking vs tires slowing me down). My overall MPG seems to have stayed about the same, despite being a wider width tire and with a little more weight (between the spacers and the Pirelli being about 3 lbs per tire heavier)! They seem to be wearing well and also don't seem to pick up as many rocks?

I really don't have anything negative to say? Again, the OEM Kumho aren't bad, the Pirelli are IMO just an all-around improvement and I highly recommend them.
GoCommando? and Tonto like this.

2017 Renegade Latitude
2.4 liter 4X4
Red/tan-black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 09:05 PM

First Name: Frank
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thank you for your thorough review.

"Just an ol' nature boy takin' a picture"

2017 Colorado Red Latitude FWD
2.4L Multi-Air Tigershark
Automatic - 6.5 Uconnect Nav
Northern Illinois - USA
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:59 PM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Going to a wider tire almost always improves handling, especially a 'better' touring should increase feel, performance, etc. Seeing that there are both an H rated and V rated options, I hope you got the V @Kevog . Both look to be on sale due to discontinuation.

Most kuhmo tires are decent, and the performance options being very good and typically quiet. I hear most pirellis roll loudly, and aren't the most comfortable. The times I've driven different ones (selling tires for 10 yrs) I've seen lots and lots of overly stiff rides after just a year of use. Also most reviews that hold grounds are after 10k of use. Real world usage.

Don't use armor all or tireshine if you can, if you do make sure it's water based.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:23 AM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
I've had these on the Evoque for years. They are damn good. Although once they have a few 1000 km/miles
on them they are less sure footed in snow.

Also they are not brilliant in packed snow/hard ice although better than a standard road tyre.
(They are not snowflake rated here.)

Watch out as there are 2 versions: a summer one and a 4 season M&S one. (That may be a Europe thing.)

Will be moving to them on the Renegade for the winter, most probably.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks Kevog. I am 36,000 into my 2015 Rennie and am now replacing my Kumhos. They were okay but I want different and will go with the Scorps. Your review helped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List