Tire type? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Murf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North Central Indiana
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Question Tire type?

I have a 2017 Latitude. It has 215/60R17 tires on it and the brand is Crugren. I'm guessing these are the original tires as the jeep had 26,000 miles on it when I got it.

The tires do not say "P" for passenger or "LT" for Light Truck anywhere on them that I see.

What are they?

I take it I can put LT tires on it? Those won't effect my mileage will they?

Thanks
Murf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:28 PM
Nev
Senior Member
 
Nev's Avatar
 
First Name: Nev
Join Date: May 2017
Location: France
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Kumho Tyres.

Probably Euro spec. We don't use P or LT here.



2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
Nev is online now  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I have a 2017 Latitude. It has 215/60R17 tires on it and the brand is Crugren. I'm guessing these are the original tires as the jeep had 26,000 miles on it when I got it.

The tires do not say "P" for passenger or "LT" for Light Truck anywhere on them that I see.

What are they?

I take it I can put LT tires on it? Those won't effect my mileage will they?

Thanks
I'm not impressed with the oem Crugen.....on light gravel I've had rocks embed themselves INTO solid blocks of tread...not even a groove, these rocks sliced into a block in the tire...not deep enough to puncture at least.

Needless to say I'm not confident in these tires in any type of off road, even light trails.

I'd suggest something more robust unless you plan on highway driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
velocityc6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
 
txjeeper35's Avatar
 
First Name: Jason
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
You can put whatever you feel like on your Jeep. Just expect the obvious issues with any LT tire (see KO2)


Never go under factory spec (98s) most tires in bigger sizes will be sufficient. Tame - aggressive, the bulkier or heavier tire can affect mileage, noise, ride quality, etc.
-Finn likes this.

94 YJ
95 ZJ
98 XJ (2wd)
05 WK (2wd)
15 Renegade Trailhawk
txjeeper35 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeper35 View Post
You can put whatever you feel like on your Jeep. Just expect the obvious issues with any LT tire (see KO2)


Never go under factory spec (98s) most tires in bigger sizes will be sufficient. Tame - aggressive, the bulkier or heavier tire can affect mileage, noise, ride quality, etc.
What issues? I jave 235-70-16 KO2'S with zero issues. I purposely got that size because they are 6ply instead of 10 ply & only weight 36 lbs each rather than 43lbs for the 10 ply.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ROBINSONMAC is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
txjeeper35's Avatar
 
First Name: Jason
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINSONMAC View Post
What issues? I jave 235-70-16 KO2'S with zero issues. I purposely got that size because they are 6ply instead of 10 ply & only weight 36 lbs each rather than 43lbs for the 10 ply.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The typical size of 225/65/17 is a D load (8ply) and weighs 39lbs. The 235/70/16 is a XL (6ply) is not an LT. But, a more aggressive tread, will be louder, and rougher ride. The ability for it to track well is wet weather is really the biggest 'problem' as its more of not driving like an ******* which I do most days lol.


There's plenty of options out there, if you look hard enough. I sell tires, so I literally test products. 34k and Im on my 4th set of tires. Currently the AT3 Cooper in 235/65/17 is on. Ran 2 sets of KO2s now. Next is the new KM3 later this fall

94 YJ
95 ZJ
98 XJ (2wd)
05 WK (2wd)
15 Renegade Trailhawk
txjeeper35 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeper35 View Post
The typical size of 225/65/17 is a D load (8ply) and weighs 39lbs. The 235/70/16 is a XL (6ply) is not an LT. But, a more aggressive tread, will be louder, and rougher ride. The ability for it to track well is wet weather is really the biggest 'problem' as its more of not driving like an ******* which I do most days lol.


There's plenty of options out there, if you look hard enough. I sell tires, so I literally test products. 34k and Im on my 4th set of tires. Currently the AT3 Cooper in 235/65/17 is on. Ran 2 sets of KO2s now. Next is the new KM3 later this fall
Not sure where you got your facts but the 235-70-16 KO2s are Load C which is 2 load ranges above XL and is the exact same tread pattern as Load D & E, has 15/32 tread depth & 1985 lbs @ 50psi max. They are not louder (they quieter than the A/T they replaced) or rougher, and load C or D will ride better than a Load E, 10 ply as the sidewalls are not as stiff. But they still have better sidewall strength than most A/T tires except maybe the Falken AT3w or the new Grabber ATX. They work great in rain & snow I commute 56 miles round trip 85/15 hwy and wheel 2-3 times per month on weekends.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ROBINSONMAC; 04-29-2018 at 11:17 AM.
ROBINSONMAC is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
txjeeper35's Avatar
 
First Name: Jason
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Agree to disagree?? I get my facts from life. I have been selling tires, and automotive things, for almost 11 years. And was an enthusiast before I started this path.

In p-metric it’s called XL, in LT it’s called C Load or 6ply. Same difference.

My facts come straight from Michelin (BFG) and my experience using them/ selling them. The KO that was replaced was not as loud as this tire, that is straight from experience, and from the KO2s sidebiters. They were tame on the KOs, and as you well know, the new sidewall shoulder is straight from the KX (Krawlers) or the more we’ll known KM2 MT.

The sidewall BFG has is patented, meaning they have something going - since the 70s. The puncture resistance on their off-road tires is second to none. I personally have seen a KO slice open, where the KO2 crawled past. Same with a nitto terragrapper G2, but of course the wrong tire placement, anything is possible.
txjeeper35 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINSONMAC View Post
Not sure where you got your facts but the 235-70-16 KO2s are Load C which is 2 load ranges above XL and is the exact same tread pattern as Load D & E, has 15/32 tread depth & 1985 lbs @ 50psi max. They are not louder (they quieter than the A/T they replaced) or rougher, and load C or D will ride better than a Load E, 10 ply as the sidewalls are not as stiff. But they still have better sidewall strength than most A/T tires except maybe the Falken AT3w or the new Grabber ATX. They work great in rain & snow I commute 56 miles round trip 85/15 hwy and wheel 2-3 times per month on weekends.
not to burst your bubble but LT LRC is not "2 load ranges" above a XL, two totaly different things. a LRC is the lowest LT you will get, it's the ply rating, there are no A and B. an XL is a p metric with a higher weight capacity. I'm a huge fan of the Falken AT3W but it's sidewall is no comparrison to a BFG.

also, a LRC (6 ply) offers no smoother ride vs a LRE (10 ply) as far as sidewalls fo, the sidewalls on them are all still a patened 3 ply steel/kevlar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeper35 View Post
Agree to disagree?? I get my facts from life. I have been selling tires, and automotive things, for almost 11 years. And was an enthusiast before I started this path.

In p-metric it’s called XL, in LT it’s called C Load or 6ply. Same difference.
an XL and a LRC are not the same at all.
canadianrenegade is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Nev
Senior Member
 
Nev's Avatar
 
First Name: Nev
Join Date: May 2017
Location: France
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
XL in Europe means extended load: Reinforced sidewalls that can run at higher pressure than the standard tyres
and will need to be at higher pressures than those quoted for the stock tyres to be at their maximum load rating.
If I've understood correctly.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-articl...-disadvantages
Nev is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For owners who don't have a spare tire talltexan Aftermarket & Add ons 7 03-26-2018 12:46 PM
Flat tire : What will Roadside do? ElementRenegade Problems/Issues 7 03-21-2018 11:48 PM
1.5'' lift tire sizing/spacing jpoist28 Suspension 5 02-17-2018 03:52 PM
wife got hit by a tire on interstate from another car and smashed headlight and grill [email protected] Problems/Issues 7 01-26-2018 03:57 PM
Service Tire Pressure System warning chuckaude Problems/Issues 10 01-14-2018 05:58 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off