post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:52 AM

First Name: ray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhuggins View Post
One question I have had regarding the different tires is that when making a change from stock you often have the difference in your indicated and actual speed. Is there any way to reprogram the speedometer to reflect the correct speed? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick365 View Post
So the difference is .5" height gain, but sensors only see .25 (1/4").
@Maverick : Sure about that? I would have thought that regardless of where the sensors are, they are measuring time intervals, ie wheel revs. If the stock Trailhawk has tyre diameter of 690mm and the Pirrelli 724mm, then that's a 5% difference

@Richard : my speedo on stock reads 60mph when I am doing 58mph. That means after changing tryes - as I will do when my current ones are worn - when I am driving at the same wheel revs, indicating 60pmh, I will in fact be going 5% faster than before, ie a true speed of 61mph . So no, I don't need recalibration because the speedo will be MORE accurate on the new tyres.

Check your own speed. The easiest way is a mobile app such as Osmand that does this, but also check by calculating time and distance. In the UK the motorways have numbered distance posts every 100m, so if you get up early enough to beat the traffic you can drive watching the speedo at a constant 60mph for 3 minutes, and a helper watching for traffic but also the noting the distance readings at start and finish. Do the sums.

2017 Renegade Trailhawk (2litre auto)
Hyper green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 PM

First Name: ray
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Arrow

Stupid lack of ability to change posts after a while : in the previous post I meant "circumference" rather than "diameter", of course. If we had that diameter, ground clearance would be huge.

2017 Renegade Trailhawk (2litre auto)
Hyper green
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:41 PM

First Name: Bruno
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick365 View Post
Let's put some heat on the tire manufacturers... maybe more will jump into the fray if they sense a market for it!... and also for stock size too! If no one asks... they won't care. I've already done it, email your favorite tire brands and let them know you're in the market for "X" size tires!
That is a good idea. Some are already moving into that direction, like for example Falken.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 215/65R17 99T, 4 ply and 32,2 lbs

I never used it, but considering the attached picture and the 4 ply, it could between the Wrangler and KO2.

Bruno Germany
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Falken.png
Views:	61
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	2396342817  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmarado View Post
That is a good idea. Some are already moving into that direction, like for example Falken.

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 215/65R17 99T, 4 ply and 32,2 lbs

I never used it, but considering the attached picture and the 4 ply, it could between the Wrangler and KO2.

Bruno Germany
Awesome! Thanks for this info! Things are looking up! So the 225 range was/is growing (225/65r17 fits stock w/o lift, but is 1/2" larger at 28.5"), it seems like so too is the stock 215 range (stock TH is 215/65r17)! At least now we have 4 choices of "off road capable" tires to chose from now if we want to keep stock!

Stock size (215/65r17): "off road capable" tire choices:

Goodyear Wrangler SR-A (barely more aggressive than an all season)
Falken Wildpeak H/T (barely more aggressive than the SR-A)
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s (hybrid, closer to an all terrain)
Falken Wildpeak A/T 3W (true, milder, all terrain)

I hope even more manufacturers jump on board!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have had the Cooper AT3 on a couple full size pickup trucks and they have been really good tires in that application. I would guess that they would be good on the Trailhawk as well. I got good wear and reasonable noise levels for a AT tire. They were quite a bit better than the highway all season tires that we have also had on some of our farm/ranch trucks. When I need to replace the Falken OE tires, I will likely go with the Coopers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page