• 1 Post By slinghigh
  • 1 Post By Mud Pie

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Chris
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
30k service (2.4l) needs spark plugs?

So I brought my car into a local dealer for the fan recall, and while there had a 30,000-mi service done. Of course the dealer recommended spark plugs, and I went ahead and did them for an extra $200+. Now I'm thinking it probably didn't need them and this was just another BS dealer upsell. What are your thoughts? Should a well maintained 30,000-mi vehicle require spark plugs? Also I'm doubtful that the dealership even completed all of the 30k services. Is there any way to determine if they actually flushed and replaced the transmission fluid as they were supposed to do?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
What does it say in the manual? There should be a maintenance schedule that will say when it's recommended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Chris
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY4x4 View Post
What does it say in the manual? There should be a maintenance schedule that will say when it's recommended.
It says 80k - to 100k for the 2.4l and 30k for the 1.4 turbo.

What I'm wondering is have other 2.4 owners actually needed plugs at 30k regardless of the manual specs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:51 PM

First Name: Dennis
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Garage
I went thru the owner's manual for the 2.4L and it states 100k/or 10 years for spark plug replacement. The only thing I found for transmission flush was for the manual transmission, nothing for the 2.4L. There is an inspection of the fluid level for PTU and rear differential fluid at 40k or 4 years. My original dealer made no mention of changing transmission fluids but they have been sold to new owners. Now they come with all kinds of needed servce, for example, coolant flush every 30k, the manual states a coolant flush at 10 years or 150k miles. The service writers have sales goals they need to meet and will try to up sell as much as they can. My dealer charges $340 for transmission flush. They charge $270 to replace the plugs, when I asked why so expensive the service writer says the spark plugs alone cost $74. Total bull, I can buy the exact same spark plugs at my local auto parts store for $28. I will try to do as much as I can on my own (unfortunately not a whole lot) but I am seriously considering of getting stuff done elsewhere from now on.
CRZY4x4 likes this.

2015 Renegade Latitude - Sierra Blue
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenman.us View Post
So I brought my car into a local dealer for the fan recall, and while there had a 30,000-mi service done. Of course the dealer recommended spark plugs, and I went ahead and did them for an extra $200+. Now I'm thinking it probably didn't need them and this was just another BS dealer upsell. What are your thoughts? Should a well maintained 30,000-mi vehicle require spark plugs? Also I'm doubtful that the dealership even completed all of the 30k services. Is there any way to determine if they actually flushed and replaced the transmission fluid as they were supposed to do?

having been a mechanic/smog tech for 35yrs....nobody does the what is it now 24point inspection....I mean we do give it a quick inspection but it's lacking...and no... read your manual...100,000mi plugs...did you have a miss or a cel...if not the computer will let you know if you need plugs before the scheduled maintenance ….do it your self...it's fun...it will take you 3 times longer then them but it's done right....there on there phone....texting there girl...going to the club.. watching the clock....or getting home to the kids and family,...are there good mechanics you bet....but check and question all work that the service writer tries to sell you....you can always go back...good luck....diy
CRZY4x4 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
When I had my PT Cruiser, I had it in for a blown timing belt. They recommended changing out the water pump at the same time being it had to be removed anyway. I agreed. The service tech called me back and said everything would be 380 bucks. I was shocked it was so cheap. I said to do a complete tune up while they have it. He said okay. A few minutes later I got a call back from the mechanic (not service tech) and he said, "Just wanted to let you know I saw on your ticket you requested a "complete tune up". It's not just changing out the spark plugs like the old days. It's plugs, coil packs, removing the intake and clean, flush fuel system, new gaskets and more. It's about 1000-1200 bucks to do. Is this what you wanted ?" I said "NO !!". He laughed and said he didn't think so and I didn't need it anyways.

There are still a few honest mechanics out there. The service tech on the other hand just said "Ka-ching !!" at my request.
slinghigh likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
The interval is for the plugs is supposed to be 100k miles.

That being said, you can hit up youtube and google for plug replacement on the 2.4 l dodge darts (same engine, same iridium plugs), of people pulling theirs and replacing at 30-40k, and most of them the plugs are in surprisingly sorry shape.

An example this one at 8 minutes gives a good look at their cylinder 3 plug. Cylinder 1 looks OK (at 2:50, also shows the champion plug's skinny electrode tip that is near gone on cylinder 3), but cylinder 3 looks end of life at 30k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page