Break-In Period - Jeep Renegade Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Break-In Period

Obviously, most of us in the US haven't logged that many miles yet, so I've been focused mostly on a proper break-in of my vehicle.

The procedure cited by Jeep is pretty standard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Online Manual
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission
and axle) in your vehicle.
• Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles
(100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
• While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws
contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be
detrimental and should be avoided.
• The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy
conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated
climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Maintaining Your Vehicle”
Owners of vehicles that get above-average gas milage for their model often attribute it to a proper break-in period. Does anyone else have any good break-in tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 10:30 PM
JFS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Yep.

No valet parking. Evar!

Change oil at 300 miles with dino oil and then at the first real oil change use a nice full synthetic like Mobil1 for the rest of its life. Esp. if you've got a turbo.

And then drive it like you're a valet attendant.

At 3rd oil change, get a used oil analysis (UOA) from Blackstone labs for a baseline on your engine wear.

I do it every year thereafter. IMHO.

Jon
2015 white Sport 4x4 M6, Air and Power packages, added Renegade 17” snowflakes and roof rails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JFS; 03-29-2015 at 10:35 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Renegade gasoline engine use this oil:
PETRONAS SELENIA K POWER
API SN, ILSAC GF-5, MS 6395, FIAT 9.55535-CR1 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REFERENCE N°F042.F11, Chrysler MS 6395, ILSAC GF- 5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:31 AM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Garage
"PETRONAS SELENIA K POWER"

I saw that on the under-hood sticker. Lots of luck finding that here in the U.S.A.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbike View Post
"PETRONAS SELENIA K POWER"

I saw that on the under-hood sticker. Lots of luck finding that here in the U.S.A.
Searching for "Chrysler MS 6395" yields some good info:

http://jeepoffroadadventures.com/wp/?page_id=787
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:47 AM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTom View Post
Searching for "Chrysler MS 6395" yields some good info:

http://jeepoffroadadventures.com/wp/?page_id=787
Nice find, thanks!

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you for posting this! I want to make sure to do all the right things when ours comes in.
PAK325 likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
I tend to baby my new vehicles for the first 1000 miles, which pretty much matches most manufacturer recommendations:

• Don't leave engine speed constant for prolonged periods of time - vary it up, if you're on the highway, spend 5-10 minutes at the same engine speed, then downshift or speed up/slow down every 5-10 minutes so that you're not staying at one RPM.
  • Let the engine oil properly warm up before putting excessive loads on it (although this is good advice even beyond the break-in period)
  • Avoid high RPM's - it's OK on occasion when you need it, but don't make a habit out of it - there will be plenty of time for that later.
Is the above necessary? No, I've seen people take their brand new cars and drive it like they stole it from day one, and it lasted until they got rid of it 5 years later. The real difference is in the long term - if you're planning on keeping your car beyond the warranty period, might as well go easy on it during those first 500-1000 miles.

I also swap the oil out at 1000 miles and if I'm really up to it, will send a sample in to Blackstone Labs for analysis and change interval recommendations.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAK325 View Post
Obviously, most of us in the US haven't logged that many miles yet, so I've been focused mostly on a proper break-in of my vehicle.

The procedure cited by Jeep is pretty standard:

Owners of vehicles that get above-average gas milage for their model often attribute it to a proper break-in period. Does anyone else have any good break-in tips?
Followed this procedure, as closed as possible, on our 2015 Patriot. Engine now has 2500+ miles and never skips a beat. This 2.4 has a powerband around 3500-5000 rpm. I hope the 9 speed in the Renny is as quick and responsive as the 6 in this Patriot, Jeep might have a winning combination . Time will tell, fingers crossed.

2015 Patriot High Altitude, Wifeys
2001 XJ 71k sold!! It's a shame it was so dang crusty
1999 XJ 201k, 2" OME, SS Magnaflow exhaust, Banks header, 10" cubby sub w/400w RMS, Raptor lined composite floors w/100 sq ft of SecondSkin damp, 2x6 tube rockers, 30" BFG AT's, driven like I stole it for the last 125k
16' Renegade soon to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Love full synthetics . . . have been using them the full life of my Zuki Grand Vitara (2002, 187K miles) and the engine has never skipped a beat, nor burned a drop of oil. Totally plan on doing the same with the Renegade. But, what about this advice to go with a non-synthetic for a first change after breakin? Sounds like perhaps a good idea. And what's with the super low viscosity ratings. I'll be Out West this summer in 100 degree plus weather. Do y'all think I should put in the recommended viscosity?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page