Oil Type & Change Intervals - Page 3 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 14Likes

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter View Post
Why does high horsepower engines matter? I feel like the 1.4L engine is under more stress than a Corvette or Camaro engine, as those are 6.2L engines that produce about 73 horsepower per liter, and the Renegade produces about 114 horsepower per liter...
This is exactly right--the 1.4 turbo is producing 160 hp from a mere 1400 cc, which is the kind of power ratio I'm only used to seeing in sportbikes (most of which rev well past 10K rpm to make the big numbers--I'm amazed at the torque the Fiat engine produces).

As for metal shavings...isn't that what the oil filter is for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
The dealer told me I get 4 free oil changes through Jeep and that they expire 24 months from the purchase date. Why does high horsepower engines matter? I feel like the 1.4L engine is under more stress than a Corvette or Camaro engine, as those are 6.2L engines that produce about 73 horsepower per liter, and the Renegade produces about 114 horsepower per liter...
I understand your math, but these are commuter cars. If you want to burn a oil change that quickly more power to you. I would wait to at least 3K, but again 5K is ideal. I can easily clear 4 oil changes in 2 years at normal intervals, but that is me.

2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 ANVIL aka Jeepetto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepetto View Post
I understand your math, but these are commuter cars. If you want to burn a oil change that quickly more power to you. I would wait to at least 3K, but again 5K is ideal. I can easily clear 4 oil changes in 2 years at normal intervals, but that is me.
Yeah... I'm probably going to have less than 14,000 miles on my jeep at the 2 year mark. I have 3 cars and I live 2.4 miles from work, the extra miles that I'm factoring in come from driving across town to visit family and the occasional beach trip....I get four full synthetic oil changes - but they expire in 2 years. I don't have to change the oil but every 7,000-10,000 miles on one oil change. So I might as well burn an oil change in my highly boosted 22psi, 114bhp per liter economy car. This engine is under wayyy more stress than a typical engine. For example, a 2016 Lamborghini Aventador makes 106 hp per liter, and my Jeep is at 114 hp per liter stock... Add in the MaxPower module from madness autoworks, and now this 1.4L Jeep is making 135 hp per liter. Pure crazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Renegade Latitude 1.4T, 4x4
2016 Buick Enclave - wife's
2007 Nissan 350z - Track Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah... I'm probably going to have less than 14,000 miles on my jeep at the 2 year mark. I have 3 cars and I live 2.4 miles from work, the extra miles that I'm factoring in come from driving across town to visit family and the occasional beach trip....I get four full synthetic oil changes - but they expire in 2 years. I don't have to change the oil but every 7,000-10,000 miles on one oil change. So I might as well burn an oil change in my highly boosted 22psi, 114bhp per liter economy car. This engine is under wayyy more stress than a typical engine. For example, a 2016 Lamborghini Aventador makes 106 hp per liter, and my Jeep is at 114 hp per liter stock... Add in the MaxPower module from madness autoworks, and now this 1.4L Jeep is making 135 hp per liter. Pure crazy.

now question i have is doesn't a lambo weight alot less then the renegade so its safe to assume that the engine on the lambo does not excert itself due to the car weight being low and again a lambo is 12 cylinder compare to the renegade. with that said if the lambo engine placed in a renegade with the weight of the renegade we can surmised that it too would be under stress no? i am not sure i am making sense here but just my two cents.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capikoo View Post
now question i have is doesn't a lambo weight alot less then the renegade so its safe to assume that the engine on the lambo does not excert itself due to the car weight being low and again a lambo is 12 cylinder compare to the renegade. with that said if the lambo engine placed in a renegade with the weight of the renegade we can surmised that it too would be under stress no? i am not sure i am making sense here but just my two cents.
First of all the Lambo weighs a lot MORE than the Renegade, and the engine only exerts much force as you tell it to, by pushing the gas pedal, and yes an underpowered engine is going to have to work harder to push a heavier car. However, You seem a bit new to cars in general... and searching the internet for facts before you post anything is also a good idea....because any Lamborghini Aventador weighs over 4,000 lbs. The Jeep Renegade with with 1.4L weighs less than 3100 lbs. - that is about 900 pounds LESS than the Lambo. And on top of all that, the weight still has nothing to do with the compression ratio, level of boost or bhp/liter or why you should change your oil early on the first oil change.

2016 Renegade Latitude 1.4T, 4x4
2016 Buick Enclave - wife's
2007 Nissan 350z - Track Car

Last edited by The Drifter; 07-22-2016 at 01:59 PM.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:33 PM

First Name: Mike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This is exactly right--the 1.4 turbo is producing 160 hp from a mere 1400 cc, which is the kind of power ratio I'm only used to seeing in sportbikes (most of which rev well past 10K rpm to make the big numbers--I'm amazed at the torque the Fiat engine produces).

As for metal shavings...isn't that what the oil filter is for?
My 2.4 uses 0W-20 but your 1.4 turbo asks for European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic Motor Oil?

Thats the same oil I use in my Mercedes Benz CLA250 2.0 turbo 4cyl.

I go 10k-12k on the MB due to direct injection. Does the Jeep have that too?

Michael G. Referral #1339879

Amsoil Independent Dealer JustSynthetic.com

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:37 PM

First Name: Mike
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey no matter what do it every year, it comes down to how well the additives last and fuel dilution due to short commutes. But yes get JustSynthetic and all is well!

Michael G. Referral #1339879

Amsoil Independent Dealer JustSynthetic.com

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
I now plan on doing it myself (changing the oil and oil filter) every 5K miles as close to the mark as I can. Save the dealership expeditions for the quirk checks, flash updates, and any major issue(s). Anything involving a hoist goes to the dealer.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Coming up on 20000 miles in my Trailhawk, just completed my forth oil change.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSynthetic.com View Post
Thats the same oil I use in my Mercedes Benz CLA250 2.0 turbo 4cyl.

I go 10k-12k on the MB due to direct injection. Does the Jeep have that too?
Same oil spec probably has to do with the turboecharger, which gets hot but stilll needs to be kept well lubricated. No direct injection--AFAIK the Renegade engine uses port injection, which requires a less sophisticated injection system. I doubt the injection system has much to do with the oil requirement.
JustSynthetic.com likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page