How long does it take for dealer to do computer updates? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How long does it take for dealer to do computer updates?

Yesterday at 8000 miles, I took my Renegade for its appointment at the dealer for its first oil change, tire rotation, and software updates. It took them two hours to do the oil change and tire rotation. They said it needed nine software updates, it would take another two hours + to do those, and I needed to come back. How long does it actually take to do software updates? After they took two hours just to do something Snappy Lube would have done in 30 minutes, should I just bring my sleeping bag and tent and plan on spending the night? ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
If they haven't done a renegade before, and your vehicle is of a certain vintage regarding manufacture date, it can take way longer than it should.

If they are good to go, probably about two hours. The plus is for if it fails or they have fewer units available than vehicles being flashed.
repete7 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
My dealer wants it for the day for software updates. I have been through this cycle a couple times. I'd say from a couple to many hours is the range.

My first oil change took a very long time. I was on the road and hit a dealer in the LA area. It was the first Renegade Trailhawk they had seen, so they had to learn about skid plate removal and all. It took a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Mine was dropped off today at 1110, and they contacted me at 1500 to say it was ready. How long they were actually working on it I have no idea.
They gave me the impression that it takes about an hour, but to allow 2-3 in case they hit a snag.

Renegade Limited 2.0 4x4 Granite Crystal - March 2016
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:48 PM

First Name: Clifton
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't see any reason it should take 2 hours to rotate tires and change oil. I hour, maybe for the first time.
They are not that different from any other vehicle. Updates are a different story though.

That said it took two hours time for me to get a oil change at my dealer, don't know how long they actually worked on it.

Clifton
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:55 PM

First Name: Dennis
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Garage
I had just an oil change and tire rotation done in 45 minutes at my dealer once. Last time they also did 2 software updates (PCM and ECM) that took over 2 hours to do, a little over 3 hours in all counting oil change and rotation. Software updates can take some time.

2015 Renegade Latitude - Sierra Blue
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

It took them 5 1/2 hours to do the updates. I wish I could just drop it off, but I live an hour away. sigh.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete7 View Post
I wish I could just drop it off, but I live an hour away. sigh.
I live an hour from my nearest dealership too.
Left the car with them, jumped on a train, had 5 hours away, then got the train back, to pick up my car just before they closed. Worked a treat.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
I live an hour from my nearest dealership too.
Left the car with them, jumped on a train, had 5 hours away, then got the train back, to pick up my car just before they closed. Worked a treat.
Trains are nice, not enough people in the rural US where I live to be practical.

There is actually a dealer only 30 minutes drive from my house, but I wouldn't let them touch my car, not even on a bet.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 05:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete7 View Post
There is actually a dealer only 30 minutes drive from my house, but I wouldn't let them touch my car, not even on a bet.

Funny that you say that, as the dealership that I used to do the software update is the one that I opted not to buy from. I couldn't be bothered with the 3.5 hour drive (each way!) from the dealership that I bought from.
Fortunately for me, where I did take the car has vastly improved and I was genuinely impressed. I would definitely use them again. However, rumour has it, that my nearest City may soon get a Jeep dealership (fingers crossed!)

repete7 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page