Anti Freeze Slowly Disappearing. - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anti Freeze Slowly Disappearing.

I have a 2017 Jeep with the 2.4 in it with about 18,000 miles. I have noticed the antifreeze is ever so slowly going down. I will need to add soon as the plastic fill container is now almost empty. This has been happening sense it was bought. As I said a very slow leak or evaporation. I didnít pay much attention to it at first because it will vary some with temperature but now I am certain. I looked very closely for any external leaks and canít find one. Now I fear it is internal. Question I have is, is this normal for the level to change over a long period of time? Other vehicles I have had, I never had to add. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have not had this problem In my 2018 Latitude. If it is internal i would check the oil and see if its milky looking just to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have just over 12,000 miles on my 2017 2.4. Had to buy antifreeze and add some as it was slowly getting lower. I have checked the oil dipstick and see NO milky substance...also no leaks on the cement, on the engine or anywhere...I will just keep checking as I do the oil ever so often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
You both have leaks. Check the hose connections for weeping. Especially on the header tank.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
My wife's 2005 Jeep Liberty does that from time to time, always has. Granted, it now has over 260,000 miles on the original engine but it does not burn one drop of oil and has never left her stranded. I went through the "why ?" phase with hers, could never find out why except for one time I didn't have the cap on the bottle fully tight.

There is no rhyme or reason why it drops, it can go 10 months or more at full, the one day it'll be half empty. She travels the same route to work every day, no heavy traffic as she leaves at 0-dark-30 each morning. No staining in our driveway, no coolant smell when you pop the hood, it's just GONE. I replaced the cap on the bottle with a new OEM, made no difference. It never overheats, gauge never gets above normal, the bottle is just low.

Since that is the only "issue" whatsoever with that vehicle, and I mean the ONLY ISSUE, I just keep tabs on it. More so now that I own a Renegade; I have to check my oil weekly due to the "David Copperfield Effect" of oil in these infamous engines, so I incorporated checking her coolant at the same time.

A little advice though. In your Renegade, DO NOT pour in regular off-the-shelf green antifreeze. It's not the same as what's in your cooling system. Sure, the bottle will say "compatible with all types of antifreeze", but DON'T. Mixing types of antifreeze can actually gel in your system, something you don't want. For a little top-off, use distilled water, never regular tap water. Bite the bullet and pay the insanely high price for a gallon jug of the right stuff from the dealer. It'll hurt your butt a tad for a bit, but it's cheaper than replacing the engine or cooling system because you wanted to save a couple bucks on a gallon of coolant.

Others may chime in saying "you don't have to use...", "you can use this instead" "don't pay dealer prices" "you're foolish to believe that 'special coolant' line", etc. or any of the numerous paranoid conspiracy theories people have about using factory/dealer parts, but I don't pay them any attention. I'm way too old to play the "they said use this, but I used that, and I saved XX dollars !! Neener-neener !" game. I use what the factory says thereby you can't go wrong. If something does happen, they have no argument. You used THEIR product, your purchase is in their computer. That alone is worth the couple extra bucks.
CRZY4x4, rsanges and dgr401 like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:59 AM

First Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filips View Post
I have a 2017 Jeep with the 2.4 in it with about 18,000 miles. I have noticed the antifreeze is ever so slowly going down. I will need to add soon as the plastic fill container is now almost empty. This has been happening sense it was bought. As I said a very slow leak or evaporation. I didnít pay much attention to it at first because it will vary some with temperature but now I am certain. I looked very closely for any external leaks and canít find one. Now I fear it is internal. Question I have is, is this normal for the level to change over a long period of time? Other vehicles I have had, I never had to add. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
It should be covered under warranty take it back to the dealer. Have them note it, even if they cant find a leak.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenman.us View Post
It should be covered under warranty take it back to the dealer. Have them note it, even if they cant find a leak.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Slow coolant loss covered under warranty??!! The warranty doesn't cover engine oil feed-and-bleed rates of loss. Do you think a little bit of coolant weeping out somewhere will be covered? I doubt it.
I'm with Mud Pie. Monitor it. Add distilled water. If you add more than about a half-gallon of water start mixing in the correct coolant.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Pie View Post
My wife's 2005 Jeep Liberty does that from time to time, always has. Granted, it now has over 260,000 miles on the original engine but it does not burn one drop of oil and has never left her stranded. I went through the "why ?" phase with hers, could never find out why except for one time I didn't have the cap on the bottle fully tight.

There is no rhyme or reason why it drops, it can go 10 months or more at full, the one day it'll be half empty. She travels the same route to work every day, no heavy traffic as she leaves at 0-dark-30 each morning. No staining in our driveway, no coolant smell when you pop the hood, it's just GONE. I replaced the cap on the bottle with a new OEM, made no difference. It never overheats, gauge never gets above normal, the bottle is just low.

Since that is the only "issue" whatsoever with that vehicle, and I mean the ONLY ISSUE, I just keep tabs on it. More so now that I own a Renegade; I have to check my oil weekly due to the "David Copperfield Effect" of oil in these infamous engines, so I incorporated checking her coolant at the same time.

A little advice though. In your Renegade, DO NOT pour in regular off-the-shelf green antifreeze. It's not the same as what's in your cooling system. Sure, the bottle will say "compatible with all types of antifreeze", but DON'T. Mixing types of antifreeze can actually gel in your system, something you don't want. For a little top-off, use distilled water, never regular tap water. Bite the bullet and pay the insanely high price for a gallon jug of the right stuff from the dealer. It'll hurt your butt a tad for a bit, but it's cheaper than replacing the engine or cooling system because you wanted to save a couple bucks on a gallon of coolant.

Others may chime in saying "you don't have to use...", "you can use this instead" "don't pay dealer prices" "you're foolish to believe that 'special coolant' line", etc. or any of the numerous paranoid conspiracy theories people have about using factory/dealer parts, but I don't pay them any attention. I'm way too old to play the "they said use this, but I used that, and I saved XX dollars !! Neener-neener !" game. I use what the factory says thereby you can't go wrong. If something does happen, they have no argument. You used THEIR product, your purchase is in their computer. That alone is worth the couple extra bucks.

@mud pie is absolutely correct!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for the quick reply's.

Just to add a few more things. The oil is perfectly clean or it at least looks like it on the dip stick. I have had no real issues with this Jeep Renegade other than it burned a lot of oil when new. The oil burning issue has slowed to the point where it will just be on the add (dip stick) mark when it is time to change it, which will be about 1 quart in 7500 miles. It's a bit disappointing but acceptable now. Other then that i have been petty happy so far. I like the idea of taking it to the dealer and making sure they note the loss of anti freeze while it is still under warranty. Does anyone know it the factory warranty for the power train is 3 year 36,000 or 5 year 50,000.

Thanks
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filips View Post
Thanks to all of you for the quick reply's.

Just to add a few more things. The oil is perfectly clean or it at least looks like it on the dip stick. I have had no real issues with this Jeep Renegade other than it burned a lot of oil when new. The oil burning issue has slowed to the point where it will just be on the add (dip stick) mark when it is time to change it, which will be about 1 quart in 7500 miles. It's a bit disappointing but acceptable now. Other then that i have been petty happy so far. I like the idea of taking it to the dealer and making sure they note the loss of anti freeze while it is still under warranty. Does anyone know it the factory warranty for the power train is 3 year 36,000 or 5 year 50,000.

Thanks

5 years or 100k miles whichever comes first. Glad itís not a bad head gasket or cracked engine. Iíve only put on 2.6k but love it wish i couldíve afforded the TH but beggars canít be choosers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page