80Likes

post #541 of 543 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Grinding/vibration/rumble Noise at ~30mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz-0 View Post
I'd have to see what you are talking about, but I don't think it's broken, just the 9 speed and the firmware fixes to avoid certain problems. For fuel economy, it will try ot get to 5th as soon as possible. Because the 4-5 shift is one of the ones with a dog clutch, it takes longer. Based on owner complaints some things were changed about the firmware's shifting strategy. A couple of things that it definitely does differently now is if it detects deceleration, it avoids a downshift for longer, especially the longer shifts that involve a dog clutch, so that you are at least in a gear if you get back on the throttle. It'll also hold gears longer before upshift under certain conditions compared to early revisions.

In general, it has always been willing to get into the area of lugging the engine to hit the right numbers for fuel efficiency. I suspect owners would be happier if they just bumped up the target cruising rpms a bit and avoid getting into that near lugging zone. But I suspect that would worsen their problems with the EPA.

Never said anything was broken. When I get to a speed change of say 55-65 to 35-40 sometimes it hangs in 5th and i get this rumble/growl and slight vibration through the pedals when I start hitting the gas again. I pull the shifter to Manual and drop the gear to 4th and problem solved. 30-35 is too low of a speed for 5th to be engaged and get slow gears or some mismatch I think.

I need to pay attention to the RPM i know the needle was below 1500 when this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RoninCrowley; 08-06-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 543 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninCrowley View Post
Never said anything was broken. When I get to a speed change of say 55-65 to 35-40 sometimes it hangs in 5th and i get this rumble/growl and slight vibration through the pedals when I start hitting the gas again. I pull the shifter to Manual and drop the gear to 4th and problem solved. 30-35 is too low of a speed for 5th to be engaged and get slow gears or some mismatch I think.

I need to pay attention to the RPM i know the needle was below 1500 when this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah, it targets ~1250rpm. This tangent should probably be taken to one of the transmission threads on 9 speed shifting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #543 of 543 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Brought my 2017 Renegade Latitude 1.4T Manual in with 9,000 to have a front suspension rattle checked under warranty (they replaced both front stabilizer links under warranty, all good now, they say its common, also with the Compass) and since it was in I asked them to check the drivetrain rumble. Picked up car, they said (exactly as on paperwork) "No droan heard, only slight tire noise". Now, I didn't expect them to be able to fix it, though was hoping for a firmware flash (they said none was available) but to say they was no noise other than tire noise? The rumble is many times louder than any tire noise, and it happens every single time you hit that target speed. So I offered to take him out in it and demonstrate the noise, because its impossible not to hear it. At that time he said (which isn't on the paperwork of course) "let me rephrase my response" which was "we didn't hear anything we don't expect to hear, other than tire noise", and thus the noise is "normal". Its one thing to say you hear it and claim its normal, its another to try and deny there is a noise. But conveniently they refuse to change what the paperwork says, which says there is no noise. And then I get in my car, which had all accessories including the fan turned off when I dropped it off. The fan was on full blast, which you can't hear anything when its on full blast. Makes me wonder that if the service tech does that to keep an honest face to say he didn't hear anything when he writes that on the paperwork. After this amount of time I doubt a fix will be coming. But I will continue to monitor posts in case one does show up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List
OBXMan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page