Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Bluetooth call quality

30K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Mud Pie 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced call quality when making calls via Bluetooth/UConnect? I can hear the caller fine but everyone, and I mean EVERYONE I call complains about the wind/background noise they hear on their end. My husband said it sounds like the speaker is in the wheel well. It's really embarrassing when trying to make business calls hands free and the caller can't hear you. The Jeep dealer did an update a month ago but it didn't solve any of the sound issues my callers hear. So frustrated!

#8 ·
I believe the below TSB is what raz-0 is referring to.

TSB 08-062-15 REV. C

SUBJECT:
RA2, RG2 Radio Software Enhancements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves updating the radio software.

MODELS:
2015 (BU) Jeep Renegade

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA and EMEA.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before August 07, 2015 (MDH 0807XX) equipped with UConnect 5.0 AM/FM/BT (sales code RA2).

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before August 23, 2015 (MDH 0823XX) equipped with UConnect 5.0 AM/FM/BT (sales code RG2).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may notice that blue tooth communication with the passenger is poor. If a passenger is trying to talk on the blue tooth phone, the caller will have a hard time understanding what the passenger is saying. The caller will not have any difficulty understanding the person in the driver’s seat. Additionally a false message may be displayed in the Cluster; Parking Sensors Unavailable and/or Sound System Unavailable.

#10 ·
I have an iPhone 6 and it usually resides right under the fan temp dials when I'm driving. Windows always up and fans turned down and still sounds terrible to the person I'm calling. On my end it sounds great but they can't understand half of what I'm saying. I get that it's a call in a moving vehicle and I don't expect crystal clear quality but it would be cool if the person I'm talking to could hear me.

#11 ·
tbug01, I have had the same issue. I have a 6+ and my wife says it sounds like the window is open and she can barely hear me. She sounds fine on my end. Something is not right. I have downloaded and installed the update, but nothing has changed. Is it possible that this is due to Apple's Bluetooth technology vs. others? Has anyone come up with a solution?

#15 ·
FWIW, when I was at my dealer getting an oil change and mentioned an issue I was having with the radio not reading the most recent text message but repeatedly reading the same one over and over again each time I got a new message, the service manager asked me if I had an iPhone because "iPhones don't work with the UConnect."

#14 · (Edited)
BT call quality is extremely good in mine. Ofcourse I have the windows all the way up and the A/C turned off.
Also the BT connectivity is excellent. Never had issues with disconnections etc.
My phone is the Sony Xperia Z3c.

P.S.: Android FTW... :p

#16 ·
Phone model and compatibility is very important in a lot of these cases. I haven't found a list of compatibility for the Renegade published anywhere but I am sure we can build one quick with the users on the forum here.

I have only had my Renegade a few days but made a few test calls and tested transfer to and from the phone from the bluetooth without any issues. Tested it with my dad the other day who is very hard of hearing and it worked awesome with him. He couldn't even tell I was driving.

I am currently using a Nexus 6p running Android 6.0.1.
I keep the messaging option disabled since I have phone and watch side apps to deal with those when I am driving. I only use the Bluetooth for Media audio, phone audio, and contact sharing so I can make calls from the touch interface on the UConnect 5 screen. But I mostly use "ok Google" voice interface to do most voice activation work since it so much better than the internal car stuff.

For Iphone users
Not sure if you have options on iphone to turn off and on what the bluetooth connection is used for but you might want to disable the messaging connection since that is not supported on iPhone (clearly stated in the owners manual). Also you want to make sure you always disable things you don't use. If you are only wanting to receive calls, disable the contact sharing and media audio, this allows services on the phones to be less taxed and you might have better luck with phone audio connections.

Disabling noise reduction settings on the phone seems to help a lot with some Bluetooth connections as well. The bluetooth device, the Reneagde in this case, is doing its own noise reduction work, if you phone is trying to do it as well you can run in to issues where words are clipped at the beginning or ends. Most Android Phone apps hand off the handling of to the Bluetooth device and disable the local ambient noise mics. If you use use a custom phone app or manufacture supplied phone app you might try the default Google built phone app to see if that solves bluetooth connection issues.

Just a few opinions and thoughts from a technology guy.

#18 ·
It looks like no-one has griped about this recently. Have they fixed this on newer models? I've a 2015 and the BT call clarity is great when I'm parked, but the person on the other end can't hear me hardly at all when my Beep is moving. Makes me wonder where exactly they put the microphone.....

#19 ·
I took my Jeep in because everyone I talk to via the Jeep's BT connection won't stop complaining. The service tech made the updates. When he called me, he sounded okay, not perfect, but okay. However, now I'm still having the issue. When I talk to anyone, they ask that I call them later because I "sound like an alien" or "there's too much noise" or "they think I have a really bad connection." My mother, who is elderly, pauses and won't answer me when I speak to her during a call from the Jeep. I think she assumes that I'm in the center of the apocalypse. Seriously, isn't there SOMETHING that can be done? The software updates don't work.

#20 ·
OK, a simple question for folks having this problem.

How tall are you?

Also, do you have options that cause things to be installed in the gray pod behind the mirror?

I get exceptional call quality from my '15, and have since day one. No complaints, and a couple comments that it sounds really good for an in car system. But...

1) I'm tall, and the mic is up by the reading lamps above the rear view mirror. So I'm pretty close to it, and likely provide a good case for the noise canceling algorithm by being closer than sources of road noise.

2) I have no fancy options. My gray box has nothing but a rain sensor. No CPUs, no CPU wiring, none of the RF interference that can go with both of those.

#21 ·
Hey! Thank you for responding so quickly.
I'm about 5'5" or 5'6"

I have a Renegade Limited. Is there any way to tell exactly where the microphones are?
I don't have any fancy options either. I just got my Jeep in December, used and I love everything else about it except this.

Does it make a difference that I have the removable panels in the roof?

I'd LOOOOOVE to solve this issue. I drive a lot and none of my friends want to talk to me when I'm in the Jeep. :(

#28 ·
I know iPhone fanboys will contest this, but my experience has been that those that have bitten the apple never had good connection with bluetooth...unless you are connecting to another Apple product. I have a few co-workers that love Apple, but when they use their speakerphone to talk, it sounds like they are talking through a paper towel cardboard tube. Connecting through their vehicles isn't any better.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and when I'm in my Jeep, people are shocked when I say I'm driving because it's so clear and quiet. But I have all my windows up, fan is either off or on step 1 or 2. Clarity is so clear that they say they can hear my turn signal clicking when I change lanes.

It may not be your vehicle but your choice of phones. If you can, pair a friends phone, preferably a non-Apple, to your Jeep and test it.

#29 ·
I've been using iphones for years. If your friends are having issues with BT connections, it's not the hardware, it's the operator. The closest you will find to incompatibility is some fly by night chinese BT speakers/headphones where they pay the license for aptX, but not AAC. In that case, the apple product just has lower grade audio, and the difference is not night and day. In fact given the nature of audio perception, most people would probably not be able to perceive the difference in AB testing.

My use of an iphone with the 5" head unit is similar to yours, and I use it the same way. Windows up, fan between off and 2nd notch.

#32 ·
I'm fairly tall (6 Foot), and I still find that I have to speak directly at the rear view mirror for people to hear me clearly. You're right @MTrenegade, it seems like the microphone is not that sensitive.

#33 ·
Agreed. I have a 2019 Renegade Sport and if I turn my head to change lanes or do not tilt my head up towards the mics, the end user cannot hear me. I CONSTANTLY get "I can't hear you." or "You sound like you're under water." Called my dealership and they said they have no one complain about it.

#35 ·
Ironically, I always get the question, "Where are you ?" and when I say, "Driving down the road, why ?" I get, "Sounds like you're sitting at home.".

My boss once accused me of still being at home instead en route to a job. I had to lower my window and beep my horn as proof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.