TRACTION CONTROL comes on and engine loses power - Jeep Renegade Forum
 40Likes

post #1 of 224 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Exclamation TRACTION CONTROL comes on and engine loses power

While turning slightly right to merge onto southbound traffic from eastbound at an intersection, I gave some throttle to accelerate from the turn and suddenly the traction control light comes on and I lose throttle control.
The Renegade was still running but all power was cut from the wheels for about 5-10 seconds until traction light came off.
I have no idea what happened, no slippery or sandy surface. Good thing no one was behind me because the loss of forward momentum was pretty serious.

Brand new Jeep Renegade '16 Dawn of Justice edition with only 400 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:20 PM

First Name: Jason
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've had this happen to me twice now. Once was rolling through a stop sign and making about an 80 degree left hand turn. The second was a quick turn onto a road, again, a sharp turn. Same result as the OP, traction control light flashed a few times, power to the axles felt cut out for a second or two, then the light went out and power to the driveline was restored.

Coincidentally, I read on here, in another thread where a guy had his vehicle seemingly go "dead" when making U-turns a few times. I'm now wondering if it was the same issue.

I'm not sure if it's turning too sharply while the wheels are moving in a certain direction , and that extra force on them makes the system "feel" like there is some slippage perhaps? I don't know...

I may try driving with the traction control turned off for a while and see if it prevents it from happening again.
post #3 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:47 PM

First Name: Peter
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Driving with traction control off is not a great idea. Just my 2c. If its acting up take it to the stealership. Much safer.
Markn06074 and jimmylee702 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 02:48 PM

First Name: Jason
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochachoka View Post
Driving with traction control off is not a great idea. Just my 2c. If its acting up take it to the stealership. Much safer.

I agree, if it's acting up, it will go to the dealer. However, I want to drive with the TC turned off to see if the problem still exists. I don't think driving with it off on dry pavement would be a bad thing... I've driven cars most of my life that never had it, so shouldn't be a big deal...

Mainly, I was just curious if anyone else had experienced it. Apparently, two of us have so far...
post #5 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have the same problem happen to me several times. Always on sharp turns at speed. TCS blinks on the dash, was wondering if this was an issue or not ?
LittleTreeGuy likes this.
post #6 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
I suspect it may be multiple things going on.

1) hard turns, open diff up front in the transaxle, combine these with romping on the gas hard, and you will try to spin the outside front wheel, even in an 80hp car (I know, becuase I've done it regularly in an 80hp FWD car).

2) Slipping wheels activating traction control isn't an unexpected thing.

So, I suspect there is an additional element contributing to it, like it's strategy rather than applying abs to the wheel is to reduce throttle input, and it does so after the TCU has used that throttle input to make a decision about how to shift, and now you have to get to the other side of being at really wrong RPMs for the gear you were shifting to and having to shift again immediately.

I'm also curious if the people having the problems are driving trailhawks or something else. Because I've set of TC, but not really with those results It seems to do the right thing. However the TH also has, in theory, some different software logic for left right torque split to the rear wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
I bet it is not the Traction control but the Electronic Skid Protection. Imagine the dynamics of the vehicle when doign a uturn w/ any momentum. I bet the ESC thinks the vehicle is tipping and cuts the power to the engine to make sure it does not tip. Now in reality this shouldn't happen when doing a uturn, but if you happen to lose control on rainy highway, it knows to try and correct the sideways movement of the vehicle with brakes and cutting engine power from the drive train.

See my post on turning off the entire TC and ESC controls and go do some u-turns. see if it cuts power etc etc

2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 ANVIL aka Jeepetto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Some of the turns I make are not extremely harsh. I'm talking 25-35 MPH at most. Most of the time it is turning left (90 degree) against on coming traffic where you need to go give it a little gas to get across the intersection. I'm more curios if this is a problem and I need to go back to the dealership. My dealership is liking talking to a wall nothing gets done if I have a problem.
King1679 likes this.

2015 Jeep Renegade Sport 4x4 Mysky

West Virginia
post #9 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Mine has done the same thing a few times, always when turning left. It is the traction control, not the ESP. I think the TC system sees the outer front wheel spinning faster than the other three and believes it is slipping. Hasn't happened in a few weeks.
post #10 of 224 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I've recently had this happening on my vehicle. It happened to me while going completely straight down my street at 25 mph the other day. This is a new issue for me since getting renegade back from the dealership 4/4.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List