Radiator Cooling fan issue THREAD - Page 19 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 30Likes

post #181 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
Mine started audibly shaking today. Tried calling the dealer but couldn't get a hold of anyone, probably because it is lunch time, I'll check back in an hour or so.

This is covered by the warranty, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:26 PM

Garage
After reading the rest of the thread, yes it is covered if you are under 36k miles, which I am by 14k miles. I hope they have it in stock.
post #183 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:20 AM

Garage
Went to the dealer this morning. Service tech listened to me, said he's had two more before. Took it in no questions asked. He said the warranty will cover it. That he will check if they have the new cooling fan in stock and swap it today. If not, then he said they would locate one as soon as possible.

I went ahead and also asked him to get the 20 k mile maintenance done: brake fluid flush, brake pad inspection and change if necessary, cabin air filter replacement, and oil and filter change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I know this is no comfort to those suffering from what I'm calling FFF, "The F**ked Fan Fiasco", but after reading all this, I went out to look at the fan on my new-to-me 2017 Latitude.

With MUCH trepidation, I raised my hood. It appears I have the new fan assembly. Metal plate on back, decent gauge wiring, no death rattle. Of course the dealer cleaned the bejesus out of the engine bay, so everything looks brand new. I'm not sure if mine is original or replacement.

Reason for my post: Is there a website or somewhere I can go to see what exactly has been done to this vehicle ? Mine was an Avis rental from birth, I'm 2nd owner, I would assume it would go to the dealer for anything under their Fleet program. When I got it, it had zero running issues, good body and paint, etc.. It looked brand new and still had residual new car smell. In fact, the first small dent occurred a week after I took delivery. Good ol' Houston drivers...

It would be nice to know what was done, or not done, since this Jeep took it's boat ride from Italy.
post #185 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdamnyall View Post
I haven't had a chance to look at it but anyone have any suggestions? It appears its either off balance or coming loose.

Fan Rattle

Yes, I just had this issue Saturday, Jeep starts overheating, smoke pouring out of the hood. I let it cool down then drove very carefully to the dealership. They replaced the fan and the fan fuse was also bad. 30k miles and this happens, unacceptable really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #186 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 AM

Garage
They replaced mine on Monday with the new fan with the metal plate backing. Mine never overheated. I caught it early. The warranty took care of it and the problem was solved. I feel I spent too much on the brake fluid, synth oil and filter, and cabin filter. Once the warranty expires, I'm doing my own maintenance.
post #187 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another one with this problem. Throwing these codes:

PCM P0481 "cooling fan 2 control circuit"
DTCM C250264 "Status_eCM TCFailSts"

There's a bulletin that says with these two codes the fan module is calling the other code.

Apparently because I have 39k and not 36k it won't be covered under warranty. $541.13 estimate.
post #188 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickwack View Post

There's a bulletin that says with these two codes the fan module is calling the other code.

Apparently because I have 39k and not 36k it won't be covered under warranty. $541.13 estimate.
Hey wickwack. I'm sorry to hear about your Renegade's cooling fan. Did you end up having to pay the $541.13? Where are you based out of?

Last edited by JAbetti; 01-16-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #189 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickwack View Post

I was in the same boat. Mine cost $650 to replace. Clearly it is a fan issue as these fans are going out for some vehicles under 20k miles. But if it is after 36k it is general wear and tear and must be replaced by the owner... Argued with Jeep about this and got no where.

Supposedly there is a class action law suit that is in the process of settling for this issue but I've not seen any updates to it or know how to get involved.

Currently in: 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk

Previously in: 2012 Scion FRS
post #190 of 216 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darb1177 View Post
I was in the same boat. Mine cost $650 to replace. Clearly it is a fan issue as these fans are going out for some vehicles under 20k miles. But if it is after 36k it is general wear and tear and must be replaced by the owner.
It 100% isn't wear and tear. The evidence is that this is a REDESIGNED fan. It sounds like everyone is going to hit this issue, it's just a matter of WHEN and it very well could leave you stranded with a Jeep that can't cool itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAbetti View Post
Hey wickwack. I'm sorry to hear about your Renegade's cooling fan. Did you end up having to pay the $541.13? Where are you based out of?
Yes, paid that full amount.

Called Jeep customer service many times about making an exception for the warranty, 4 times they were supposed to call me back yet they wouldn't. Finally I got a "no" but no reason why.

I had the work done at Southpoint Dodge Jeep in Austin Texas - they thought that it could be covered under warranty because I was so close in mileage but they made it sound like if I had bought the Jeep from them and had been using then they would have been more likely to help me.

I feel like if a part is bad because of a faulty DESIGN and fails with so few miles that it shouldn't be my responsibility. If it's worn out through usage sure it's on me.

I also had them reflash the transmission, mine shifts HARD especially shifting from park to reverse and when it downshifts into 2nd. This is a loud CLUNK sound that others have experienced - also mine is just weird. Like sometimes I'll be cruising flat at 85 mph and it's in 7th gear (when it clearly should be in 9). Other times I'm 60 and it's in 9th and clearly lugging the engine. New software didn't help at all.

Dealer originally said tranmission issues were due to fan - which makes zero sense because even if the cooling system isn't operating correctly (mine still was and wouldn't get above 205F) it won't cause a transmissions to shift hard

Also - with the new fan it doesn't kick on until 215F, old one was 200F. Many cars use ~200 for low and 215 or so for high - not sure why this new fan wants to let the coolant run hotter than most cars.

Honestly, I love this trailhawk and had a blast out in Big Bend with it. It really does a good job in 4wd but is also great on the highway. But I want some thing that is mechanically sound and I hate this transmission and worry about failing like others have experienced.

I was thinking of getting into a Wrangler but these issues have cause me to think twice about the Jeep brand overall. Maybe it's these Italian made cars are lesser quality than the US made.

Last edited by wickwack; 01-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page