34Likes

post #201 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
Class action lawsuit for the Renegade Cooling Fan was filed on Feb 11 2019 in the IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF MICHIGAN.
Google::: Case 2:19-cv-10417-NGE-EAS ::: to read the filing
My NHTSA filing I made last year is being used in the class action lawsuit. Thank you for posting this it will be interesting to follow.
RevEng likes this.

Currently in: 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk

Previously in: 2012 Scion FRS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If your fan wobbles that means the fan motor is bad. Have it checked asap before you overheat. It seems like the rear motor lube dried up an caused the bushing to wear an oval shaped hole. I posted a prevention for this problem but I cannot prove that will work. Mine has 35000 miles no problem. So I am still racking up miles. 700 miles just last week alone. We'll see.
rsanges likes this.
post #203 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevEng View Post
If your fan wobbles that means the fan motor is bad. Have it checked asap before you overheat. It seems like the rear motor lube dried up an caused the bushing to wear an oval shaped hole. I posted a prevention for this problem but I cannot prove that will work. Mine has 35000 miles no problem. So I am still racking up miles. 700 miles just last week alone. We'll see.
You are 1,000 miles away from losing your warranty. Rather than wait to see if your lube solution works, I would go to the dealer and get the new fan motor assembly under warranty. I would hate to have to shell out money for that when it could be had for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeOfFunk View Post
You are 1,000 miles away from losing your warranty. Rather than wait to see if your lube solution works, I would go to the dealer and get the new fan motor assembly under warranty. I would hate to have to shell out money for that when it could be had for free.
That would be wishful thinking that the dealer would replace a working (and modified) part preemptively under warranty. Even if it was not modified... good luck with that.
I'm not saying I wouldn't like the world to work that way, but it doesn't.
post #205 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I would HIGHLY suggest anyone under original warranty that has not had this issue yet NOT modify their fan. This would void warranty. Instead I would take it in and let them know the fan has been making sounds and sporadically wobbling. This is the first indicator the fan is beginning to fail and enough to get the fan replaced under warranty... Especially with JeepCares help if needed.

Currently in: 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk

Previously in: 2012 Scion FRS
post #206 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:44 PM

Fortunately I am not experiencing any problem with my fan. I always check it before I go on a long trip (with engine cold). No wobble no play on my fan motor yet. We'll see if my fan motor will go bad before 100 k miles. I will keep you guys posted if there's any change in the fan operation/performance.

Yes and I have to agree that if you are experiencing any problems with your fan to see the dealer right away. Don't wait til the problem gets big. Any sign of fan problem is serious since this is a known problem. I'm sure the dealers know about this.
Better be safe than sorry. Better to let the service manager know that it is a known problem and if they fail to take action they could be in big trouble.

Me, I like to experiment and I have all the tools and ability to fix most problems on any of my vehicles. I am even thinking of buying a new fan assy so I can disect it to see how I can re-engineer it to make it better. I have some ideas. The part is not that expensive.
rsanges likes this.
post #207 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:06 PM

This is good to know. Finally a class action suit has been filed to cure the problem.

This should affect owners of Fiat 500x which uses the same fan assembly also.
post #208 of 241 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello,

I am curious to know with this specific issue when you are at a complete stop, will you feel excessive vibration? Is this one of the warning signs of a fan issue? I realize especially when my AC unit is on and I am at a complete stop my 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude vibrates excessively. Thanks.
post #209 of 241 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello,

I am curious to understand more about the fan issue. When I am at a complete stop and the vehicle is in the drive gear, my vehicle vibrates excessively. Is this excessive vibration from the fan. I own the 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude and have had this issue since I can remember, but it never bothered me until my wife kept asking me if it was normal. The vehicle makes this vibration with AC, heat, and even when those components are not on. I realize if I put the vehicle in Neutral gear it stops the vibration. Again, I am curious to know if this has any relation to the fan issue. Thanks.
post #210 of 241 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by see1986 View Post
Hello,

I am curious to understand more about the fan issue. When I am at a complete stop and the vehicle is in the drive gear, my vehicle vibrates excessively. Is this excessive vibration from the fan. I own the 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude and have had this issue since I can remember, but it never bothered me until my wife kept asking me if it was normal. The vehicle makes this vibration with AC, heat, and even when those components are not on. I realize if I put the vehicle in Neutral gear it stops the vibration. Again, I am curious to know if this has any relation to the fan issue. Thanks.
You may want to check for a bad motor mount. There was an issue with early Renegades and bad motor mounts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page