Class Action? Burning Oil, Engine Dying - Page 8 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 18Likes

post #71 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having the same issue with my 2017 2.4L. Went through 5.5 quarts from a dealer oil change in 2900 miles. Checked the oil, bone dry. I am going to take it in and demand an oil consumption test, and I'll report back once complete. This is the second time this has happened, and as mentioned previously, it is a major safety issue, because the car will stall at speed. Not good. Never mind that it is a 2 year old vehicle, and burning through 5+ quarts of oil - at my expense - every couple or months now. Adding insult to injury, I am leasing, and I have 2 years left. Ugh. I took another poster's advice and filed a complaint with the NHTSA about this. We'll see if Fiat Chrysler will eventually acknowledge the issue....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:53 PM

First Name: Ross
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
What oil are you using?

(o)(o) Imagine a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JTD Renegade DesertHawk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

=(..)= please, a DIESEL Renegade TrailHawk DownUnder

Just enjoy each possibility before Frustrating Customer Antagonists need to Fix It Again Temporily
Financially Corrupt Accountants Just endlessly exchange parts until you Just empty every pocket
post #73 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
all you 2.4 engine owners never tried a much more dense oil, like 10W40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH2.0 View Post
Please try, ignore the Multi-Air requirement for 0W20 100% Synthetic.
The DIESEL owner from Greece might be right? LOL
Let us know how you go!
mad trapper likes this.

(o)(o) Imagine a
JTD Renegade DesertHawk

Just enjoy each possibility before Frustrating Customer Antagonists need to Fix It Again Temporily
Financially Corrupt Accountants Just endlessly exchange parts until you Just empty every pocket
post #75 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH2.0 View Post

I don't feel like being the guinea pig, but I have wondered about it. Although, I was thinking more along the lines of a 5W-30 or 0W-30.
post #76 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:40 AM

(o)(o) Imagine a
JTD Renegade DesertHawk

post #77 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:56 AM

(o)(o) Imagine a
JTD Renegade DesertHawk

post #78 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2015 Renegade Oil consumption at about 1qt/1000miles

Yet another example of the issue here. 33k miles, just got the car 5 months ago and sure enough the oil pressure warning came up. I checked the dipstick and it was dry. Hadn't been 2 months since last oil change. I had to fill 4 qts of oil. When I took it to the dealership, they only said to keep measuring and bring it back in 1000 miles. I am encouraged to see that I am not alone in this issue, and since the car still has 3000 miles under warranty I don't want to make any mistakes if this is something that can be fixed under warranty.
post #79 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2.4 oil burn on my renegade

I'm at about 5300 miles. I like my renegade, drives nice and it's comfortable enough. However it's going through oil alarmingly. I've had it into the dealer 3 times for this problem (twice for other warranty). The first time I was 3 1/2 quarts low at about 2500 miles, the low oil light flashed so quick I wasn't sure what it was, but checked the oil and it barely registered on the dip stick, so I topped it off and took it in.

FCA specifics that no consumption test should be done until 7500 miles, so the dealer only checked the dip stick and said it looked ok to them. He advised me to bring it in again when it was a quart low, but I didn't get that he was saying to not top it off, so when a quart low at about 700 miles I topped it off and I took it in -- and of course they didn't see any problem on the dip stick. But this time he got the message through about not topping it off, so I took a couple long day trips and got 1.2 qts low at about about 1500 miles.

I spoke with the dealer tech since he now sees the problem for himself and ask him what the fix would be and "what is the end game on this". He covered a few things, including continue to bring it in when it was low as he was documenting the visits with my comments on oil use as the reason I brought it in. He indicated the problem would be referred to the factory for what they wanted to do when I got to 7500 miles. It's been about 600 miles since that time and I'm at about .7 quarts low from what I see on the dip stick -- so around 900 miles this time on a quart for my 4rth visit at probably under total 6000 miles on the vehicle. FCA says that a quart per 2000 miles is acceptable, but I don't think I'll see that, and it doesn't seem that waiting for another 1500 miles to pass is necessary. I like this jeep, it serves my need, so I'm hoping a fix is coming.

How much oil I use does seem to vary with highway speeds(less use) or around town (use more), that's just my observation.

comments and suggestions welcome

Last edited by MSVLJeep; 09-03-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #80 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Lightbulb

I have been watching the "Oil Loss" threads since 2014. Here is my conclusion.

People that check their oil regularly from new, maybe have to add a couple quarts before their second oil change. These people seem to have no problems after break-in and lead a happy life with their Renegade.

People that don't check their oil and let it burn off 3, maybe 4 quarts, have damaged the engine and therefore it will always have problems.

Checking your oil is a responsibility of owning a car. CHECK YOUR OIL!

Early on in the vehicle's life an owner's oil gets low, but isn't checked or added to, and allowed to keep getting dangerously low. Sometimes to the point of the engine shutting down.

My theory is that after the oil is a quart low, it gets hotter and hotter with every pint below a quart low, causing the oil to start burning off quickly, while also causing engine damage.

With that being said, I've been unofficially been paying attention to the oil usage complaint of others for some time. I've found that in almost every case, people state that the oil is almost "empty" when they check it. Engine damage has already occurred by then, and of course it will be an oil burner moving forward. At this point many owners have their engine replaced.

I found mine to finally get to a quart low at 3000 miles, and added a quart immediately. Now at 8000 miles, it has not burned a drop since. In the very few cases that others have done the same seem to have the same results as myself.

Now I'm not "blaming the victim", but this is what I have seen here and on other Jeep forums that I have belonged to for years, and certainly before the first Renegade was sold in 2014 for 2015 M.Y.

That begs the question that if many of us have just payed close attention to the oil level since day one, would many of these oil loss problems just not exist today? Would many engines not have to be replaced either? I personally think not.

I have owned about 68 new and used vehicles, including 11 Jeeps. I have driven these vehicles a total of an estimated 5 million miles, and have checked my oil regularly and NEVER have had an oil related failure.

I worked for Chrysler, and a couple other manufacturers in parts and service, for years, and weather people agree or not is up to you, but this is my professional opinion until I see otherwise.

So, CHECK YOUR OIL REGULARLY from day one!

Oh, and I no longer have any ties to Chrysler whatsoever.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List