Vibration after Summer Tires Re-Installed - Jeep Renegade Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By letmwhirl

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Vibration after Summer Tires Re-Installed

Hello and thanks for reading this. I will be working with the main Dealership located in Koblenz, but would like to hear from knowledgeable users here. My next appointment is 24 May at 1PM.

end of Oct - 2017 Renegade purchase(cash) from Braun Jeep in Zell
3 Nov - Took possession. It drove like a dream. I love my car and particular the fine smooth drive. I would have never thought a Jeep could drive so nicely.

22 Nov - The auto and summer tires have 918km. New Alu wheels with winter tires installed, from Braun-Zell. The summer tires where left and stored at Braun-Zell.

29 Mar - Summer tires installed when auto had 6448km.
30 Mar - The summer tires < 1000km. Unusual vibration in steering wheel at 130km/hr.
16 Apr - Appt with Braun-Zell. 1.5 hrs later SvcMgr informed me, "No problem Found".
24 Apr - The summer tires have < 1500km, 7200km on Auto. Frustrated with Braun-Zell.
Made appointment with former VW Dealer and explained problem.
They invited me to watch them R&R and balance all 4 tires. 3 were out of balance.
The SvcMgr and I drove it afterwards, problem still exists, but somewhat better.
I was scared to drive it on the Freeway thinking that a tire might separate and blow-out.
4 May - Drove to Braun-Koblenz. I was there from 9:30AM until 1PM.
A SvcMgrr inspected the under carriage for any damage then had the tires re-balanced.
He said there were also three tires not balanced correctly.
Driving it with the Service Manager, I noticed the vibration was still there.
6 May - Not satisfied, I drove back to Braun-Koblenz. I arrived at 9:30AM. Spoke with chef at 10AM.
They installed new tires and wheels, and suggested driving 1 week and return for new appt.
The Service man mentioned driving another new auto and see if there is a difference.
Driving it home it still has a vibration in steering wheel between 130 to 145.
I drove it ~300km on the 11th, on the freeway, vibration is still there.
17 May - No work performed. I mentioned that I did not notice a vibration with the winter tires. they want me to bring the winter tires so they can install them and test drive. So another new appt next Thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
You need to go to a proper tyre fitters and get the job done properly instead of using dealers. Who are clearly incompetant.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
I'll go with the stupid simple first. Mainly because I have had a shop do it to me in the past.

Have you checked all your lug bolts? Did a service monkey go nuts with an air wrench and sheer one off? Check to see that they are suitably tight.

Have you inspected the tread? If there's any scalloping or cupping, you can't fix it with a balance, but one would assume that the dealer would have checked this. But it is easy for you to visually check, so don't trust them to not miss it.

How did you store the summer tires? Storing them on the treat over winter can cause a flat spot. Similarly, if it is just a soft compound it cna temporarily flat spot after sitting for hours. I had a set of tires like this on my last car. Really soft compound, on the commute for the first ~10-15 minutes it would feel like unbalanced tires until I got them warmed up enough.

What is the tire? The speed rating matters. Start pushing the speed rating and you will get some symptoms of unbalanced tires. Normally wouldn't ask for 130-140kph, but the renny can fit some tires that have a pretty low speed rating.

Anyone check the wheel for round? out of round or damaged wheels can create a situation that can't be fixed by balancing. If it's bad enough they can reduce it, but it won't eliminate it. This partial fix can show up as stable at lower speeds but vibration at higher speeds, or it can seem good at low speeds, get vibrating at higher speeds, then sort of stabilize at even higher speeds. It won't feel too bad, but it will beat up the tire faster. Quick check to do is inspect the wieghts put on the wheels to balance them. There should not be a lot. If you see a lot, something's up. If you see a lot on only one wheel, that one probably has an issue. If you have more time, Especially if one of those with more weights is on the front, try swapping it with one of your winters and taking a test drive. See if you get the vibration. Don't drive like that for extended periods though. Put it back to one set once you get an answer.

Anyone check the alignment yet? Inspect the bearings, bushing, CV joints or shocks for damage, wear, or leaks? Unlikely if the other set of tires is fine, but it should be part of the check for the complaint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Hi NEV, thank you for the reply. I will look up a local tire with a good reputation and see what they have to say. That is a great idea.

I would really like to feel comfortable with my dealers ability to clear up this issue. However, I am beginning to think they are only able to accommodate quick fixes to get a car sold.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:56 AM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz-0 View Post
I'll go with the stupid simple first. Mainly because I have had a shop do it to me in the past.

Have you checked all your lug bolts? Did a service monkey go nuts with an air wrench and sheer one off? Check to see that they are suitably tight.

Have you inspected the tread? If there's any scalloping or cupping, you can't fix it with a balance, but one would assume that the dealer would have checked this. But it is easy for you to visually check, so don't trust them to not miss it.

How did you store the summer tires? Storing them on the treat over winter can cause a flat spot. Similarly, if it is just a soft compound it cna temporarily flat spot after sitting for hours. I had a set of tires like this on my last car. Really soft compound, on the commute for the first ~10-15 minutes it would feel like unbalanced tires until I got them warmed up enough.

What is the tire? The speed rating matters. Start pushing the speed rating and you will get some symptoms of unbalanced tires. Normally wouldn't ask for 130-140kph, but the renny can fit some tires that have a pretty low speed rating.

Anyone check the wheel for round? out of round or damaged wheels can create a situation that can't be fixed by balancing. If it's bad enough they can reduce it, but it won't eliminate it. This partial fix can show up as stable at lower speeds but vibration at higher speeds, or it can seem good at low speeds, get vibrating at higher speeds, then sort of stabilize at even higher speeds. It won't feel too bad, but it will beat up the tire faster. Quick check to do is inspect the wieghts put on the wheels to balance them. There should not be a lot. If you see a lot, something's up. If you see a lot on only one wheel, that one probably has an issue. If you have more time, Especially if one of those with more weights is on the front, try swapping it with one of your winters and taking a test drive. See if you get the vibration. Don't drive like that for extended periods though. Put it back to one set once you get an answer.

Anyone check the alignment yet? Inspect the bearings, bushing, CV joints or shocks for damage, wear, or leaks? Unlikely if the other set of tires is fine, but it should be part of the check for the complaint.

👌🏾👌🏾👌🏾
These things come with S rated tires, and shouldn’t have anything less. T then H is better,
And most tires in our sizes should be sufficient. But follow all of what @raz-o said and it should be apparent
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Wheels are good, lugs are tightened correctly, tires are 225/40 r18 98v, no cupping, this set only has abut 1500 km.

I have an appt today at 1pm, they will install my winter tires and test again. Its a bit frustrating, trying to get this problem resolved. I am putting km on it which increases my insurance costs as well as gas and time which is also money.

I am beginnig to wonder if buying this was the right thing to do. If they would simply isolate the problem for themselves, that would be great. They should have the resources and knowledge to clear up complaints,,, or stop selling them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

WOW, you will not believe it. I drove about 30km on the frwy, and all of a sudden the vibration was no longer there. I could not believe it, so I continued to drive further on the frwy past my dealer. I was able to speed up again to 130 - 150, vibration was not there. I exited then turned around got back on the frwy, 130 - 150 and vibration was not there. The service man will be here soon and we will see what he says.
DCHARTIER likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page