Removed Front Fender Wheel Well/Trim - Jeep Renegade Forum
 21Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Removed Front Fender Wheel Well/Trim

Washing the Trailhawk for the first time. Usual just hose it down with the pressure washer. But my brother just got back from the beach and we wanted to spray the entire car down and the under carriage because of the salt water. We ended up taking off the front fender wheel wells to clean and in prep for the tires we ordered. The front half of the trim actually protects a lot of things, so I might end up putting it back on and cutting the back part to clear the tires at full lock.

With the Trailhawk we didn't have to jack the Renegade up or take the wheels off. We just turn the wheels to access a few bolts.

There are...
x4 Plastic 10mm nuts
x4 Philips head screws
x1 10mm bolt
...on each side

The start from the front side and pull the trim out of the outer edge. That will give you play room to pull the front inner edge off the bolt mounts. Then work your way to the back of the tire pulling the trim out.

Here are a few pictures of what it looks like behind the trim. It doesn't look good naked at all and the front exposes a lot of things you don't want to kick dirt, water, and mud at.

Decide for yourself if you like the look, if you want to go with bigger tires and need the clearance. I'm leaning towards no, but I'll wait to get the mud tires on there and do some offroading before I decide to put the trim back on or not.

With the trim on...

2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
San Jacinto, CA
Bee Canyon -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Idylwild Road
Thomas Trail
Black Mountain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

On a side note I took a look at the fender trim. On both the front and back the metal fender comes all the way down to the edge of the plastic trim. I was curious if taking off the black fender trim would expose a higher cut metal fender or not. It's not.

The trim piece looks to be held on by clips only. I couldn't find an screws that looked like it was holding it on. I do recommend taking off the fender wheel well/trim to access the back of the clips, so you can push them to get the fender trim off.

Here's to fender flares in the future...

Note in the pictures the white and green clips. The screws look to be for bolting on the fender, not the trim.

Incognito, twospirits and Billy like this.

San Jacinto, CA
Bee Canyon -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Idylwild Road
Thomas Trail
Black Mountain
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:49 AM

First Name: David
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Wow, Really tight in there. There is alot of stuff being protected by that trim. Awesome shots.

TS

Favorite Quote: The No is always there, you are just looking for the Yes.
Click for signature of Renegade Smileys
Spoiler
Jeep Renegade waving gif Smileys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:29 AM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage
So that is where the horns are.

Thanks for the pictures, but for me, I have no reason to remove my inner-liners (keeping stock tires).
twospirits likes this.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
IMHO, keep the liners in unless you're going to relocate all that stuff.
twospirits likes this.

Jeeps:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk
1999 Cherokee Classic
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Oh and that seam with the pinch weld should probably be cut and folded to smooth it out as well, we had to do similar work on the XJ's especially for those with bigger tires and sway bar discos since you had a higher chance of hitting it at articulation.

Jeeps:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk
1999 Cherokee Classic
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Useful narrative and photos

White_THawk
This is a very fine narrative, as well as useful photos for a task that fellow members may utilize at some time. Wish that more narratives like yours' were on this forum instead of all the complaining and useless input by many. Have fun with your TH.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Agree, this is a great post for what is behind those wheel well liners.
It will be curious to see what mods the owners will do to the suspension.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
looks good and gives hope for the bigger tires. question did you end up sizing down the rims or just get different ones? also what size and type did you get? I'm also wondering if theres a way to keep that front fender cover on to protect all that stuff and then just "rhino line" the rear to keep the color but maintain that extra space...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Oh and that seam with the pinch weld should probably be cut and folded to smooth it out as well, we had to do similar work on the XJ's especially for those with bigger tires and sway bar discos since you had a higher chance of hitting it at articulation.

I was thinking about that too, when I saw that seam line. It looks like it will cut into the tire. But my problem with the 15" wheel, is that I have to use 1" spacers. If the tire is going to hit anything, it will hit the edge of the fender first. I'll run my wheel/tire combo and test the clearance once they get in. But I'm thinking lift kit or fender flares once they become readily available in the USA.

San Jacinto, CA
Bee Canyon -

Old Idylwild Road
Thomas Trail
Black Mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page