1Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Mike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Leaving ...

There isn't any obvious place to do this, so I'm doing it here

Today I sold my Renegade to finance a Kona Electric. So although I may pop-in here for a look sometimes my contributions will decline.

I'd intended to shift the Rene at the end of the year-ish, before the warranty expired, as I'm not that happy with it. It never let me down but had a significant rate of stupid warnings (mainly parking brake and side distance faults), some horrible software (eg. the parking sensors) and a few other niggles (big A pillar blind-spot), each of which which annoyed me and/or made me a bit mistrustful of it.

I've had a hankering for an EV for some time and the Kona is the first in price, availability and type to have enough range to cope with the currently spotty (aka terrible) UK public charging infrastructure. So back in January when there was a 10 month waiting list I put my name down for one - delivery end of October after my holiday in California Disney. That was a tad early but still a reasonable fit with my planned change date.
It arrived 4 months early

Hyundai's px offer for the Rene was derisory and I swore a few years ago I'd never sell privately again, so it has ended up in the hands of we-buy-any-car who paid me nearly 1,000 more than Hyundai would have. Go figure.

So I'm currently car-less but hopefully next week sometime I'll have a new, orange (again), crossover/SUV.

Previously: 2017, 1.4 petrol, 6 speed auto, FWD, Limited, Omaha Orange ...

Now gone electric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Quite like the Kona, but it's only 2WD? I'm waiting for the Alfa Tonale. The 4WD petrol PHEV looks interesting....

The problem with these forum is that they are model specific, so once the initial glut of people move away 3 or 4 years after launch the website traffic just drops off.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:35 PM

First Name: Colin
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to see you go,but best of luck with the new motor.
mikeindp likes this.

Limited FWD DDCT, Carbon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Quite like the Kona, but it's only 2WD?
So was my Rene. Where I live now AWD is a complete waste as we hardly ever see snow

Now gone electric.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Sorry to see you go! I do like the Kona myself. Good luck with your new ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Had a Kia Stonic rental last month which was quite peppy and very similar.

If you're heading over to Anaheim grab a nice big SUV from someone like Hertz and head over into Arizona. I love roadtripping out in the middle of nowhere.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
If you're heading over to Anaheim grab a nice big SUV from someone like Hertz and head over into Arizona. I love roadtripping out in the middle of nowhere.
I try not to drive in foreign countries these days as it's hard work (being the wrong side of the road as well as the rest of it) but never say never. I'd only have a day or two 'spare' though and Arizona sounds a way off.

Now gone electric.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Left

Sold my Rene 1.4 DDCT at the end of Feb, Jeep dealer offered 9k, webuyanycar was a bit better, and Evans Halshaw was around 9.8 - so they got it. They had it for over 3 months and eventually had it listed for less than they paid me. Had a Compass for a day but preferred the Renegade as it stands out more and handled better when i changed to 18" wheels and wider tyres. Also fitted rear spacers.

Would buy another Reneade but not the DDCT (it was annoying sometimes), may look at the hybrid when it comes next year. In the meantime I have gone for more power with a supercharged Lotus Evora - much more fun.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 PM

First Name: Ross
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeindp View Post
I'd intended to shift the Rene at the end of the year-ish, before the warranty expired, as I'm not that happy with it. It never let me down but had a significant rate of stupid warnings (mainly parking brake and side distance faults), some horrible software (eg. the parking sensors) and a few other niggles (big A pillar blind-spot), each of which which annoyed me and/or made me a bit mistrustful of it.
Keep a Jeep under WARRANTY?
NOT long term?
Don't go OFF ROAD? (FWD)

Good Luck to the mouse from UK.

(o)(o) Imagine a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JTD Renegade DesertHawk

=(..)= please, a DIESEL Renegade TrailHawk DownUnder

Just enjoy each possibility before Frustrating Customer Antagonists need to Fix It Again Temporily
Financially Corrupt Accountants Just endlessly exchange parts until you Just empty every pocket
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exeterjeep View Post
Sold my Rene 1.4 DDCT at the end of Feb, Jeep dealer offered 9k, webuyanycar was a bit better, and Evans Halshaw was around 9.8 - so they got it. They had it for over 3 months and eventually had it listed for less than they paid me. Had a Compass for a day but preferred the Renegade as it stands out more and handled better when i changed to 18" wheels and wider tyres. Also fitted rear spacers.

Would buy another Reneade but not the DDCT (it was annoying sometimes), may look at the hybrid when it comes next year. In the meantime I have gone for more power with a supercharged Lotus Evora - much more fun.
From comments on other forums used car prices in the UK do seem a bit uncertain at present. I guess it's partly Brexit at least, since a serious slump is looking more likely now.

I picked up the Kona yesterday but between the weather and other commitments I just drove home and put it in the garage. Have a play over the weekend I hope.
I was close to cancelling it a few times and was pondering a hybrid. If the Renegade hybrid had been out I'd have had a look at least. But I regard hybrids, as opposed to range extended like the i3, as a bit of a bodge - they aren't much cheaper, they are far more complicated, you're carrying around a load of machinery that you hope you'll never use and they'll need as much servicing as an ordinary ICE.

I scratched the supercharged boy's toy itch a few years ago . Enjoy it, but try and keep your licence

Now gone electric.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page