Who has bought another extended Warranty/Service plan other than MOPAR? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By CRZY4x4
  • 2 Post By 84cj
  • 1 Post By JonathanJCole539

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who has bought another extended Warranty/Service plan other than MOPAR?

Hello,
I'm new here, my first post. I have had my 2017 Jeep Renegade since November 2017 (Brand new) and now have 25,600 miles on it and it's time for me to start thinking about getting an extended warranty/service plan because I know I'll reach the 36K mark before the Jeep is even two years old this November.

I'm struggling to decide what other Service plans besides MOPAR that might be an option. I took my Jeep into the dealer this morning because for the past three days when trying to start the car, it won't start and the engine light and Electronic Throttle Control (Red lightening bolts and parentheses) came on and another light or two that I can't remember. When I took my foot off the brake pedal and then tried a second time to start it it did start up but I know they need to look at this and see what the problem is. Anyways, while there I talked to the finance department and asked if they had any brochures on the MOPAR plans as MOPAR keeps sending me emails about deals they are having for their extended service plans and the guy actually told me about this other company called "The Mechanic" Mechanical Repair Service Contract through a company called Automotive Warranty Services. He said they were much more affordable than MOPAR and easier to get repairs covered by them but I was skeptical about the brochure he gave me as they have no contact information or website or anything and I like to do my own research on things first. He said if I was interested when I came back in to get my Renegade he could call in my VIN and Mileage to the company and get quotes for all their levels. I finally found some online reviews on Google for this company and it had 15 reviews and all of them were 1 Star and HORRIBLE So I don't think I'll be using that company.

So now I'm back wondering if I should just get a plan with MOPAR or wondered if there are any other good extended Service Plans out there that the dealers will actually work with instead of having to pay first for something and then file a claim with a secondary service company and then wait for reimbursement. My understanding is if I buy a MOPAR extended Service plan that I would only pay my deductible directly at the dealership for any repairs.

I have owned 6 news cars in my life and this Jeep Renegade is the 6th one. I have never in the past purchased an extended warranty on a car except for my 5th new car in 2014 which was a brand new 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV and I purchased the extended warranty at the same time I bought the car because I knew I would be putting a lot of miles on it very quickly due to a job location change and needing to drive to work. Buying that extended warranty for the Subaru saved me big time because in 3 years and 90K miles my Transmission in the Crosstrek took a crap and I was only 10K miles away from the extended warranty running out. Subaru replaced the Trans with a brand new one but I turned around and immediately sold the Subaru because at that point my very first experience with Subaru had been soured as I heard their cars lasted a long time and were known for high miles with little problems. I also did NOT like the CVT transmission in the Subaru and felt that I could end up with a crapped out Transmission another 30K miles down the road and then I would be totally out of luck. The new Transmission had I not had the warranty would have been almost $10K. So from now on, I feel that the extended warranty/Service plans are necessary for some cars and I've heard that the Renegades are not the best of Jeep. Luckily I do not have any problems or issues with the burning oil like many other Renegade owners do, but I'll quickly be putting that last 10K miles on the car and need to start research extended service plans.

If you have purchased a plan that was not with MOPAR and have needed to use it, how did the transactions go at the dealer? Did you have to pay them in full first and then wait for a claim through the Service company? Suggestions would be much appreciated. I need to keep this car until the loan is paid off so I need to keep it working for the next 5 years and feel I need the extended Service Plan.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by tpadul; 04-01-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.
I've heard that there are a couple extended plans available with good ratings, but can't remember right now who. That being said, Mopar warranties seem to have good reviews. If you purchase a contract, any contract, you need to do your part and keep up on scheduled maintenance however.
tpadul likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Renegade 2.4 (BU) *CURRENT*
2018 Wrangler 3.6 (JK-U) *CURRENT*
2017 Patriot 2.0 (MK74)
2017 Wrangler 3.6 Unlimited (JK-U)
2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2)
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)

Last edited by CRZY4x4; 04-01-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Additional text
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Go with the MOPAR. I bought a third party plan for my 2001 Ram. It didn't cover squat. The front crank seal went, a job I could have easily done. I took it in to let the warranty cover it. I go to pick it up, the extended warranty covered the $12 seal. Thats it. I had to pay over $160 in labor. Biggest waste of money. Better off setting aside a few bucks a week into a 'repair fund'.
JFS and tpadul like this.

2018 Latitude Altitude
1984 CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies!! And I did end up going with the MOPAR extended Service Plan, I got a 6 year/unlimited miles bumper to bumper/ max care plan, this way I will not constantly be watching the Odometer for the rest of the time I own the car until It's paid off. I know I'll be upgrading to another Jeep after I pay off this Renegade.

Last edited by tpadul; 04-03-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added text
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did buy the MOPAR

I bought my 2016 Renegade Trailhawk in 2017 with 36K miles on it. I opted for the MOPAR extended warranty mostly because this car is loaded with computerized everything including the 9 speed 4X4 transmission.
tpadul likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page