Driver Side Mirror - Plastic post replacement - Jeep Renegade Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Driver Side Mirror - Plastic post replacement

I could see that someone else had the same issue about a year ago, but the post is archived and doesn't list a solution.
I backed out of the driveway this morning and the garbage can (though it was empty) was too much for the side mirror and snapped it off. Everything on it is totally fine, but the plastic post that holds the mirror in place is broken.

When I called the dealership to ask about parts, they said that the entire mirror would likely have to be replaced, which ended up being a whole $350 for the part alone.

I looked on eBay as well as a few other sites, and while I can find the entire mirror for much cheaper (around $150ish), but I was wondering if there was a way to just buy the plastic post that was broken. I am not sure what this piece is called, but it seems like it would be something that would be under $50. Otherwise, I will just buy the used part and hope it works. My mirror is non-painted, non-heated and has lane assist, so I am hoping that I can just buy any 2017 Renegade mirror and be able to snap the current housing on top of it..

Attached shows a bit of the damage, but I still need a good picture of the broken plastic post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190429_100715.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	2396343989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190429_100709.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	2396343991  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:32 PM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
A scrap yard would be my first budget port-of-call.

2.0 MJet Dirty DERV 140BHP AWD
75th Anniversary Alpine White
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was able to grab one off of eBay after getting the correct part number from the dealer. It ended up being about $250, so all in all, it could be worse. They told me that labor would be $50 at the dealership.

Anyways, I was noticing today that my right mirror, which is attached perfectly fine has started to have the lane departure alert on all the time. I just cut the cable from the other mirror since it was just hanging there and flopping around. I taped over the hole that the cable is in, since I didn't want water getting on the bare wire. Not sure if it has anything to do with the lane departure alert being on, but I am pretty sure I didn't have this issue last night, after cutting the cable, so it has me worried that it might have shorted something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page