Renegade Tow Hooks - Page 2 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 9Likes

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
It's almost like I helped well before hand

So....that aluminum crash bar will blow away at less than the vehicle weight when pulled up a slight incline.....take a look back at my posts from let's say about a year ago. It certainly won't be a viable recovery point from first hand experience.

I have more photos as well and my 4 piece crash bar if ya want it. Jeep low temp welded extruded aluminum.....good for about 1,000 of low resistance rolling without taking out the bumper cover as it turns into confetti.

I applaud the effort, but you need to make a new crash bar if you want to mount it there, or remove the crash bar and make a set of brackets to bolt to the frame horns instead. Either would work much better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Btw, the rear is steel, stamped steel, but should be ok for recovery. I'd still advise frame horn mounting since it's structural steel, imho.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMediocritist View Post
You couldn’t.

The hooks and brackets would be fine, but you’re bolting them around a lightweight welded crash bar that will tear off at a small fraction of your 12 ton hook capacity. Might need to rethink your mounting points if you want to sell these as recovery tow hooks.
The crash bar can easily pick the car up. The crash bar is hooked to the frame and is very strong, that"s why the OEM tow hook is hooked to the crash bar. Yes you could tare off the crash bar with the hooks, but it would easily pull the car out of most situations. No mater where you hook the tow hook to the car its going to fail AT THE car and not our tow hook or mount. Looks like a bad weld on that crash bar also. We also have a horn mount that hooks to the horn mount but it would come out of the front at a proper way. I have picked up my Renegade with our tow hooks off the ground and did not have that problem.

Last edited by ZL1Addons; 11-22-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshaggy View Post
It's almost like I helped well before hand

So....that aluminum crash bar will blow away at less than the vehicle weight when pulled up a slight incline.....take a look back at my posts from let's say about a year ago. It certainly won't be a viable recovery point from first hand experience.

I have more photos as well and my 4 piece crash bar if ya want it. Jeep low temp welded extruded aluminum.....good for about 1,000 of low resistance rolling without taking out the bumper cover as it turns into confetti.

I applaud the effort, but you need to make a new crash bar if you want to mount it there, or remove the crash bar and make a set of brackets to bolt to the frame horns instead. Either would work much better.

Did you turn that issue into warranty? We do have horn mount for our smaller tow hooks for the Renegade, they come out where the fake grills are.. I can show you those also, just need to modify them for the large D ring. Looks like your crash bar was never welded properly, warranty should take care of that.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Warranty told me to f**k myself more or less.......

"Since it isn't the red towhooks included with the Trailhawk, the screw in tow hook is not approved for vehicle recovery and cannot be used for anything other than flat ground towing" - per Jeep/FCA

You're correct, the welding was done way wrong.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Anybody else have these installed? How much of a PITA is removing front clip, need to be any new fastener that get broken in process?

2018 Trailhawk
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:38 PM

First Name: Don
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This from the vendor:

We have a setup on our personal renegade and have used them to pull the car without issue. As for the renegade bumper failing, we haven't heard about any issues.

Thanks
ZL1addons Team

Me: Is that just the screw in hooks or do you have additional brackets?

Vendor: They just screw into the factory receiver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page