1Likes
  • 1 Post By aus10dixon

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
AVID Lift/Wheel Combo

I've been looking for a tire/lift combo I really like for the Renegade. I think my favorite has been the combo on AVID's Renegade that's featured on their website. I'm trying to find out the tire/rim size as well as the lift and any spacers or other needed modifications. I have a feeling that custom bumper may be needed for those tires to fit, as well.

Is @Avid_ViAnn still a rep on here, or would someone else know that info? I thought I'd go ahead and make a thread in case anyone else wanted that info.

Jamie Smith likes this.

2018 Jeep Renegade Sport Upland Edition 4x4
2.4 L Multi-Air with 9-Speed Auto Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 12:17 AM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
285/70/17 Mikey Thompson. Not sure on the wheel probly a 17 x 8.5 or 9. With LOTS of trimming, and unable to turn lock to lock. It’s more to show what’s ‘possible’ That’s their 2” lift.

Trimming of both front AND rear pinch welds I remember seeing. ViAnn is no longer with avid btw.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeper35 View Post
285/70/17 Mikey Thompson. Not sure on the wheel probly a 17 x 8.5 or 9. With LOTS of trimming, and unable to turn lock to lock. It’s more to show what’s ‘possible’ That’s their 2” lift.

Trimming of both front AND rear pinch welds I remember seeing. ViAnn is no longer with avid btw.
Thanks for the info! I guess I can scratch this off the list. The JROG Facebook group and Instagram both have a lot of good photos of other possible lift and wheel combinations. I'll probably find something I like there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Yes, that's just a show piece. It probably couldn't turn worth a darn, and would have VERY little suspension movement.
I wouldn't get carried away with tire size. Keep in mind this is a GNK AWD system (NOT a "4x4" by any means) which will have limited power transfer to the rear wheels (which the system already cuts off if it senses too much load, even with stock tires). It's pointless to have big meaty tires on it that wouldn't be able to provide power/grip anyway, unless you're just after the looks.
It would be like putting 31" tires on a Subaru Forrester (or actually... a Fiat 500x which uses the same GNK AWD components). Kind of silly when you think of that way. Just because it says "jeep" on it doesn't mean the Renegade is meant for any serious/real off roading. It's a "soft roader" that does VERY well within it's place.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick365 View Post
Yes, that's just a show piece. It probably couldn't turn worth a darn, and would have VERY little suspension movement.
I wouldn't get carried away with tire size. Keep in mind this is a GNK AWD system (NOT a "4x4" by any means) which will have limited power transfer to the rear wheels (which the system already cuts off if it senses too much load, even with stock tires). It's pointless to have big meaty tires on it that wouldn't be able to provide power/grip anyway, unless you're just after the looks.
It would be like putting 31" tires on a Subaru Forrester (or actually... a Fiat 500x which uses the same GNK AWD components). Kind of silly when you think of that way. Just because it says "jeep" on it doesn't mean the Renegade is meant for any serious/real off roading. It's a "soft roader" that does VERY well within it's place.
I think you're mistaken in assuming I'm trying to go heavy duty off-roading. I'm not planning on going rock crawling or deep-mud riding or anything of that sort. It's more for the look, but I do want a good bit of additional ride height, which is why the stance of this one caught my attention--not interested in anything that requires ditching or modifying the stock bumpers, though.

I did end up finding some pretty good examples of great tire and suspension combinations through the Facebook owners group and Instagram pages I mentioned.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 02:32 PM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick365 View Post
Just because it says "jeep" on it doesn't mean the Renegade is meant for any serious/real off roading. It's a "soft roader" that does VERY well within it's place.

You can assume these Jeeps aren't made for what you call serious offroading, and you can limit yourself to some basic trails. If you look me, or our FB group Jeep Renegade Life, youll see plenty of us don't listen to folks like yourself. We have plenty of fun, and some of us even have badges of honor from Jeep, along with plenty of followers, who know we test the limits of our 'jeeps'

We will be taking our 2nd trip to Moab next May, so join us, unless you feel your jeep isn't capable of some moderate/difficult trails, then you can jump in someone elses TH

94 YJ
95 ZJ
98 XJ (2wd)
05 WK (2wd)
15 Renegade Trailhawk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeper35 View Post
You can assume these Jeeps aren't made for what you call serious offroading, and you can limit yourself to some basic trails. If you look me, or our FB group Jeep Renegade Life, youll see plenty of us don't listen to folks like yourself. We have plenty of fun, and some of us even have badges of honor from Jeep, along with plenty of followers, who know we test the limits of our 'jeeps'

We will be taking our 2nd trip to Moab next May, so join us, unless you feel your jeep isn't capable of some moderate/difficult trails, then you can jump in someone elses TH
I'm not saying it isn't capable, I'm saying it will never be a hard core off roader. Sure, you can probably accomplish a lot with these vehicles. You could accomplish probably the same with any other AWD vehicle as well (with some work). That's still not saying it's a true 4x4. It's not (and it bothers me that Jeep tries to convey that it is. Even GKN, who makes the system, refers to it as an AWD. I'm disappointed that Jeep has the audacity to label, and market, it as a "4x4" system).
It suffers from the same issues that all AWD's have off road: it needs wheels to slip before it knows what's going on and how to address it. Many off road conditions you cannot afford to have tires slipping (rock crawling for example). It's counter productive. Slipping means that you are either digging a hole (mud/dirt) that the other tires will now have to overcome (as well as the already loss of traction in the first place), and the other is that with a wheel slipping, you are no longer stable (rock crawling).
This is why you'll NOT see AWD vehicles used by ANY serious rock crawler/mudder. Sorry, but it is what it is (and why more serious 4x4 systems exist).
I love my Renegade TH for what it is, but I'm not trying to turn it into something it will never be. It's a beefed up Fiat 500x, with the same GKN AWD system (slightly different tune) hardware, and that's all it will ever be.
Sure, it's fun to test it's limits, but lets not pretend these have the capability of Wranglers.

Last edited by Maverick365; 09-08-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page