Jeep Renegade Forum banner

I did it!

12K views 53 replies 12 participants last post by  Mkalkofen 
#1 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger last night! I'm the proud new owner of a Mohave Sand Latitude (1.4L) with Bark Brown/Ski Grey interior. It's a great combo. The best part? The price - $17,993 asking price! I didn't put down a penny, traded in my 2012 base model Kia Sportage (60k miles) and walked out the door with a payment under $250 (quite a bit less than I was paying for the Sportage)!

#3 ·
Used?

#5 ·
How!? Latitude MSRP is over $21,000. Must be some sweet incentives to get it down to $17k.

Reactions: Mkalkofen
#9 ·
I'll report back on that later :) I did a ton of research and this has more torque and very similar HP to the last two vehicles I towed with, so I'm not too worried about it. I know, I know - a lot of people think I'm nuts and love to lecture me, but I've logged many, many miles towing with these smaller vehicles and never had a problem.

#19 · (Edited)
According to the vehicle builder at Jeep.com, you can't get the tow package on a 2x4. Only the 4x4 has the option of the Tow Pack.

And in doing so (adding the pack) it requires the update to the 2.4l and the 9-speed.

It's reckless, and dangerous to everyone on the road to tow with vehicle not built to tow.

Edit: Also, the website states that the Renegade can tow "Up to 2000lbs towing". Again, that's for the 2.4l 9-speed with Tow Pack.

#33 · (Edited)
Actually found the sheet, and another entire thread on this subject.

1.4L is 2200lbs tow rating in EU, not the US.

Reason? http://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

"To boil it all down, the reason that American vehicles are rated to tow less is based on a difference methodology for tow safety.

US tow safety prioritizes a naturally safe dynamic situation so that more people can pull at freeway speeds with less likelihood of incident. There is no doubt that using this method results in an inherently safer tow situation as it relates to vehicle dynamics.

UK tow safety allows for the possibility to carry more weight, but erring on the side of caution with far less safety margin in respect to the physics.

Bottom line - Can a tow vehicle pull a heavier trailer there than is rated for here in the US? Yes, with some provisions:

1. The closer the trailer weight gets to the vehicle weight the slower you will need to drive.

2. DO NOT exceed 65 mph with a tongue weight in the 4-7% range, this is a guaranteed way to sway and 65 is the max, go slower in regards to #1 .

3. None of this takes into account crosswinds, cooling systems, hp, or braking effectiveness.

Moral of the story:

Europeans! Be proud that you can pull that huge caravan with your tiny car.

Americans! Be proud you can pull more weight in total and with a greater degree of safety and at higher speeds than our Euro friends."

#41 ·
The towing debate is hilarious. It brings out such highly passionate opinions, yet so very, very few people with actually hard, concrete knowledge. For many people, towing with anything short of a big rig is dangerous, and I'm sure they have opinions on that too. Enjoy your Renegades and chill out!

#47 ·
Probably not legal, and unless he's driving at 55-60mph, it's not safe, either.

And, it's not just the fact that you might break your toy. You could cause a dangerous situation for other people on the road, because you choose to not follow US towing guidelines.
It's awesome that all of you guys have never sped, talked on your phone while driving, ate/drank something while driving, etc... How very noble of you.

#43 ·

Racked up probably 8,000 - 10,000 with this setup; all around the midwest, moving to the northwest, and then around the northwest for a couple of years. Similar situation to the Renegade - rated to tow overseas, not in the U.S. The trailer has brakes and I never had any issues with the transmission melting down (5 speed), trailer sway, or anything like that.

#53 ·
For the ones interested in european (and other EMEA countries) Jeep Renegade towing limits here the official specifications for gasoline and diesel versions.

http://www.fiatpress.com/download/2014/schede_tecniche/Technical_Sheet_Jeep_Renegade_ENG.pdf

Renegade with 2.4 engine and 948TE gearbox (9 speed automatic) is 907 kg tthat are almost 2000 lbs (same aas U.S.A. model)
Renegade with 1.4 gasoline turbo 6 speed manual gearbox is 1000 kg that are 2204 lbs
Renegade with 2.0 turbo diesel engine 1500 kg that are 3307 lbs

Note: all are braked towing capacities.

European towing legislation is not the same in european countries as well as the speed limits. For example in France You can drive up to 130 km/h, that are 80.78 mph, in highways (if combined weigth is less than 3500 kg), in Belgium 120 km/h = 74.56 mph, ... in most is 50 mph (since car + trailer are a roadtrain).
For lighter trailers, in some euroepan countries, there are different legslation and higher speed limits, same as solo car, but the trailer s registered as an appendix of the car.

As for the U.S.A. 1.4 Turbo Renegade Jeep declares towing "not recommended", not "not allowed". The reason? well only Jeep knows.

6 speed manual gearbox is the same for diesel and gasoline engines, in Europe, U.S.A. and elsewhere, FPT C635 gearbox, maximum torque 350 Nm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.