I'm considering buying one of these soon - Jeep Renegade Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
I'm considering buying one of these soon

Oh hi there!

Let me introduce myself... My second name is Daniel. I'm not the typical Jeep buyer, not by a long shot. I am the owner of a 16 year old Jaguar XK8 convertible which I will be trading in for the Jeep Renegade. I am also a medical student who lives in Puerto Rico. I love exploring the island and I think a Jeep will be a much better car for that. But I digress, the real reason I am getting rid of the Jag is that I can't afford it. Parts are too expensive and its gotten to that point where stuff breaks more often than I can replace them. I need an economical, reliable vehicle that can handle a pothole or two. (The roads here resemble the surface of the moon.)

I expect to get about $7k for the Jag. I'm going for the base Renegade (I have a very tight budget). So I was wondering, would the 2.4L tigershark Renegade Sport with the 9 speed auto and only front wheel drive be enough for light to moderate off-roading? I might leave the road on the odd weekends I have free.

Is it possible to get that model in Anvil? The dealer said they'd check the ports to see if any are available. If not, I'll settle for one of the other colors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 03:35 AM

First Name: Mrsig
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
and enjoy the forum!

Me 07 JKUSR, CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org
White Jeep Club Member # 137
To see my mods or Jeep in action go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife
2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4x4 2.4L, 9 speed Auto.
White Jeep Club Member # BU01

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:20 AM

First Name: Kevin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Garage
Greetings from the UK. Welcome to the world of the Jeep Renegade

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Enjoying my Renegade Longitude 1.4 turbo. Order one, you know you want to.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a jeep 4x4 Sport.
There have been times i will go off roading and gett muddy WITHOUT 4X4 ON - I think you should be fine. Maybe take some pictures of what your incountering and show us

Windsor Ontario, Canada.
Jeep Renegade Sport 4x4
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Mrsig, please no! Not the kitty... D'aw, it's so cute. Ok, the Jeep is not a car, it's an SUV... But, isn't the Renegade a CUV?

Bunk, I expect the Jeep to be able to handle tougher terrain than my old Jag hopelessly ever could (and it surprised me sometimes) I will miss the car, and it was even good for drifting, but I need reliability and economy with some fun. I know the Trailhawk is best in class off-road, but I do not expect the same out of the regular Renegade. I would like to know how capable it is. Ideally I could buy a trail hawk, but that is not the budget. As far as I know, my local dealer doesn't have any of the sports stocked in 4x4 guise.

Here's a picture of my old Jag, I'm sure going to miss it.

My sister had a Patriot and I noticed that car had a bit of an orange peel to it and the paint felt thin. Is that present on the Renegade? Would anyone happen to know how thick the paint is? The Jag had a very thick paint job and clear coat. My local body shop described it as "30 coats of clear coat". It really made the paint shine. If I notice the Renegade has the orange peel, is it safe to buff it out or could I potentially buff through the clear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3543.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	40298  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:46 AM

First Name: Stik
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Hello and welcome!

The granite crystal paint as on my Renegade seems to be a high quality job (owned 1 month now).

Great user name as well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik Man View Post
Hello and welcome!

The granite crystal paint as on my Renegade seems to be a high quality job (owned 1 month now).

Great user name as well.
Thanks! That's what I'm hoping.

Knowing me, I'll be waxing the Jeep every two weeks and obsessing over every single bird dropping. I would hate to have the paint fade or have the clear coat fail if I keep it for more than 6 years, which I probably will.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:07 AM

First Name: Stik
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeOfFunk View Post
Thanks! That's what I'm hoping.

Knowing me, I'll be waxing the Jeep every two weeks and obsessing over every single bird dropping. I would hate to have the paint fade or have the clear coat fail if I keep it for more than 6 years, which I probably will.
The 2006 Jeep Liberty we traded getting this, had no paint issues, black plastic trim fading of course, but the paint still looked good.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
So for some mild off roading you should be fine, but really mild. Honestly if you can wait for your dealer to get one w 4x4 this would be my choice for some dirt jungle roads of Puerto Rico. Jealous man that place looks awesome. Wife refuses to become a islander or i would have considered it myself.

2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 ANVIL aka Jeepetto
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I actually can't wait for the dealer. I'm fixing up the Jags last problems and keeping it garaged until the trade in happens sometime this next week. I need to get as high an appraisal value as possible. I've been stranded for two weeks already and I need a vehicle again. Besides, my budget isn't too generous so I'll settle for whatever Renegade I can afford.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page