Rear View Cover/Box Behind Mirror - Jeep Renegade Forum
 28Likes

post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Rear View Cover/Box Behind Mirror

We had a chance to drive a trailhawk yesterday and as someone else in the forum posted, there is a lot going on over your head. Much of the bulk seems to come from behind the rear view mirror. Anyone know what all would be in there? The one we were in didn't have a display or any obvious extra features up there, but from the outside almost looked like it had a camera lens or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningGirl View Post
We had a chance to drive a trailhawk yesterday and as someone else in the forum posted, there is a lot going on over your head. Much of the bulk seems to come from behind the rear view mirror. Anyone know what all would be in there? The one we were in didn't have a display or any obvious extra features up there, but from the outside almost looked like it had a camera lens or something.
I have the same thing in my Fiat 500L. I have also wondered about this. My best guess is that it houses a transponder for the navigation system. It also holds the microphone for the hands free phone system.

One of the 3 Renegades I saw yesterday was a base Sport model. It did not have that big housing module, had just a rear view camera.

A good feature about the GPS system is that it displays the current speed limit. So if are ever uncertain what a speed limit is then just go to the GPS and click on map and it will instantly tell you what the speed limit is. It's almost always correct.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I believe it houses the forward collision warning system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:13 PM
JFS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg11 View Post
Which doesn't come on the Tailhawk, IIRC. Otherwise you'll never navigate thru a forest, down Lion's Back, etc.

And we had a discussion on this about 6 months ago...never did get definitive factory info on what was in there.

So Hmmm!, be a buddy and crack yours open. Let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm!!! View Post
One of the 3 Renegades I saw yesterday was a base Sport model. It did not have that big housing module, had just a rear view camera.
Good to know. I want the camera and not the big housing and gizmos. Did the windshield blackout still come halfway down?

Jon
2015 white Sport 4x4 M6, Air and Power packages, added Renegade 17 snowflakes and roof rails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JFS; 03-29-2015 at 04:19 PM.
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg11 View Post
That may also be housed there. But that's not available on a Fiat 500L and my 500L has that big box thing over my rear view mirror. I really think it holds the GPS transponder. My best guess.
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have that on my latitude w/ no GPS. I have the 5.0 uconnect. The auto head light sensor is on the dash. I got a good look at the box in the sun light and it look like a camera with an led. Maybe is an onboard dash cam.
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
In the rear mirror housing there is for sure the forward camera that is used by lane departure warning, ... Camera data are also used by forward collision plus system in combination with the forward medium range radar (that is on the left side near the fog light, in the area where there is the left tow hook in Trailhawk).

For Fiat 500L is the same, in Europe there is as option the City brake control, that is asystem to avoid crashes at low speed.

I don't know if there are other sensors there.
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Rear view Cover

Any body know whats under that black cover for the rear view, maybe a power supply for GPS and how it comes off?
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjadart View Post
Any body know whats under that black cover for the rear view, maybe a power supply for GPS and how it comes off?
That houses the Forward Collision Warning/Lane Crossing Warning optics. Haven't looked into removing it.

Jeeps:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk
1999 Cherokee Classic
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
That houses the Forward Collision Warning/Lane Crossing Warning optics. Haven't looked into removing it.
So if you don't have the FCW/LCW option....?

Sharon
Jeepin' since May 2015
PT Cruisin' 2000-2015
Neon Sport Coupe 1995-2000
'74 Plymouth Scamp 1983-1987

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page